Unofficial HDHomeRun DVR repository for DEB based systems

Downloads & Instructions
gvilomar

Re: Unofficial HDHomeRun DVR repository for DEB based systems

Post by gvilomar »

Hi gtb,

I wanted to thank you for the your work. I followed the instructions for my Raspberry Pi and it worked perfectly. Take care!

G

mxlance

Post by mxlance »

I am new-ish to linux.
I am trying to install on kubuntu.
I created a text file named (unofficial-hdhomerun-dvr-repo.list) and placed it in "/etc/apt"
When i run (sudo apt-get install hdhomerun-record) i get an error.
Unable to locate package hdhomerun-record

Any ideas what i have done wrong?
thank you

jjm1982

Post by jjm1982 »

mxlance wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:23 am I am new-ish to linux.
I am trying to install on kubuntu.
I created a text file named (unofficial-hdhomerun-dvr-repo.list) and placed it in "/etc/apt"
When i run (sudo apt-get install hdhomerun-record) i get an error.
Unable to locate package hdhomerun-record

Any ideas what i have done wrong?
thank you
Did you run `sudo apt-get update`? That refreshes all available pacakges in your cache. You will see apt complain about the unofficial repo not being secure or something, you can ignore that error. Once it's done run your command to install hdhomerun-record.

mxlance

Post by mxlance »

thank you for the reply,
yes i did "apt-get update" still did not work.
same error.
after searching the forum i found the linux manual install and managed to get it working that way.
not sure why it would not find the package.
thanks

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

mxlance wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:23 am I created a text file named (unofficial-hdhomerun-dvr-repo.list) and placed it in "/etc/apt"
I have not (re)verified the process, but I think you missed the part about putting the file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ but in any case, all is well that ends, so if you have a working install, great.

mxlance

Post by mxlance »

you are correct, i did miss "sources.list.d/" good grief.
thank you for the reply

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

Note: A change in the initial URL for the file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d file (which is recommended for future AWS changes) was made in the initial setup instructions. There is no need to change existing setups.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

A small heads up for users of my repos (no actual action required, just a heads up)

For a long time on linux systems /var/run and /run have been aliased, with more recent filesystem definitions stating that /var/run is deprecated in favor of /run. Some distros are now complaining about the use of /var/run rather than /run, so I will be changing the default configurations to specify /run. However, there is no clean way to change the home directory of the record engine user while it is running, so while any future upgrade to a newer hdhomerun-record version will attempt to change the home directory of the hdhomerun user to be /run if it is currently /var/run, it will not succeed on an update with an actively running record engine. Eventually for major distro version upgrades (when all services should normally be shutdown) the change should happen, but if you wish to allow the change now, shutdown the record engine service before upgrading at some point, or modify the home directory of the hdhomerun user yourself.

jarrah

Post by jarrah »

I too would just like to say thank you for creating and hosting this repo as it has made installing and using hdhomerun recorder so much easier!

uncleaelfrich

Post by uncleaelfrich »

I found it worked best for me to install the unsigned "unofficial" repository with this source

Code: Select all

deb [allow-insecure=yes] https://unofficial-hdhomerun-dvr-repo.s3.us-east-1.amazonaws.com/deb stable non-free

jmike

Post by jmike »

After I create the file 'unofficial-hdhomerun-dvr-repo.list' in /etc/apt/sources.list.d containing 'deb https://unofficial-hdhomerun-dvr-repo.s ... ws.com/deb stable non-free' and run sudo apt-get update, I see this:
E: The repository 'https://unofficial-hdhomerun-dvr-repo.s ... ws.com/deb stable Release' is not signed.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

And as stated numerous times it never will be signed and was stated as a disclaimer in the first post.
gtb wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:36 pm Unofficial HDHomeRun DVR repository for DEB based systems

. . .

Disclaimers/Caveats/Requests
  • This is an unofficial repo, and SD is not in any way responsible for support for the repo or the debs. Please do not bug SD for support regarding installing/using this repo. If you have questions, comments, or requests (or better yet, patches), please post in this topic area or open issues on github.
  • These debs have only been (very very) lightly tested on a limited set of recent systems in test modes (I do not run any debian based systems). In particular, these have never been tested on a init or upstart only system (patches welcome), only with systemd.
  • These packages are not signed. You will have to accept the warnings regarding unsigned packages
  • If SD asks for the repo to be removed, it shall be.
  • The repo may disappear at any point.
  • I intend to try to update the repo quickly after a new recorder engine release, but delays will likely happen.
  • Updating the recorder restarts the service. Chose your system update times wisely (or disable the repo by default and enable/update manually)
  • I have no idea what the official SD repo will require/support, but when it appears you should expect to have to delete these packages and reinstall with the official solution, and likely manually adjust permissions/setups.
  • I would expect that once SD makes available their own official repo that I will remove this unofficial one in a reasonably short time period (I have no special desire to maintain a repo).
If you wish to use this, you will have to accept such.

volkswagner

Post by volkswagner »

Thank you for posting this!

I was able to get this working on Univention Corporate Server (based on Debian).

I had a long path to my recording directory and one upstream directory was missing the permissions to traverse the directory.
So for those with permission or access issues "recording path not found or not ready" make sure hdhomerun user or "all users"/other
can traverse the upstream directories with chmod +x or similar.

I still have to figure out my firewall issue, but that's for UCS forums.

Cheers!

wrbluepearl

Post by wrbluepearl »

Also wanted to stop by and thank you for creating this repo - I'm using it with Ubuntu 20.04 and it's working great. I'd previously done a manual install, which worked fine, but this makes things cleaner and integrates HDHomeRun with webmin (as a side effect of creating a systemd service) so it's really slick.

I did have to do something a little different from what uncleaelfrich did to get the repo to work smoothly with apt - I had to mark the repo as "trusted" because the most recent version of apt appears to no longer allow per-repo allow-insecure.

Code: Select all

deb [trusted=yes] https://unofficial-hdhomerun-dvr-repo.s3.us-east-1.amazonaws.com/deb stable non-free
Otherwise, it's working great, and I appreciate your efforts!

walkerx
Device ID: 1252F21E, 1252F270

Post by walkerx »

Hi,

This was a lot easier compared to the manual install as running on ubuntu 20.04 headless with webmin and console for access

This automatically setup the info needed for systemd

thanks for the work done