(OLD) Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

leerandall
Device ID: 131102D9, 1326E147

Re: Unofficial Kodi PVR Client for HDHomeRun DVR subscribers

Post by leerandall » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:28 pm

I'm new to the Unofficial Kodi PVR Client, and I've got it set up and working nicely on my Win7 machine. I just finished reading about 40 pages in this forum topic trying to get the lay-of-the-land, and maybe get some tips on setting it up. I did find a few helpful hints along the way, I'm happy to report. However, there is one thing I want to ask that I couldn't find an answer to. In the guide, is there a way to have the guide scroll up and down with the mouse wheel rather than side to side? I've looked all over in both the PVR settings and the Kodi settings and I'm not seeing a way to change this. Thanks in advance.

mambelito

Post by mambelito » Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:53 pm

Hands down the only (well, the best) way to do Kodi with HDHomeRun DVR. I don't know if anybody else has experienced this issue. I am using Kodi (Leia) and the addon on a FireTV Cube. Since version 1.3.9 of the addon fast forward/reverse, skip forward/back is not working on recordings. I tried the current 1.3.10 and experienced the same thing. If I go back to 1.3.8 it works Ok. I am at a lost on what is different for the FireTV. Any help will be welcome.

And thank you for putting your talents to work for use HDHomeRun users.

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:09 pm

mambelito wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:53 pm
Hands down the only (well, the best) way to do Kodi with HDHomeRun DVR. I don't know if anybody else has experienced this issue. I am using Kodi (Leia) and the addon on a FireTV Cube. Since version 1.3.9 of the addon fast forward/reverse, skip forward/back is not working on recordings. I tried the current 1.3.10 and experienced the same thing. If I go back to 1.3.8 it works Ok. I am at a lost on what is different for the FireTV. Any help will be welcome.

And thank you for putting your talents to work for use HDHomeRun users.
Sorry guys, I skipped a couple days working on the next release (you're going to LOVE the 'big thing' - I had to install it everywhere here in chez djp952 ASAP for 'testing'). Going to play with this stuff tonight on various platforms to see what's going on. Knowing that 1.3.8 worked OK is a great hint, thank you!

djp952

Post by djp952 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:19 pm

clarkss12 wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 7:03 pm
Updated to the latest CoreELEC, latest version of your app will not install. Same thing about wrong PVR version.
Watching the recorded TV shows, there is no fast forward or rewind.
Thanks.

Edit: fast forward and rewind works with live streams.
There isn't much I'm going to be able to do specifically about CoreELEC, they modified the PVR API on me. The change they made isn't compatible with mainline Kodi, for now at least you need a CoreELEC specific build. timecutter has been gracious enough to make them for us, give him some time I'm sure he'll jump on it.

FWIW I installed LibreELEC latest and greatest on one of my PCs today and even I had to use an older version of my own PVR :) LibreELEC isn't fully up to date with Leia 18.0 Final.

It sucks in cases like this, but it all has to do with interface contracts. Kodi changed their addon API version right before Leia 18.0 was done, and I would be doing everyone a disservice by not adhering to it. I build the PVR using Kodi as a dependency in order to get all the proper files and know that they are the exact same ones they should be. I won't be updating the Kodi dependency until Leia 18.1 now. I've done the same with Krypton and Jarvis all along, but they both predate this project so any flux like this never happened.

I disagree with what CoreELEC did, but I understand and respect their reasoning. They wanted some additional things for IPTV put into Kodi, but it was too late for Leia 18.0. They did what they had to do. Hopefully what will happen here is that Kodi will accept their API changes for an upcoming Leia maintenance release and then everyone will be compatible again.

Looking at the recorded TV stuff right after hitting "submit"!

djp952

Post by djp952 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:44 pm

I've tried 1.3.10 (and the upcoming 1.3.11) on Windows, Android (aarch64) and Linux (x86_64), no problems with recordings noted so far. I'm going to dig out a FireStick next. I'll probably hold off on OS/X since it's mainly just Linux, they work pretty much the same.

In the meantime, I have a question for you guys -- what time zones are you all located in, and is the clock on your device(s) reading correct? Now knowing that 1.3.8 works I know exactly what changed that is causing the problem, I just don't know exactly why yet. 1.3.9 'fixed' a Leia specific issue with in-progress recordings by using the system (wall) clock in conjunction with the start and end times for the recording reported by the DVR engine.

The times from the DVR engine are in UTC, and the expectation is that when I ask the system for UTC time it will also be accurate. If the system isn't reporting UTC accurately it could definitely lead to not being able to seek -- Kodi will think you have nowhere to seek to.

