W10 Client User Guide for PC or Phone

Downloads & Instructions
Mediaman
Expert
Device ID: 131045A9, 131F4A88, 1080278D

Post by Mediaman »

Currently the HDHomerun live viewing app opens with the last channel opened. In general to open Slices [the live viewing guide system] you can enter a number or use the up or down arrows on a keyboard or remote to reveal these tools.

Here you will see the slices channel guide on the right and the action bar on the bottom. The action bar has, starting from the left: up and down audio buttons, << [back 10 seconds], pause[/play], description [expanded description option] , >> [forward 30 seconds], SAP [stereo/5.1], CC [closed caption – which is automatic on mute], screen back light up and down, <> [zoom], [one box overlaps another] Full screen/window, record [currently opens to a task setting page] and Record Engine [opens on the Recordings files page]. Four methods of using slices in W10 via pc or phone are by keyboard, remote control, mouse and touch screen.

When a channel is highlighted in green you can use a right arrow to expose the next show on that channel.

Keyboard Controls
Arrow Keys – up or down opens slices. In this mode the arrow keys move you around the guide listings and the action bar. If you highlight an item on the action bar and press Enter then that action should happen. If a channel is highlighted and you press right arrow the slices guide expands to reveal information on the current show. Pressing right arrow again reveals the next show, info and start time. Esc closes the guide.

With slices closed and live tv running the left arrow skips back 10 seconds and right forward 30 seconds [if available] via time shifting feature. Space Bar will Pause/Play and works live or with slices open. Both also function when playing a recording, plus up arrow will skip 10 minutes forward and down back 10 minutes. When in the Record Engine the arrow keys provide movement around the program. Enter is used to open an area and ESC to exit. Other keyboard active keys:

Numbers – auto opens slices search by number in live tv
ESC – from live tv opens record engine, in slices it closes the guide, from a recording playing it closes the recording and returns to the recordings file.
Alt + F4 - Exit program

Mouse Control [with scroll]
Left button or scroll wheel will open the Slices Guide. In slices moving the wheel will move the green cursor up or down the guide. Moving the mouse pointer over the highlighted slice will reveal a > here. Placing the moue pointer on the > and then left or right click will open up the slice and reveal information text. Clicking again will reveal the next show on that channel and related information. On the left side of the screen will be a fainted <; clicking the left button with the mouse pointer on it will collapse or close a slice or the slices guide, using the right button will leave the guide on the opening screen. A left click with the mouse anywhere in the screen will close slices. From here it is all about positioning the pointer and clicking. Putting the mouse on any icon on the action bar and left clicking will do that action. FYI – using the scroll wheel in a recording will move the recording forward or back 10 minutes per click.

To open Settings
Moving the mouse point to the upper left corner of the TV screen for the SD Client and it will reveal a hidden hamburger button. Click on it to open settings. Currently there are settings of Shrink for Television Screen, Control Master Volume Level, Send Diagnostics, and Early Access to New Features. Also you will see the App version here. Early access has no function until after the Release Candidate goes public.

Remote Control
For Live TV with the slices guide closed the D pad arrows work as follows: the left arrow will move back 10 seconds and right arrow will move forward 30 seconds; up or down will open the slices guide. If the remote has recorded playback control buttons then the functions are >I [forward 10 minutes], I< [back 10 minutes], << [back about 10 seconds], >> [forward 30 seconds]. Also with the slices guide open the D pad arrows can control movement in the guide or on the Action Bar and is seen via the movement of a green highlighted cursor. Center button [or OK] either selects the channel or a function on the Action Bar. These functions also work in a recording playback.

OK button [enter or next]; Pause [works live or recorded]; Play [works live or recorded]; Volume [works live or recorded]; Back or Return [from a live tv screen it opens Record Engine, from a recording it exits].

Channel up/down – works with live tv to move one channel as expected or when in slices

Numbers – auto opens slices search [by number only for live tv only], enter available number in your guide and the corresponding channel listing will appear in the bottom right corner. Here you can right arrow to reveal program information. Use up or down arrows to move from there in the guide, or OK/Enter to open the channel.

Adapt a MCE Remote to open HDHomeRun and assign keystroke.
by NYPlayer » Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:02 pm
I got this working I assigned CTRL-ALT-H to the shortcut I created on my desktop using procedure below.

