HDHomeRun Prime and Windows 7 Media Center Hints Tips Tricks

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
rtbond

WMC Debug Mode

Post by rtbond »

Just a clarification to entering the Windows Media Center Debug mode.

To avoid WMC changing to channel "411" while trying to invoke the Debug Mode you must enter CTRL-D quickly after typing "411" (else WMC will try to tune to channel #411 rather than invoking the Debug Mode on the current channel).

az_r2d1

Post by az_r2d1 »

anyone know the command to check for drops in packet from the tuner to the media center ? I read it somewhere on the forums, just can't find it. Would be good to add it here too.
edit: found it, here is a copy;

Low level test for network packet loss - ATSC/QAM/DVB:

1) Run HDHomeRun Setup and go into the channel editor. Choose a physical channel number (for example CH102). This is the number before the - in the Tune column.

2) From a cmd prompt run:
"C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config" FFFFFFFF set /tuner0/channel auto:<channel number>
"C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config" FFFFFFFF save /tuner0 null

Replace "<channel number>" with the physical channel number from HDHomeRun Setup (e.g. 102).

If you have more than one HDHomeRun unit then replace "FFFFFFFF" with the device ID of the desired unit.

You should see a series of dots. "n" indicates network packet loss. "t" indicates a reception error. "s" is informational.

Low level test for network packet loss - PRIME:

1) From a cmd prompt run:
"C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config" FFFFFFFF set /tuner0/vchannel <channel number>
"C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config" FFFFFFFF save /tuner0 null

Replace "<channel number>" with the channel number for an unprotected channel in your area.

If you have more than one HDHomeRun unit then replace "FFFFFFFF" with the device ID of the desired unit.

You should see a series of dots. "n" indicates network packet loss. "t" indicates a reception error. "s" is informational.

Mediaman
Expert
Device ID: 131045A9, 131F4A88, 1080278D

Post by Mediaman »

Network packet tests are part of the FAQ - http://www.silicondust.com/forum/viewto ... highlight=

az_r2d1

Post by az_r2d1 »

Apparently you can also restart the cable card with this command.
"C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config.exe" <deviceid> set /sys/restart cablecard

rpoitras

Post by rpoitras »

I just found a utility, called HdmiYo, that claims to solve the HDMI handshake problems when resuming from sleep. It sits in the system tray and whenever the computer resumes from sleep it will turn the video off/on which I assume forces another handshake to occur.

I'm trying it out now before I purchase an HDMI Detective Plus, mentioned earlier, in the hopes to save $100. Ultimately I think the problem is that when my HTPC wakes up the other devices in the chain (receiver, projector) may not be fully on yet or something similar so the handshake fails.

You can find the utility here: https://skydrive.live.com/?cid=bd28802b ... 2B0C%21143

So far, with a couple of sleep/wake cycles it seems to have helped.

DrHow

HdmiYo solves another problem as well.

Post by DrHow »

I have a different problem with HDMI initialization. In fact, it always works correctly for me when the computer awakens. However, if I turn my TV off and back on or if I select a different input to the TV and then come back to the HDMI from the PC, then it very often fails to initialize and I get a blank screen. My previous workarounds:

1. Close WMC (using remote button). Reinitiate the connection attempt, which then always works. Restart WMC. Navigate back to where I was.

2. Using a hotkey I have defined, request to put the computer to sleep. The latter is actually better when a recording is in progress because the computer does not actually go to sleep; but it still refreshes the HDMI connection. Otherwise, I must then reawaken the computer.

Neither workaround is all that pleasant, though the second is not too bad when a recording is in progress. Now I have a hotkey for HdmiYo, which solution is much slicker. I had searched on this issue some time ago and found reference to HdmiYo; but all the links to the code I could find at the time were broken. Fortunately, the one rpoitras posted works. :D

It would be even nicer if there were something that would automatically detect that the TV was trying to reconnect and handle it properly without any interaction. It is clear that WMC interferes with the process when it is running (no doubt because of Playready DRM considerations), but it does not always do so correctly. Furthermore, there must also be some aspects of one's hardware configuration that bear on the issue, for otherwise more people would be complaining about this behavior which has plagued me.

RCShadow

I'm Back!

Post by RCShadow »

Been away for 6 or so months but now I am back! I edited broken links and cleaned up.

Note:
Tried Windows 8 :cry:
Nope!! Not me, not even going there. It's just an opinion.
Last edited by RCShadow on Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

denmonta

Ceton Companion App

Post by denmonta »

I know Ceton is the competition as far as tuners go.
I have 2 HDHR Prime and no Ceton tuner, but I really like their Ceton Companion App for IOS or Android.
You can control your Media Center from your iphone, ipad, ipod touch or android device.
You can easily set recordings, check the program guide, tune to any channel in the guide and many more.
It does work well with my Prime devices.
It is quite new so not everything is perfect, but they seem to be quite active at fixing problems.
It cost $5, but for me it is well worth it.

rpoitras

Post by rpoitras »

Not sure if its been posted before but there is a fix from Microsoft for the "Weak TV Signal" error displayed by WMC. It simply raises the threshold to detect a weak signal from 10% (default) to 50% by adding a registry key. The article can be found at the following link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2708283

texaspi

Post by texaspi »

az_r2d1 wrote:Apparently you can also restart the cable card with this command.
"C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config.exe" <deviceid> set /sys/restart cablecard
Interesting. Does the cable card not get rebooted with the soft reset mentioned earlier?

jim_a

Enable print screen Windows 7 Media Cen Center Hints Tips Tr

Post by jim_a »

By default print screen doesn’t work for W7 media center in full screen. I found this registry edit that enables print screen.

http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/4928/win ... reen-mode/

I tested it with a copy protected DVD playing in full screen and a copied protected TV record in full screen. Using Intel HD 3000 video at 1080P

I looked through this thread and didn’t see this tweak.