If the clocks can't be trusted, I'll have to come up with some other way of solving or at least detecting that particular problem. It could still be a bug that I'm not seeing yet, of course. There are ways to deal with clocks being wrong if that's what it is :)

edit: Problem confirmed on Amazon FireStick 4K. Time zone and clock are accurate.

djp952

Post by djp952 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:39 pm

I found the problem, and it has nothing to do with the system (wall) clock. It's yet another dumb error on my part that proves I don't test enough different platforms. FWIW I'm working on that, I cleaned up the Android build for a few different things today, including generation of the 'sqlite3' shell/test application to fully test the new code.

What I found regarding this issue should be only occurring on 32-bit non-Windows platforms. Android "ARM", Linux "i686", etc. There is a conversion error taking place when the current UTC time, that is specified in seconds via "time()", is adjusted into microseconds. On 32-bit platforms this will cause an overflow and make the "end time" of the stream to become negative. Kodi 18 "Leia" needs to know what the start and end times for a stream are to be able to seek, and making the "end time" negative tells it that the end comes before the beginning, so no seek operations are possible.

This is an easy fix, but I wasn't quite ready for 1.3.11 to go out yet with it's current set of changes. I think I need to sleep on this tonight to determine if it would be better to just fix this glitch and call that "1.3.11" since it's a priority concern, or take a few more hours over the weekend to test the real 1.3.11 and get it all out to you at the same time early next week. Your opinions count -- if this is a blocking issue for you letting me know certainly sways the decision process between issuing a new release and "the users will hate me if I do this" :D

I am sorry for the inconvenience, but I really do think the root cause has been established now and I will try to get you fixed up ASAP.

leerandall

Post by leerandall » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:55 pm

leerandall wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:28 pm
I'm new to the Unofficial Kodi PVR Client, and I've got it set up and working nicely on my Win7 machine. I just finished reading about 40 pages in this forum topic trying to get the lay-of-the-land, and maybe get some tips on setting it up. I did find a few helpful hints along the way, I'm happy to report. However, there is one thing I want to ask that I couldn't find an answer to. In the guide, is there a way to have the guide scroll up and down with the mouse wheel rather than side to side? I've looked all over in both the PVR settings and the Kodi settings and I'm not seeing a way to change this. Thanks in advance.
Is there a more appropriate place to ask this question about the Unofficial Kodi PVR Client where it might get answered? I note that this thread appears to be geared more toward bug fixes, and my question is more about usage.

djp952

Post by djp952 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:20 pm

leerandall wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:55 pm
leerandall wrote:
Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:28 pm
Is there a more appropriate place to ask this question about the Unofficial Kodi PVR Client where it might get answered? I note that this thread appears to be geared more toward bug fixes, and my question is more about usage.
Your best bet is probably the formal Kodi forims accessible at kodi.tv. The PVR provides no real influence over the Kodi UI, and since I don't know the answer I won't try to provide any information that could make your life even harder 😁

leerandall

Post by leerandall » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:01 pm

Thank you.

mambelito

Post by mambelito » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:39 am

djp952 wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:39 pm
I found the problem, and it has nothing to do with the system (wall) clock. It's yet another dumb error on my part that proves I don't test enough different platforms. FWIW I'm working on that, I cleaned up the Android build for a few different things today, including generation of the 'sqlite3' shell/test application to fully test the new code.

What I found regarding this issue should be only occurring on 32-bit non-Windows platforms. Android "ARM", Linux "i686", etc. There is a conversion error taking place when the current UTC time, that is specified in seconds via "time()", is adjusted into microseconds. On 32-bit platforms this will cause an overflow and make the "end time" of the stream to become negative. Kodi 18 "Leia" needs to know what the start and end times for a stream are to be able to seek, and making the "end time" negative tells it that the end comes before the beginning, so no seek operations are possible.

This is an easy fix, but I wasn't quite ready for 1.3.11 to go out yet with it's current set of changes. I think I need to sleep on this tonight to determine if it would be better to just fix this glitch and call that "1.3.11" since it's a priority concern, or take a few more hours over the weekend to test the real 1.3.11 and get it all out to you at the same time early next week. Your opinions count -- if this is a blocking issue for you letting me know certainly sways the decision process between issuing a new release and "the users will hate me if I do this" :D

I am sorry for the inconvenience, but I really do think the root cause has been established now and I will try to get you fixed up ASAP.
Again, thanks for you efforts. No rush here, 1.3.8 works fine on official Kodi 18 on the FireTV, of course without the new goodies but I'll survive fine. Of all the devices I use I think that is the only one running 32-bit. By the way I tried 1.3.10 (64b) on the Samsung S8 and it works great. Take the needed time to do a full 1.3.11 instead of an incremental fix.

