HDHomeRun Prime and Windows 7 Media Center Hints Tips Tricks

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
themachine

Post by themachine »

For a little over $20, HiRO H50113 (external/USB) works too. Just make sure you download the newer drivers from the HiRO website.

A free solution is VistaCallerID works also (and in Win7 as well). Check out Hack7MC's guide for installing but disregard the VistaCallerID.com link (use the link above) since Kentdome is the new website.
Last edited by themachine on Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

themachine

Post by themachine »

ZacMan wrote:
themachine wrote:
RCShadow wrote:
I started to but cooled my jets when I saw that the guy has not made changes in a year or so. Further, the folks making posts to his site for help discouraged me further becasue of install issues. I will check it out again once I get a better idea on where this guy is at with his efforts and if he plans on continuing. Since it makes drastic changes to the look/feel of MC, for myself, I am going to wait.
FWIW...I'd guess that he hasn't made changes to it because it just works. Granted, he said he originally planned on Valve being an all-in-one solution for many of his other tools. If it aint broken don't fix it - for the purpose titled on the Missingremote blog post at least. Michael Welter (aka Mikinho) is well known in the WMC enthusiast community. One of his original, and most popular, tools was Yammm. I think lately he's been working with Ceton on Q.
Actually for me it doesn't work. I've run it as Admin and it won't let me change the startup of MC for the HTPC or any of my Extenders.
Are you sure you:
-downloaded the valve-setup-111032-0002.zip (404.44KB) attachment which has the installer as well as the executable file HideMenuStrips.exe (the file ran as 'Administrator' for changing settings? Just the executable by itself won't work as the installer is required for installing the MCE plug-in
-run either the install-valve.cmd file (automatically detects/runs 32/64-bit installer) or either the '32' file for 32-bit Win7 or '64' file for 64-bit Win7
-Choose a user or extender (mcx1, mcx2, etc.) from the 'Select User' drop-down
-Choose 'Live TV' or other starting point from the 'Startup' drop-down
-Click 'Save' to confirm settings then 'Exit'
-Restart MCE or the PC entirely for changes to take effect.
-cycle the power on any Xbox 360 extenders

Edit: Note the following per the developer...
...To install:

1. Download valve-setup-2.0.zip from the attachment below, you will need to be logged in to view it.
..."It" being the download link for the FULL installer.
Last edited by themachine on Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

ckendalls

Post by ckendalls »

themachine wrote:For a little over $20, HiRO H50113 (external/USB) works too. Just make sure you download the newer drivers from the HiRO website.

A free solution is VistaCallerID works also (and in Win7 as well). Check out Hack7MC's guide for installing but disregard the VistaCallerID.com link (use the link above) since Kentdome is the new website.
I really tried to make VistaCallerID and their MCE addin work first and it didn't work on my X64 machine. The server notifies in Windows but not in WMC even though the addin gets installed. I even tried some suggested registry tweaks etc. recommended on TheGreenButton and Windows Expert Community. None of the options, VistaCallerID, TapiRex or YAK worked in WMC in my X64 system although they had been reported to work for X64 at one time. One use told me he had it working for a couple years and then it stopped working probably due to some windows update along the way. TapiRex support told me that it no longer worked in X64 on WMC and that they needed some Skype code before it would work again.

themachine

Post by themachine »

Possible, MS does have a habit of breaking 3rd party tools with their updates forcing the dev community to constantly revist how to offer the same functionality. Worked smoothly on x64 with 7MC no problem. Too long ago to remember if I had to do anything special to get it going. I used it for about a year but decided to stop when the novelty/gimmick of it wore off and it became annoying even with transparency increased. Real problem is, any of these tools have pop-ups that you either have to wait several seconds for it to disapper or manually press Select on the remote. Just think badly timed calls while watching sports that take long enough to watch without additional rewinds.