Karter

Re: HDHomeRun Prime and Windows 7 Media Center Hints Tips Tr

Post by Karter »

Don't know if this thread is still being responded to, but.....

I was wondering on this section
Weak Signal From Cable Company

I was getting a consistant weak signal from Time Warner Cable. My signals were in the 70% range, the highest in the low 80%'s. I was getting the "Weak Signal" (among other errors) in MC so I ended up purchasing an 8-port Channel Master in-line amplifier. This pushed all my signals to really good levels. My weakest station (frequency) is now in the low 90%'s with most channels pegged at 100%. I still get pop-ups of course, but not nearly as many and at acceptable levels.

Vendors for amplifiers include:

http://www.channelmasterstore.com/TV_Di ... s_s/40.htm
http://www.smarthome.com/7749/Cable-Sig ... ier/p.aspx
http://www.pacificcable.com/More_Pages/ ... ifier.html

NOTE:
Your signal quality reading in the HDHomeRun menus should be at 100% (or close to it). If it is not, the amplifier will just amplify a bad signal. If this is the case, a call to your cable company, or you yourself looking into cable run troubles, etc is in order. Amplifiers are great for those getting weak but good/great quality signals.
I look at those links and I am not certain which item(s) I am supposed to be acquiring
would I need just a single in-line amplifier, as my signal strength also is in the 70-80 range

RCShadow

Post by RCShadow »

Karter wrote:Don't know if this thread is still being responded to, but.....

I was wondering on this section
Weak Signal From Cable Company

I was getting a consistant weak signal from Time Warner Cable. My signals were in the 70% range, the highest in the low 80%'s. I was getting the "Weak Signal" (among other errors) in MC so I ended up purchasing an 8-port Channel Master in-line amplifier. This pushed all my signals to really good levels. My weakest station (frequency) is now in the low 90%'s with most channels pegged at 100%. I still get pop-ups of course, but not nearly as many and at acceptable levels.

Vendors for amplifiers include:

http://www.channelmasterstore.com/TV_Di ... s_s/40.htm
http://www.smarthome.com/7749/Cable-Sig ... ier/p.aspx
http://www.pacificcable.com/More_Pages/ ... ifier.html

NOTE:
Your signal quality reading in the HDHomeRun menus should be at 100% (or close to it). If it is not, the amplifier will just amplify a bad signal. If this is the case, a call to your cable company, or you yourself looking into cable run troubles, etc is in order. Amplifiers are great for those getting weak but good/great quality signals.
I look at those links and I am not certain which item(s) I am supposed to be acquiring
would I need just a single in-line amplifier, as my signal strength also is in the 70-80 range
I have been using this one for over two years now with great success...

http://www.channelmasterstore.com/Anten ... m-3418.htm

It was about $50 from Fry's Electronics at the time I aquired it.

Mediaman
Expert
Device ID: 131045A9, 131F4A88, 1080278D

Post by Mediaman »

@RCSHADOW nice reworking of the data, I am submitting my guide tool instructions. You may adjust it to better suit the already supplied info...

Guide to Guide Tool -

Guide tool is a very simple program that allows you to easily customize and consolidate guide listings [from multiple tuners] within WMC and [with a donation of $5] create a back up copy that can be used on other computers. You can download it for free at http://1geek1tool.com/guidetool

WMC should be open before you start Guide Tool. When you open guide tool you will be asked to name the file, default is localhost and works fine for a general save. Next you will see a two sectioned window. The window on the left will list all the tuners that the programs see’s as available and all the channels on each tuner that are seen [scroll left to right and top to bottom in that section]. You can make adjustments to the channel list in the left section by checking or un-checking [you can switch whole sections of items by highlighting and pressing the space bar]. The right section has the channel lineup. Above it on the task bar is an option called lineup click on the arrow on the right of an entry window and select the proper channel lineup for your area. This should display the complete list of channels for your SP, if your OTA there should be a terrestrial list option.

By clicking on the check mark button on the tool bar it will list all the channels in the left window that are enabled so it is best to make sure the channels you want are checked first and then click the check mark on the tool bar. Now you can uncheck those you do not want and click the check button again. If you have different types of tuners available you may find they give different channel numbers for the same channel.

To save the channel lineup and tuner order to WMC you need to enter the Merge function. Press Merge on the tool bar and you will open a window that lists the tuners. You can arrange the tuners in a preferred order for access here by highlighting a tuner and using the green arrow on the right to move a channel up or down the list. Now you are ready to merge the channels so the guide only has a single reference to a channel number, name or guide service or select none and just set a tuner order. You are now ready to save the list for future re-install by clicking on file and saving provided you add the option with a donation.

Other buttons are available to change names or numbers and other things. Two that can be dangerous are delete and split [they are also dangerous in WMC]. Deleting I feel is never a good idea as restoring can mean a reload of WMC, at the least a rescan of channels. Splitting can severe a tuner from a particular computer.

RCShadow

Post by RCShadow »

Mediaman,

Thank you for the input. Sorry for the delayed response, I can tell you took time to do that.

I started a new job and that is taking a lot of my time. I'll get it worked into the main post at some point.

Thank you again :D