Unofficial HDHomeRun DVR repository for DEB based systems

Downloads & Instructions
gtb
Expert

Re: Unofficial HDHomeRun DVR repository for DEB based systems

Post by gtb »

Dsab wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:57 pm Any ideas?
Check the DVR engine logs (same folder as the specified location for recording). They may tell you something (if there are no logs a common issue is the permission of the folder you set for recording does not actually allow writing by the engine, which typically will be set to run as user hdhomerun). Also check the journald logs (or wherever your logs are stored in your system type) for any other interesting entries [remember that viewing full logs may require running with elevated privs].
Last edited by gtb on Sun Mar 11, 2018 7:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dsab

Post by Dsab »

gtb wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:05 pm
Dsab wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 1:57 pm Any ideas?
Check the DVR engine logs (same folder as the specified location for recording). They may tell you something (if there are no logs a common issue is the permission of the folder you set for recording does not actually allow writing by the engine, which typically will be set to run as user hdhomerun). Also check the journald logs (or wherever your logs are stored in your system type) for any other interesting entries [remember that full logs may require running with elevated privs].
[/quote]

Folder permission was the problem. Thanks for the help.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

Dsab wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 6:36 am Folder permission was the problem. Thanks for the help.
I have updated the directions (first post) to add in an item about permissions. Perhaps that will help the next person. Thanks.

ttc

Post by ttc »

toofast99 wrote: Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:30 pm I just wanted to say thank you. I used this to get a Raspberry pi 3 working as the record engine. All is well and it handles it much better than I thought. 3 concurrent streams and the CPU usage hovers around 20%.
I have a similar setup running RPi3. I have an older NAS that doesn't support SSH, so I did "mount -t cifs -o username=<username of NAS>,password=<password of NAS>,rw '\\<IP of NAS>\HDHomeRun' /srv/HDHomeRun" to redirect the /srv/HDHomeRun folder of the RPi3 to my NAS with what think are the correct permissions. The record engine shows up on My HDHomeRun.com and shows the correct available recording space with NAS attached, basically re-directing the RPI3 record folder to a NAS record folder. Everything appears good. However, I don't get a log file when the record engine starts and the HDHomeRun app reports "No DVR Configured". HDHomeRun Version is 20180327 on both DVR and HDHomeRun CONNECT. Can you elaborate on your setup?

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

ttc wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:13 pm I have a similar setup running RPi3. I have an older NAS that doesn't support SSH, so I did "mount -t cifs -o username=<username of NAS>,password=<password of NAS>,rw '\\<IP of NAS>\HDHomeRun' /srv/HDHomeRun" to redirect the /srv/HDHomeRun folder of the RPi3 to my NAS with what think are the correct permissions.
I'll note that while some people have managed to get remote storage working at some level, SD has been pretty clear it is not generally a supported configuration as it typically will not work properly due to limitations in the remote storage protocols [it might appear to work at first, and then will fail later]. My guess would be that a block level remote storage solution using something like iSCSI probably would work, but that is not quite the same. You are typically expected to run the record engine on the device with the local disk.

ttc

Post by ttc »

gtb wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:32 pm
ttc wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:13 pm I have a similar setup running RPi3. I have an older NAS that doesn't support SSH, so I did "mount -t cifs -o username=<username of NAS>,password=<password of NAS>,rw '\\<IP of NAS>\HDHomeRun' /srv/HDHomeRun" to redirect the /srv/HDHomeRun folder of the RPi3 to my NAS with what think are the correct permissions.
I'll note that while some people have managed to get remote storage working at some level, SD has been pretty clear it is not generally a supported configuration as it typically will not work properly due to limitations in the remote storage protocols [it might appear to work at first, and then will fail later]. My guess would be that a block level remote storage solution using something like iSCSI probably would work, but that is not quite the same. You are typically expected to run the record engine on the device with the local disk.
I thought it would be at least worth a try. Even without the redirect statement (recording directly to the local drive) I have the same result. The recording engine appears to be running normal, but could indeed be a permissions issue to the record path. What syntax would allow write permission to the record path from hdhomerun userid? I thought system service users inherited root privileges?

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

ttc wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:37 pm I thought it would be at least worth a try. Even without the redirect statement (recording directly to the local drive) I have the same result. The recording engine appears to be running normal, but could indeed be a permissions issue to the record path. What syntax would allow write permission to the record path from hdhomerun userid?
Generally something like:
chown hdhomerun <path>
chmod 0700 <path>
does what you want (gives ownership to the user, and insures only that user can access the directory)
I thought system service users inherited root privileges?
No (and it would be a terrible idea of they did). The service *can* be set to run as any user (including root), but a dedicated (for the app) non-privileged user is generally best for all services (so an issue with that service does not impact or expose anything from other services).

IllMethods

Post by IllMethods »

Damn, I just spent a couple hours trying to get this to work, almost about to give up being sure that all my config was correct.

Please add to the install instructions to uncomment out the record dir line in the config :|

I felt like a F-n idiot once I noticed that line was commented out...

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

IllMethods wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:35 pm Please add to the install instructions to uncomment out the record dir line in the config :|
I'll see how to improve the docs (and/or the sample conf file mentioning comments in general, and pointing out that the "REQUIRED* line also means removing the comment #). Thanks for the suggestion.

cscoppa

Post by cscoppa »

I just want to take a second to thank you for taking the time to put this together. It's SO much easier to stay up to date this way! :)

Uxorious

Post by Uxorious »

Is it possible to have a headless Linux box record DRM content from Cable as long as I only watch it through DRM capable devices like Windows?
(I assume Kodi/Linux still can't play DRM content)

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Currently only WMC (windows 7/8.x) can record DRM content.

If all go right, when one can finally record DRM with the recording engine, it won't matter what platform the engine is on but though expected, it isn't guaranteed.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

Uxorious wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:41 am Is it possible to have a headless Linux box record DRM content from Cable as long as I only watch it through DRM capable devices like Windows?
There is no current ability in the shipping HDHR DVR ecosystem for any platform to record content for later playback that requires a protected path. The stated intent when the capability to record ships is that all recording engine platforms (linux, windows, nas, mac, android, ....) should be able to record such content for playback on any devices that implement the required path protections. A headless linux box is (mostly) indistinguishable from a NAS (which typically runs linux headless), and NAS support has always been part of the expected list of supported record engine platforms for both protection required and unprotected content from the earliest kickstarter days.

Acetek

Post by Acetek »

There is an error here in that when you run through the steps and get to the apt-get install hdhomerun-record it cannot be found
this is because in the previous apt-get update it disables the package because it is from an unsecure repository so it will be disabled.

This can be fixed by adding a file to the /etc/apt/apt.conf.d directory
the name of the file I created is 75homerun,
In the file add the following line including the semicolon

Acquire::AllowInsecureRepositories true;

I installed this on a Linux Mint 19.1 box

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

Acetek wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:24 am There is an error here
No, there is no error, the first post explicitly states you have to accept repos that are not signed. If you neither read that item, or if you don't know how to do that, or do not believe it applies to you, you may not be tall enough to ride this ride.