QNAP QPKG for DVR Record Engine

Downloads & Instructions
demonrik
Device ID: 108042A1, 10814D8E

Re: QNAP QPKG for DVR Record Engine

Post by demonrik »

Rew452 wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:34 pm I have changed to a new NAS and have installed HDHomeRunDVR v1.1.0,qpkg and it setup the RecordPath to DataVol1 and it all works.
But I want change the record Path to DataVol3 which is a dedicated volume just for HDHomeRunDVR.

I see using HDHomeRun DVR Manager that I can change the RecordPath from /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/HDHomeRunDVR to /share/CACHEDEV3_DATA/HDHomeRunDVR and saved but it does not seem to work.

Before making the change I stopped HDHomeRunDVR in the AppsCenter then made my change, saved and then restarted the App yet it still uses HDHomeRunDVR on DataVol1.

I then thought maybe create a shared directory named HDHomeRunDVR but OS won't let me. What am I missing?

Do I need to delete something to make the change work?

Thanks
Rew
Try having the app running, make the change in the UI, click update, then stop and start the app from app center.

Rew452

Post by Rew452 »

Hi Rik,

Tried your suggestion, same result. Change is saved in UI but when I attempt to create the share directory HDHomeRunDVR on DataVol3 does not work. It seems the HDHomeRunDVR on DataVol1 still rules.

Here is info from UI after saving.

Record Engine Parameters And Controls
Config File Location
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/HDHomeRunDVR/HDHomeRunDVR.conf
RecordPath
/share/CACHEDEV3_DATA/HDHomeRunDVR
Port
RecordStreamsMax
StorageID
2A4091CC-2F57-EAC9-6A9A-F3EA6CF75F23
RunAs
hdhomerundvr
BetaEngine

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

Rew452 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:12 am Hi Rik,

Tried your suggestion, same result. Change is saved in UI but when I attempt to create the share directory HDHomeRunDVR on DataVol3 does not work. It seems the HDHomeRunDVR on DataVol1 still rules.

Here is info from UI after saving.

Record Engine Parameters And Controls
Config File Location
/share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/HDHomeRunDVR/HDHomeRunDVR.conf
RecordPath
/share/CACHEDEV3_DATA/HDHomeRunDVR
Port
RecordStreamsMax
StorageID
2A4091CC-2F57-EAC9-6A9A-F3EA6CF75F23
RunAs
hdhomerundvr
BetaEngine
Are u asking the UI to create the folder/share?

If so.. that's not what it does.

You need to create the share in shared folders first, then point the engine to it, making sure the hdhomerundvr user has permissions to it.

Rew452

Post by Rew452 »

I End up with the same OS restriction creating a shared folder on DataVol3 named HDHomeRunDVR. But I can create using another name such as HDHomeRunDVRa. Can I name it something else and it still work?

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

Rew452 wrote: Sun Jan 30, 2022 9:28 am I End up with the same OS restriction creating a shared folder on DataVol3 named HDHomeRunDVR. But I can create using another name such as HDHomeRunDVRa. Can I name it something else and it still work?
Yep.
There is a loose connection between the share name and the folder name itself.
For the share your NAS can only have 1 share called HDHomeRunDVR but underneath it can point to any folder. For ease of use and simplicity the NAS will mirror the names of the share and folder, hence u can't create another HDHomeRunDVR share when one already exists.
So you can create a share called HDHomeRunDVRa which points to /CACHEDEV3_DATA/HDHomeRunDVR
The important thing in the conf/UI is the folder name/location and not the share name

Rew452

Post by Rew452 »

Thanks Rik,
All seems to work now with using new name other than HDHomeRunDVR.

vandey

Post by vandey »

Just a quick question, can I upgrade firmware thru the IP on my HDHR without breaking the HDHomerun Record server on my QNAP NAS? Also does the DVR auto update the firmware when there's new versions available? Currently on version 1.0.5 on QTS 4.3.

My firmware on my HDHR is 20210210 and record engine is 20211210

flexo

Post by flexo »

dangit, I think the latest firmware killed the record engine. QNAP stops the service because of invalid digital signature.

FALSE ALARM... I did not know you can override the setting. all seems well now.

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

vandey wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:33 pm Just a quick question, can I upgrade firmware thru the IP on my HDHR without breaking the HDHomerun Record server on my QNAP NAS? Also does the DVR auto update the firmware when there's new versions available? Currently on version 1.0.5 on QTS 4.3.

My firmware on my HDHR is 20210210 and record engine is 20211210
DVR engine updates everytime you restart it on the NAS.. Open the App center and stop then start the engine and it will download the latest.. Or reboot the NAS.
I don't understand the first question - the tuner is updated independently - there is no impact to the server on the NAS. if that's what you mean
if you mean can you update from QTS4.3 without impacting - that depends. it should work, but QNAP is locking so much down these days, you may have to adjust things to open up more to be able to run the DVR.
flexo wrote: Tue Feb 08, 2022 5:03 pm dangit, I think the latest firmware killed the record engine. QNAP stops the service because of invalid digital signature.