clarkss12
Device ID: 104CBEA5 ;1055A951

Post by clarkss12 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:13 am

Thank you, Michael. I will be waiting for Timecutter to pop in as you said. You are doing a great job......... thanks again.

usafle

Post by usafle » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:26 am

It seems Kodi pushed out an update yesterday to the Leia build that broke this plug-in on Android devices. It won't enable any more for me. Anyone else?

pam-mo

Post by pam-mo » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:57 am

Update / Note:
Sorry, I am choosing to leave this post here in case it is helpful. However, after posting I realized I am not describing the app this thread is intended for. The details I have provided in this post are related to a kodi app provided by SiliconDust. (https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:HDHomeRun).
end update

Yes,
HDHomeRun app for kodi no longer behaves desirably after kodi 18 release.
-p

More info:
I now find HDHomeRun app can not open the channel/guide menu and undesirably persists displays of:
1. the large green HD logo in the center
2. playback position bar along the bottom
3. a dialog box with analog clock graphic in the lower right.

Additional software improvement suggests:
1. Add a clock display when the channel menu is open
2. Add an configuration option to cleanly exit app without confirmation dialog (existing options are not helpful for me)

I am running Lubuntu with summary detail:
lsb_release -a ; uname -a ; apt-cache policy kodi |grep Installed
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS
Release: 18.04
Codename: bionic
Linux j3710 4.15.0-45-generic #48-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jan 29 16:28:13 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
Installed: 2:18.0+git20190128.1934-final-0bionic

djp952

Post by djp952 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:00 am

February 2nd -- if djp952 sees his shadow we are in for six more weeks of defects :)

Version 1.3.11 (2019.02.02)
  • Update libhdhomerun library to version 2018.10.27
  • Use pipelined/multiplexed HTTP requests when accessing backend EPG data
  • (Leia) Fix bug introduced in v1.3.9 that caused different EPG broadcast IDs to be generated
  • (Leia) Fix bug introduced in v1.3.9 that caused invalid stream end times to be reported on 32-bit GCC platforms
  • (Android) Restrict exported symbols to prevent name collisions with shared libraries
Downloads:
Kodi 16 "Jarvis" : https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerun ... odi-Jarvis
Kodi 17 "Krypton" : https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerun ... di-Krypton
Kodi 18 "Leia" : https://github.com/djp952/pvr.hdhomerun ... -Kodi-Leia

LEIA USERS: THIS PVR VERSION REQUIRES LEIA "18.0" FINAL. IT WILL NOT INSTALL ON RC5.2 OR EARLIER.

Sooner than I wanted to hit you guys again, but I wanted to get the Leia folks up and running again ASAP. Let's start there. When I made changes in the Leia 1.3.9 build to deal with in-progress recordings, I inadvertently caused an integer overflow that I didn't catch. Visual C++ (Windows) and 64-bit versions of GCC (everything else) were fine with it, but the 32-bit GCC compiler treated the result of a multiplication as 32-bit before assigning it to the 64-bit value Kodi wants. This caused the end time being reported for the stream to become negative. If the end time is before the start time, Kodi Leia won't let you seek.

The OTHER important thing in here is really cool. I would have preferred a couple more days of testing, but I ran it through everything I have hooked up and it seems solid. Thanks to a well placed comment about an unrelated GitHub issue opened by lurkermike, he gave me an idea on how to speed up the EPG loads. I had been tinkering with this on and off but it never occurred to me that the backend is actually HTTP/1.1 compliant, which means individual requests can be pipelined. Loading the guide data takes a great deal of individual queries to accomplish, and doing them serially it what takes so long. Crossing my fingers that it really works for everyone, but you should see a very significant performance increase loading EPG data from the backend. Depending on the device and network connection, my results here have been "yeah, that's notably faster" to "HOLY COW IS IT DONE ALREADY".

I would like to ask you guys to refrain from ramping up Kodi to request more EPG data than you need, like don't change it from 3 days to 10 days just because it's faster to load now. While in theory this change may actually use less of SiliconDust's backend bandwidth, if everyone suddenly cranked things up to 11 on them we may cause them some pain. I set Kodi for 3 days of EPG here on 'real' systems and just 1 day on my test systems and it's worked out just fine. Everyone's needs vary, of course!

Sorry about the bug, and I hope that the EPG performance makes up for it :D
Last edited by djp952 on Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

djp952

Post by djp952 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:04 am

usafle wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:26 am
It seems Kodi pushed out an update yesterday to the Leia build that broke this plug-in on Android devices. It won't enable any more for me. Anyone else?
I haven't seen anything come through the Play Store on me or anything new on the kodi mirrors page, what version number is Kodi telling you in Settings / System Info? I see "Kodi 18.0 Git:20190128-d81c34c", which matches the date and commit that the Leia PVR is built against.