I went with a new expandable phone system with talking caller ID and bluetooth (for our cell phones) so for me hearing who is calling, phone or cell, is a better solution. Not to mention my TVs, AV Receivers, HTPCs, XB360s don't have to be constantly in powered-on states. I'd guess many, as was the case for me, switching to TV on 7MC w/Cablecard are looking to fill the gap of the similar feature offered by cable cos. STBs. Shame Cablecard wasn't given the capability to receive the CID data and then native display of it in 7MC. For anyone interested, my phone sys is a Panasonic KX-TG7645M. If I ever decide to tackle speakerphone capability through my HTPCs/XB360s I might revisit having CID on them...but it would have to be with the feature set and convenience Kinect might offer.

RCShadow

Post by RCShadow »

YEA!!! Stickied!!! :D :D :D

Thank you mod(s)! 8)

ckendalls

Post by ckendalls »

mikeisfly wrote:In Regards to W7CallerID I want people to know if you have phone service through the Cable Company or even Vonage or Magic Jack for that matter this product will work for you Provided that you have caller ID. Remember that these services offer POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) lines to the customer. I have installed the product on my server and all my Media Center PC and the product works great, I just wish the developer didn't have the 3 PC limit I'm not sure why he set such an artificial limit, I would pay double to get another 3 PCs.!

Did you actually try more than three? I thought I read a post on the GreenButton that it worked with more even though their may be a theoretical W7 limit?

ckendalls

Post by ckendalls »

themachine wrote: Real problem is, any of these tools have pop-ups that you either have to wait several seconds for it to disapper or manually press Select on the remote. Just think badly timed calls while watching sports that take long enough to watch without additional rewinds.

I went with a new expandable phone system with talking caller ID and bluetooth (for our cell phones) so for me hearing who is calling, phone or cell, is a better solution. Not to mention my TVs, AV Receivers, HTPCs, XB360s don't have to be constantly in powered-on states. I'd guess many, as was the case for me, switching to TV on 7MC w/Cablecard are looking to fill the gap of the similar feature offered by cable cos. STBs. Shame Cablecard wasn't given the capability to receive the CID data and then native display of it in 7MC..
Definintely YMMV. But there is a speak audio notifier option on W7callerID which I havent tried. Personally I prefer the little poppup with pic.

themachine

Post by themachine »

ckendalls wrote:Definintely YMMV. But there is a speak audio notifier option on W7callerID which I havent tried. Personally I prefer the little poppup with pic.
I prefer my current solution that doesn't require me to leave all of my equipment on all of the time throughout the house. Not for a matter of cost but for being realistic.

foxbat121
Device ID: 10A57CFF

Post by foxbat121 »

themachine wrote:
ZacMan wrote:
themachine wrote:
FWIW...I'd guess that he hasn't made changes to it because it just works. Granted, he said he originally planned on Valve being an all-in-one solution for many of his other tools. If it aint broken don't fix it - for the purpose titled on the Missingremote blog post at least. Michael Welter (aka Mikinho) is well known in the WMC enthusiast community. One of his original, and most popular, tools was Yammm. I think lately he's been working with Ceton on Q.
Actually for me it doesn't work. I've run it as Admin and it won't let me change the startup of MC for the HTPC or any of my Extenders.
Are you sure you:
-downloaded the valve-setup-111032-0002.zip (404.44KB) attachment which has the installer as well as the executable file HideMenuStrips.exe (the file ran as 'Administrator' for changing settings? Just the executable by itself won't work as the installer is required for installing the MCE plug-in
-run either the install-valve.cmd file (automatically detects/runs 32/64-bit installer) or either the '32' file for 32-bit Win7 or '64' file for 64-bit Win7
I can confirm this does work. The trick is that after change the startup settings and rebooted the PC, you have to start WMC on extenders, exit, open extender again. It seems the very first time you launch extender after the settings change, it won't take effect until you restart the extender.

bluskye

Post by bluskye »

Thanks for robocopy tips. I will implement.

RCShadow

Post by RCShadow »

bluskye wrote:Thanks for robocopy tips. I will implement.
Anytime bluskye. Holler if you hit a snag.

ZacMan
Device ID: 13106388, 13111AC9, 1060B7DD

Post by ZacMan »

themachine wrote:
ZacMan wrote:
themachine wrote:
Are you sure you:
Well no I didn't, but now I've done all of that and it works. Thanks! :D

The key was registering on the site because if you're not registered you don't have access to the attachment to download the zip file. :o

themachine

Post by themachine »

ZacMan wrote:Well no I didn't, but now I've done all of that and it works. Thanks! :D

The key was registering on the site because if you're not registered you don't have access to the attachment to download the zip file. :o
No prob, sorry I should have mentioned originally, will note in my orignal posts for anyone else seeing.