FALSE ALARM... I did not know you can override the setting. all seems well now.
example of one of the many lock downs :)
Glad you got it working

likeaw

Post by likeaw »

I upgraded the QNAP software on my NAS and seems to be unstable now. Recordings stopped and record engine seemed like it was working in NAS. Noticed that if stopped and restarted engine the DVR manager would see record engine again. I seem to be stuck on version 1.0.4. From messages on the forum it should automatically update after stopping and starting. Any idea what might be going on? QNAP just updated their multimedia center so that could have been the crashing (freezing) issue, but would like to go to version 1.0.5. Do I need to do it manually?
Last edited by likeaw on Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

likeaw wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:13 pm I upgrade the QNAP software on my NAS and seems to be unstable now. Recordings stopped and record engine seemed like it was working in NAS. Noticed that if stopped and restarted engine the DVR manager would see record engine again. I seem to be stuck on version 1.0.4. From messages on the forum it should automatically update after stopping and starting. Any idea what might be going on? QNAP just updated their multimedia center so that could have been the crashing issue, but would like to go to version 1.0.5. Do I need to do it manually?
1.0.4 is the package version
this requires a download and install to update in the package center.
The automatic update you mention refers to the record engine itself which on start of the service on your QNAP will reach out to the silicondust download link and grab the latest version for you. hence to update you STOP the service and START it to get the latest.
You can see the version of the engine by opening the UI - either through the desktop icon, or via pointing your browser at <QNAP IP>/HDHomeRunDVR

likeaw

Post by likeaw »

demonrik wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:30 pm
likeaw wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 2:13 pm I upgrade the QNAP software on my NAS and seems to be unstable now. Recordings stopped and record engine seemed like it was working in NAS. Noticed that if stopped and restarted engine the DVR manager would see record engine again. I seem to be stuck on version 1.0.4. From messages on the forum it should automatically update after stopping and starting. Any idea what might be going on? QNAP just updated their multimedia center so that could have been the crashing issue, but would like to go to version 1.0.5. Do I need to do it manually?
The automatic update you mention refers to the record engine itself which on start of the service on your QNAP will reach out to the silicondust download link and grab the latest version for you. hence to update you STOP the service and START it to get the latest.
You can see the version of the engine by opening the UI - either through the desktop icon, or via pointing your browser at <QNAP IP>/HDHomeRunDVR
Thanks for setting me straight on that. I do not work with it enough to become very proficient.

psuKinger
Device ID: 13254099; 13219F42

Post by psuKinger »

Hello, apologies, as I think likeaw's problem is similar to my own, I'm just simply a bit slower to arrive at the conclusion that I think he already found...

I'm running DVR version 1.0.4. If I reboot my NAS, it comes back up as 1.0.4 (not sure if that's as intended or not). My NAS loses "sight" of my recordings, but if I manually stop and restart the app from the Control Panel --> App Center, my recordings return and my DVR package is running.
I downloaded 1.0.5 and 1.1.0 from Google Drive, and tried to do a manual install on either/both of those packages, and I got an error about how both were "unable to install."

Probably a very remedial question, but if anyone (Rik or other) would hold my hand one last time, I've really loved this QNAP server feature for several years now... and am unsure what I'm doing wrong to get it going again this time around.

demonrik

Post by demonrik »

psuKinger wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:05 pm
Hello, apologies, as I think likeaw's problem is similar to my own, I'm just simply a bit slower to arrive at the conclusion that I think he already found...

I'm running DVR version 1.0.4. If I reboot my NAS, it comes back up as 1.0.4 (not sure if that's as intended or not). My NAS loses "sight" of my recordings, but if I manually stop and restart the app from the Control Panel --> App Center, my recordings return and my DVR package is running.
I downloaded 1.0.5 and 1.1.0 from Google Drive, and tried to do a manual install on either/both of those packages, and I got an error about how both were "unable to install."

Probably a very remedial question, but if anyone (Rik or other) would hold my hand one last time, I've really loved this QNAP server feature for several years now... and am unsure what I'm doing wrong to get it going again this time around.
1.0.4 is the package version - it is not the record engine version. That is downloaded on start.
A message on unable to install is probably missing a setting in the app center to allow 3rd party or unsigned packages. You will need to enable that option.
QNAP is constantly trying to lock down things as much as possible due to all the malware attacks.

psuKinger
Device ID: 13254099; 13219F42

Post by psuKinger »

demonrik wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:17 pm
1.0.4 is the package version - it is not the record engine version. That is downloaded on start.
A message on unable to install is probably missing a setting in the app center to allow 3rd party or unsigned packages. You will need to enable that option.
QNAP is constantly trying to lock down things as much as possible due to all the malware attacks.
Just wanted to come back here one last time and say THANK YOU for everything you did with this project, and the help you gave to the user base. Your suggestion above got me back up and running. Appreciate it.