Unofficial HDHomeRun DVR repository for DEB based systems

Downloads & Instructions
gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

Availability of Unofficial HDHomeRun DVR repository for Debian based distributions

Based on the response for a (now expired) docker topic, it would appear that SD is willing to tolerate unofficial repositories at least until such time as they make their own available, so I am making available a Debian repo based on my packaging at github at https://github.com/garybuhrmaster/packaging/.

Installation
  • For apt, add the repository location to a new file in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ (I called mine unofficial-hdhomerun-dvr-repo.list) which contains the following line:

Code: Select all

deb https://unofficial-hdhomerun-dvr-repo.s3.us-east-1.amazonaws.com/deb stable non-free

• If not already available you may need to install the https transport

sudo apt-get install apt-transport-https
  • for apt install the package

sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get install hdhomerun-record
  • Read the docs at /usr/share/doc/hdhomerun_record/README and the related man pages (hdhomerun_record and hdhomerun.conf)
  • Configure the RecordPath in /etc/hdhomerun.conf
  • Insure permissions on the directory specified by the RecordPath allow writing by the record engine userid (hdhomerun)
  • Configure your firewall (if needed) [the systemd unit will attempt to open ports for firewalld users when started]
  • Enable/start the service

sudo systemctl enable hdhomerun_record.service; sudo systemctl start hdhomerun_record.service

Disclaimers/Caveats/Requests
  • This is an unofficial repo, and SD is not in any way responsible for support for the repo or the debs. Please do not bug SD for support regarding installing/using this repo. If you have questions, comments, or requests (or better yet, patches), please post in this topic area or open issues on github.
  • These debs have only been (very very) lightly tested on a limited set of recent systems in test modes (I do not run any debian based systems). In particular, these have never been tested on a init or upstart only system (patches welcome), only with systemd.
  • These packages are not signed. You will have to accept the warnings regarding unsigned packages
  • If SD asks for the repo to be removed, it shall be.
  • The repo may disappear at any point.
  • I intend to try to update the repo quickly after a new recorder engine release, but delays will likely happen.
  • Updating the recorder restarts the service. Chose your system update times wisely (or disable the repo by default and enable/update manually)
  • I have no idea what the official SD repo will require/support, but when it appears you should expect to have to delete these packages and reinstall with the official solution, and likely manually adjust permissions/setups.
  • I would expect that once SD makes available their own official repo that I will remove this unofficial one in a reasonably short time period (I have no special desire to maintain a repo).
Last edited by gtb on Thu May 23, 2019 3:03 pm, edited 4 times in total.

gtb
Expert

Re: Unofficial HDHomeRun DVR repository for DEB based systems

Post by gtb »

Reserved for future updates

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

I tried this out on Mint 18.2 today.

I created the directory /srv/HDHomeRun to use for the recording folder since that location was already mentioned in the hdhomerun.conf file. I just un-commented the RecordPath line after creating the directory. I set the HDHomeRun directory permissions to 777. I guess I should have tried it "as is" first just to see what would happen.
To start the recorder: systemctl start hdhomerun_record.service
To stop the recorder: systemctl stop hdhomerun_record.service
To automate startup: systemctl enable hdhomerun_record.service
I stopped and started the recorder manually without any trouble. I'd like to try out the automated startup but I don't plan on using this PC for running the DVR permanently. Is there a way to disable automatic startup if I enable it?

Edit: I figured it out. I had to run "sudo systemctl disable hdhomerun_record.service" to prevent it from automatically starting at system boot.

System:
CPU: Pentium G860 (Sandy Bridge)
Motherboard: MSI B75MA-E33
RAM: 4GB CORSAIR XMS DDR3 1333
Storage: 2TB Seagate HDD

jcrawf32

Raspberry pi with external hard drive

Post by jcrawf32 »

I got the program loaded on my raspberry pi. But I can't seem to get the recording path to work. The logs keeps giving me this message "Recording: RecordPath not specified".

I followed the instructions for modifying the save location and set the save location to an external USB hard drive. The hard drive has been formatted ext4 and has been mounted and given permission for read and write.

Is there anything that I am missing?

Thanks for the help

Jimmersd
Device ID: 131F6468, 13129237

Post by Jimmersd »

I just tried to install this on an ubuntu 17.10 server and ran into this problem.