1 Open A File Explorer Window.
2. On File Explorer bar type the below. (Copy and Paste)

%windir%\explorer.exe shell:::{4234d49b-0245-4df3-b780-3893943456e1}

3. Hit enter

4. Right Click on HDHomerun create a shorcut it will ask you to put on desktop that is ok. Rename Shortcut something like HDHR

Download AdvancedMCERemoteMapper from

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=164252.

Run as administrator set your green button apply to registry restart pc.

Touch Screen
Pretend you’re a mouse! There are no controls for skipping 10 minutes forward or backwards.

Tips
Live Viewing Buffer – whenever you open a channel live you start a buffer of the stream. This allows for time shifting [and someday possibly to make it a recording]. Currently live DRM protected cable channels and those who only use the basic channel service provided by Silicondust [non-recording services] have limited playback and pause ability depending on internal ram in the rendering device. Non-subscribers may now pause a show in progress [up to 60 minutes, DRM content included] and then resume playback use skip forward.

How to have HDHomeRun open as a Window in W10

Currently the default setting is to open HDHomeRun as a full screen but if you adjust the screen size and close it that way it will open that way. Start by using the Windows Controls in the top right corner. Click on the Maximize/Restore button to switch between full screen/minimized full/smaller box. In the smaller size mode you can adjust the box to the size you like as you would any window normally. You can now use the Action bar Full screen/window button [two boxes overlapping] to toggle between full screen and the last window screen size set by the Maximize/Restore button. As long as you use the action bar to switch between window and full which ever state you close the program at it will open there.

How to Limit the Channel List

Open http://my.hdhomerun.com/ then click on the channel line in the tuner box to open Channel Lineup.Here you will find a list of channels that the tuner see’s. Pushing the Detect Channels button will rebuild the file of channels. Make sure you are not recording or watching anything as it will close all the tuners for use in the scan. This scan will take some time to compile depending on total of channels the SP has. Before or after a scan you can also click on the grayed out star. One click turns the star gold. This, for HDHomeRun record engine creates a priority for a channel as a recording source. It also adds the channel to a favorites file used by DLNA direct tuning systems. A second click removes the channel from some DVR or viewing only systems [specifically HDHomerun]. Lastly you may see badges to the right side of the list. No badge means the channel is 480 or Standard Definition, HD means it is either 720 or 1080 High Definition, AVC means it is distributed by the provider as h.264 rather than the more common MPEG2. Another badge is DRM [digital rights management] which is an additional protection beyond encryption that the CC is used for decoding. Multiple badges may exist for one channel. For those with a prime and a CC properly setup the channel list should show all the channels that are authorized by your subscription with your SP after running Detect Channels from the Channels Lineup section.

The basic level of guide service for a tuner purchaser is 24 hours of slices guide. Extended DVR service is available.

Please see the Record Engine Users Guide for instructions related to expanded functions of the integrated DVR.

Edit 5/9/18
Last edited by Mediaman on Wed May 09, 2018 12:54 pm, edited 6 times in total.

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Re: W10 Client User Guide for PC or Phone

Post by NYPlayer »

These guides are great and should be stickies.

clarkss12
Device ID: 1055A951;10781466;1080270E;153070FD;

Post by clarkss12 »

NYPlayer wrote: Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:13 pm These guides are great and should be stickies.
+1, I do see something strange in the first graphic, it says "College Football". Looks like baseball to me, but maybe things have changed.

DebbieFL33
Device ID: 1318CAEB

Post by DebbieFL33 »

@mediaman and @clarkss

Thank you both for the written guides and videos. You both have made this process so much easier for many of us and hopefully more to come with all of the the extra time you have devoted to helping fellow users. I do refer to both periodically to refresh and even at times to change the way I utilize the SD DVR.

:D :D :D

Mediaman
Expert

Post by Mediaman »

@clarkss12 Check the score board. Game went long with all those hits! Sports, always need to be padding those recordings! How much is the real question... lesson for all users.

edit 5/8/18
This chat with clarkss12 may be confusing ro readers. Somewhere along the line the image posting company dropped support and original pics on a laptop are missing so I had to redo them with new ones. Pretty hard to reproduce that picture but it may be somewhere on silicondusts web site as a TV screen image...
Last edited by Mediaman on Mon May 07, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mva5580

Post by mva5580 »

This is a nice guide, thank you.

However I was really hoping to come into this guide and find the "previous channel" command, and it doesn't seem to exist lol. Unfortunate.

phreakwars

Post by phreakwars »

Reviving this topic..

I have a question.

Is there a keystroke to go from windowed mode to full screen and vise versa? Also a key stroke to open/close slices?

