HDHomeRun Prime and Windows 7 Media Center Hints Tips Tricks

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
warpster

SD Monitor update

Post by warpster »

Update to Network Monitor, now at version 5.4. This is required for the 406 release on.

See the previous post here...
http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewt ... =60#p90155

Rojas

Re: HDHomeRun Prime and Windows 7 Media Center Hints Tips Tr

Post by Rojas »

Hope this helps anyone that has DRM issues with Windows Media. It resolved the issues I was having viewing HBO and Stars and all blocked content.

http://techblog.tv/your-computer-is-not ... run-prime/

chsbrgr

Post by chsbrgr »

Searched through all 6 pages and could not find mention of "firewall". I was pulling my hair out about this until i saw the logs on the HDHomerun Prime 3-tuner. It streams the video across the network on ports 5000-5003, and the logs said it successfully tuned the channel requested from Windows Media Center.

I Checked the firewall and temporarily allowed all inbound connections, and the signal came through! Set up a rule for allowing inbound 5000-5003 ports UDP, and that worked when I turned my firewall back on.

tl:dr: WMC not getting signal from working tuner? Control Panel-> Windows Firewall-> Right click Inbound, new rule, Port, UDP, ports 5000-5003, allow, Private only (don't want this active if you take your computer to a public network), give it a name and description.

BrianAZ

Post by BrianAZ »

RCShadow wrote: RoboCopy

RoboCopy, or "Robust File Copy", is a command-line directory replication command.

If you want to move your recorded TV programs to another system on your home network and are not concerned about converting formats or compression, RoboCopy is a great utility to accomplish the task. I have a couple Acer Aspire Revo's connected to TV's that record programs all day. I use the Task Scheduler on my media server to kick-off the RoboCopy job every 30 minutes to copy the .wtv files.
Thank you very much for this post. I currently run WMC on a W7 VM (on ESXi) using a NFS storage datastore on my NAS to record to. It works pretty well, however every so often now that I record to the NAS storage I see artifacts on the screen. If I go back and play the file again, they appear in exactly the same spot, so I know they happen during recording vs playback. When I was recording to a local datastore on the ESXi box, I never saw these artifacts. So I was thinking about changing back when I saw your post and thought it might be a nice compromise for my situation.

I am thinking of giving your solution a try, but I wanted to ask if all the recording management features of WMC continue to work with the .wtv files which have been moved to the network by RoboCopy. Meaning, if I tell WMC to record only 10 episodes of a show, will it add up both the episodes on the recording drive AND the network drive to see if it should record new episodes? Similarly, if I tell it to keep only the latest recordings, will it delete old ones from the network drive?

Hope my question makes sense, thanks for the help!

angelorestrepo1

Post by angelorestrepo1 »

When I try to do a soft reboot I get an invalid ID. I am using the ID that shows up when I use the IP address of the device which also matches the ID for the device on Config Setup software from HDhomerun, please help.

RCShadow

Post by RCShadow »

I know this is an older post (above) but please...if you need help with a specific issue, mentioned in this thread or others, you would be better served by searching for your specific issue and then posting a new topic if you do not find an answer relevant to your specific challenge.

Thank you!

RCShadow

Post by RCShadow »

BrianAZ wrote:
RCShadow wrote: RoboCopy

RoboCopy, or "Robust File Copy", is a command-line directory replication command.

If you want to move your recorded TV programs to another system on your home network and are not concerned about converting formats or compression, RoboCopy is a great utility to accomplish the task. I have a couple Acer Aspire Revo's connected to TV's that record programs all day. I use the Task Scheduler on my media server to kick-off the RoboCopy job every 30 minutes to copy the .wtv files.
Thank you very much for this post. I currently run WMC on a W7 VM (on ESXi) using a NFS storage datastore on my NAS to record to. It works pretty well, however every so often now that I record to the NAS storage I see artifacts on the screen. If I go back and play the file again, they appear in exactly the same spot, so I know they happen during recording vs playback. When I was recording to a local datastore on the ESXi box, I never saw these artifacts. So I was thinking about changing back when I saw your post and thought it might be a nice compromise for my situation.

I am thinking of giving your solution a try, but I wanted to ask if all the recording management features of WMC continue to work with the .wtv files which have been moved to the network by RoboCopy. Meaning, if I tell WMC to record only 10 episodes of a show, will it add up both the episodes on the recording drive AND the network drive to see if it should record new episodes? Similarly, if I tell it to keep only the latest recordings, will it delete old ones from the network drive?