E: The repository 'https://s3.amazonaws.com/unofficial-hdh ... r-repo/deb stable Release' is not signed.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package hdhomerun-record

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

Jimmersd wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:41 pm I just tried to install this on an ubuntu 17.10 server and ran into this problem....
Which was as explicitly stated in the caveats. I can say with some confidence that those packages will not be signed, as you should have zero reason to trust the packager (I certainly don't). You could either accept unsigned packages, build your own packages (using the packaging repo as a guide if you want), or install the recorder manually.

At some future point SD has suggested that they will be providing packages for at least a few major distributions (and debian based distros are presumably in that list) and I would expect they will be signed with their key(s).

Jimmersd

Post by Jimmersd »

gtb wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:12 pm Which was as explicitly stated in the caveats. I can say with some confidence that those packages will not be signed, as you should have zero reason to trust the packager (I certainly don't). You could either accept unsigned packages, build your own packages (using the packaging repo as a guide if you want), or install the recorder manually.

At some future point SD has suggested that they will be providing packages for at least a few major distributions (and debian based distros are presumably in that list) and I would expect they will be signed with their key(s).
Sorry. Missed that part. I'll try changing the restrictions.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: Raspberry pi with external hard drive

Post by jasonl »

jcrawf32 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:45 am I got the program loaded on my raspberry pi. But I can't seem to get the recording path to work. The logs keeps giving me this message "Recording: RecordPath not specified".

I followed the instructions for modifying the save location and set the save location to an external USB hard drive. The hard drive has been formatted ext4 and has been mounted and given permission for read and write.

Is there anything that I am missing?

Thanks for the help
What are the contents of your hdhomerun.conf file?

Jimmersd

Re: Raspberry pi with external hard drive

Post by Jimmersd »

jasonl wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:07 pm What are the contents of your hdhomerun.conf file?
I hadn't actually gotten that far I was just trying to download from the repository. Kept failing, I gave up.

I'll try a different way.

dartrunner

Post by dartrunner »

gtb wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:12 pm
Jimmersd wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:41 pm I just tried to install this on an ubuntu 17.10 server and ran into this problem....
Which was as explicitly stated in the caveats. I can say with some confidence that those packages will not be signed, as you should have zero reason to trust the packager (I certainly don't). You could either accept unsigned packages, build your own packages (using the packaging repo as a guide if you want), or install the recorder manually.

I use this, but you are taking the risk that the repository could be used nefariously.

deb [trusted=yes] http://s3.amazonaws.com/unofficial-hdho ... r-repo/deb stable non-free
The trusted option is what turns off the GPG check. See man 5 sources.list for details.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

dartrunner wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:53 pm I use this, but you are taking the risk that the repository could be used nefariously.
Signing does not imply the repo is not nefarious. It only means that it is not modified from when signed. And since no one is providing me a free hardware HSM device (so I could do secure offline signing and secure upload to the cloud), nor, for that matter do I have a way to insure the upstream itself is not nefarious, nor do I have the needed E&O insurance to cover me in the case that something bad does happen (and someone takes umbrage at the results and decides to claim damages), is a reason I choose to supply the repos under as much as possible an "as-is" basis. As the contents are transported via https, one does get a small amount of protection for nefarious in-line transport modification, but there is certainly no assurance. Yes, that is all partially a cop-out. So be it.

I do expect SD to eventually provide formal repos (with signing based on their build systems) for these platforms. I would not be surprised (but have zero knowledge) that they will consider the community contributed approaches for the various platforms. But that is no assurance one will not need to start from scratch.

toofast99

Post by toofast99 »

I just wanted to say thank you. I used this to get a Raspberry pi 3 working as the record engine. All is well and it handles it much better than I thought. 3 concurrent streams and the CPU usage hovers around 20%.

Dsab

Post by Dsab »

I tried installing the record engine on my new Linux server using the SD download instructions without luck, so I tried your repo and it works, sort of. I can view DRM channels, but I get an error (Unable to play channel; DVR Failure) when trying to tune to any non-DRM channel. Any ideas?

I previously had the record engine running on a Shield TV which was working fine. I haven't found any instructions on how to change the record engine server from the Shield to my server, so I just unplugged the Shield for now.

The my.hdhomerun page shows one record engine running 20180215beta1 (Linux server). My Shield was running the last official release.

Thanks.