I have AdvancedMCERemoteMapper and I want to set it up for my HD Homerun tuner on my HTPC in Windows 10.

I have it mapped to start up the app with one of the colored buttons, which of course gives me the slices on the right but is in a windowed mode. I tried ALT+ENTER but this did nothing. I know I can remap this in Kodi but I'd just as soon be able to do it with the HD Homerun app. Looked all over the site and haven't been able to find any keyboard shortcut keys. Can this be done or am I stuck using my wireless keyboard to do it?

Thanks.

jflo91

Post by jflo91 »

here is the scenario...

i have a live program paused for 5-10mins....

I resume the program and decide that I would like to go live...
however, I do not want to loose the live recording that has occurred (in case I want to go back).

is there a keyboard shortcut to jump to live?

of course i could switch channels and then back, this would effectively go live, but it would loose the recorded time. i could continually hit the right arrow button until live...

Mediaman
Expert

Post by Mediaman »

jflo91 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:17 am is there a keyboard shortcut to jump to live?

of course i could switch channels and then back, this would effectively go live, but it would loose the recorded time. i could continually hit the right arrow button until live...
Currently that is the only option you have. There had been some talk of possibly being able to turn the buffer into a recording and that would possibly allow for changing the channel and back to skip to the current live stream or open the recording and have 10 min skip.

maseline_98

Post by maseline_98 »

I'm using the HdHomerun app on my win10 machine...Is there a list of all of the keyboard shortcuts? I'm specifically looking for a shortcut for the last channel. This seems like a normal TV navigation so I figured it was there, but I can't find it or figure out where it is.

Thanks

Mediaman
Expert

Post by Mediaman »

It does not exist.

Deihmos

Post by Deihmos »

I tried using this but it just isn't nearly as good as WMC.

bookgrub

Post by bookgrub »

phreakwars wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:04 am Is there a keystroke to go from windowed mode to full screen and vise versa?
Pretty much any application you get through the Microsoft Store can be switched between full-screen and windowed mode via WIN+SHIFT+ENTER. This won't work with Win32 applications, but the Windows 10 client does work with this.

RayStone1998

Post by RayStone1998 »

In order to login to Windows 10 using a PIN in Windows 10 you need to do 2 things:
1) setup PIN login
2) set do not require CTRL+ALT+DEL for login (if your Windows 10 requires CTRL-ALT-DEL to get to the login screen)

For 1), go to settings -> Accounts -> Sign-in options, click on Windows Hello PIN and follow instructions to set a PIN. Make your PIN numeric only and 6 or more digits long. Numeric PINs ensure you can enter them via the number keys on a remote.

For 2), enter WIN+R and type secpol.msc in the run window. Then go to Security Settings -> Local Policies -> Security Options in the left tree view. Click on Security Options and then in the right window, scroll down to "Interactive login: Do not require CTRL+ALT+DEL" and double-click on it. Click on the "Enabled" radio button and click OK. It is a good idea to read the information in the Explain tab to see if you want the implied security limitations this setting represents.

Now to login via a remote control, press enter (which gets you to the PIN entry screen), enter your numeric PIN, and then press Enter. You can then use the procedure (listed above) to bring up the HDHomeRun app.

I have the PC monitor mounted at my treadmill (with IR receiver at the top of the monitor) connected to a Win10 PC. Using the above, I am able to turn on the PC, login and enter HDHomeRun app by only using a remote. Then I can hit the power button on the remote to turn off everything when I am done. I don't need a mouse or a keyboard connected to the PC.

Note: I found it useful to implement a backspace key on an unused button of the remote (using AdvancedMCERemoteMapper.exe) so that if you miss-type or double type a pin digit, you can backspace to remove it.

jwhitaker

Post by jwhitaker »

I'm hearing impaired who has bought your TV tuner and DVR storage devices-- loving them since then.

I have serious issue with Win 10 app version of HDHomeRun-- its appearance of Closed Captions. The text size of closed captions is way too big, and restricted to only white on black colors. I don't need to see captions taken third, and sometime half, of the HDTV screen size. Stuck with white-only texts are too way bright for watching shows and movies in HDR / DolbyVision mode. Not sure if you realize that when in HDR / DolbyVision mode, white color gets whiter and brighter. That kind of brightness ruins my viewing experience with movies/shows with dark scenes. I need them to be in yellow on black with semi-transparent-- like 75% opaqueness.

In the next version of your app, please add font sizes, like 4 steps smaller than the current size, and several colors with opaque/semi-transparent options, like yellow on black, white on black, light gray on black