Hope my question makes sense, thanks for the help!
I have never tested the functionality you mention. If I were take a guess, I would say no. I have not had the issue you mention so I cannot address it from experience. I apologies and hope you found an answer to your question.

dgiabmal

Post by dgiabmal »

Looking for some help with weak signal errors on Media Center. Occasionally when I'm watching a recorded show I'll get weak signal errors. However, when I pull up the HDHomerun Config app to look at my signal strength/quality for that channel everything looks fine (all in high 90s.) The recorded TV file seems to have issues at the same spot on rewind which suggests the issue is with the recording.

I've tried the registry edit that has been suggested, but it doesn't help. Anyone have other ideas what could cause or fix this?

RCShadow

Post by RCShadow »

dgiabmal wrote:Looking for some help with weak signal errors on Media Center. Occasionally when I'm watching a recorded show I'll get weak signal errors. However, when I pull up the HDHomerun Config app to look at my signal strength/quality for that channel everything looks fine (all in high 90s.) The recorded TV file seems to have issues at the same spot on rewind which suggests the issue is with the recording.

I've tried the registry edit that has been suggested, but it doesn't help. Anyone have other ideas what could cause or fix this?
Quoted from my FAQ at the top of the forum...

Weak Signal From Cable Company

I was getting a consistant weak signal from Time Warner Cable. My signals were in the 70% range, the highest in the low 80%'s. I was getting the "Weak Signal" (among other errors) in MC so I ended up purchasing an 8-port Channel Master in-line amplifier. This pushed all my signals to really good levels. My weakest station (frequency) is now in the low 90%'s with most channels pegged at 100%. I still get pop-ups of course, but not nearly as many and at acceptable levels.

Vendors for amplifiers include:

http://www.channelmasterstore.com/TV_Di ... s_s/40.htm
http://www.smarthome.com/7749/Cable-Sig ... ier/p.aspx
http://www.pacificcable.com/More_Pages/ ... ifier.html

NOTE:
Your signal quality reading in the HDHomeRun menus should be at 100% (or close to it). If it is not, the amplifier will just amplify a bad signal. If this is the case, a call to your cable company, or you yourself looking into cable run troubles, etc is in order. Amplifiers are great for those getting weak but good/great quality signals.

NYPlayer
Device ID: 104112F4,104162C4,10438DAD,10438DF5,10701381,13147C7B,131A192A

Re: SD Monitor update

Post by NYPlayer »

warpster wrote: Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:07 pm NEW VERSION available 5.8

It's been awhile and my old post has since dropped away....

There is a new version of Network Monitor available

It is available from here http://home.earthlink.net/~warpster/dat ... or_5_8.zip

Download it and unzip the three files, SD.exe, SDClass.dll and UserControl.dll to a folder on your drive. Run SD.exe. It will create a log directory under it's current location and save it's logs there. Any questions or issues let me know...

NOTE: If you notice any issues please PM me with details, thanks

version changelog
4.22 Added support for the HDTC-2US model
4.3 Added Transcode value for HDTC-2US and corrected channel display on 2 tuner devices
4.31 Fixed a couple channel issues and set the stream rate to update every second regardless of the refresh setting
5.0 Changed logging completely, now by default it logs just data, with optional verbose for all he rest. Update more fields every second including stream, freq, mod lock, strength, quality, and symbols. Now it will provide a good history of data.
5.1 Changed fixed location of SD files to finding them thru the registry
Fixed tuner 1 Transcode setting display (was looking at tuner 0)
Added raw data logging under install location DATA directory (DeviceData.csv)
5.2 Added Temperature and Fan voltage for the HDTC-2US
5.3 Added setting the path for log files to any connected device
Added saving of SD device log files to local log files (HTML or Text) while converting the time
contained in the log file to either a 12 or 24 hour format in Local Time and
automatic saving configurable from 5 minutes to once a day by 5 minute increments
Every save appends new entries to the existing log and device resets automatically save before the reset.
(only when network monitor is running)
5.3.1 Fixed automatic log saving (never fired)
5.3.2 Fixed bug in TXT logging
5.4 Fix for release hdhomerun_windows_20150406 on
5.5 Fix channel listings for non WMC applications (sub channel info was incorrect)
5.6 Bug fix for channel display on tuner 1, automatic update check added
5.7 Late bug fix introduced in 5.6
5.8 Device data logging file location fix (will move existing file to the correct location)
When creating the LOGS directory no longer making it hidden
Any chance of getting Quatro tuner support ?