JimEckels

Remote Recording & Live TV Buffer

Post by JimEckels »

I've recent built my HTPC, and compiled a list of stuff that I had to do to get it working as I wanted. Using the HD Homerun Prime and Windows 7.

Below is a registry file I put together to override the pieces I was wanting to do

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

;
; The pause buffer
; from this article
; http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/12256/in ... ia-center/
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Service\Video\Tuners\DVR]
"BackingStoreEachFileDurationSeconds"=dword:0000012c

; To record to a non-local drive
;
; To overcome deleting files (5497558138880 = 5TB)...
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Service\Recording]
"RecordPath"="\\\\server\\Recorded_TV"
"Quota"=hex(b):00,00,00,00,00,05,00,00
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Settings\VideoSettings]
"DiskLimit"="5497558138880"

; To record the pause buffer to network drive
; http://exdeus.home.comcast.net/~exdeu/W ... agePooler/
; And also to install WMCRecordingStoragePooler_Setup_1.1.0
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Service\Video\Tuners\DVR\IO\Writer]
"DVRDirectory"="\\\\server\\recorded_tv\\_LiveTVRecording"

I used to have a task to copy the recordings off, but I figured, why not just record them directly there *shrug.

RemotePotato installed on the server, so I can access DVR/Schedule stuff on my smartphone.

I've now been running this for about 3 months, without issue.

Hopefully the above helps others. Feel free to shoot me an email or message if the above isn't clear.

Columbus Prime

XP and Prime Tip

Post by Columbus Prime »

I've found that Windows Media Center in Win7 is not absolutely required to use Prime. You can stream and record ts files to an XP machine just as well. Once there, I can use the DLNA server protocol and a little media server called Mezzmo to stream back to my Sharp Aquos TV with exceptional quality.

With several old XP boxes laying around with ample disk space, I thought I'd put them to work. As long as what you are copying is "copy freely" i.e. major network Over-The-Air stuff, you can stream a .ts file to an XP machine no problem.

I built a simple batch file which supports a command line call like:

`HDHRPrime Record 0 ABC 3700`
(Records ABC from tuner 0 for 3700 seconds).

It requires VLC media player installed.

Then I just set up a few scheduled tasks and voila, I have .ts files appearing weekly. This takes barely any CPU at all, so even slow computers can probably handle this with ease.

I use two batch files. The first one has all the guts, then the second is just a call-back routine for tuner shutdown after the recording is complete. I call my files Prime.bat and TuneOff.bat, respectively. Prime gets called from windows scheduler with the command line parameters as shown above and that's it.

You would have to customize this file for your region's stations. Obviously there are much better front ends to this but I was intrigued by the notion of a relatively simple batch file and a command line call with this running quietly behind the scenes.

Unfortunately if you copy the code below it leaves blank space @ end of each line which you'll have to remove to get it to work.

Prime.bat

Code: Select all

REM take parameters : 1) Method (Watch or Record); 2) Tuner Number 3) Affiliate to watch, NBC, etc. 4) Record Time in Seconds;  
REM Example : Prime Watch NBC 
REM Example2: Prime Record 0 CBS 1800  ( records CBS for 1/2 hour from tuner 0 ) 
REM 
REM Set your environment variables up as follows (use quotes if you have spaces in the path) 
REM    VLC    := "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" 
REM    HDHC    := "C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\hdhomerun_config.exe" 
REM 
REM Below, also set your IP address and add your tuner specifics for your region 
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::: 
Set MyIP=192.168.1.152

Set Method=%1
Set tunerNum=%2
Set Affiliate=%3
Set RecTime=%4
Set /A PortNum=5000+%tunerNum%
Rem need to parse a date stamp for the filename 
If NOT DEFINED Method Set Method=Watch
If NOT DEFINED tunerNum Set tunerNum=0
If NOT DEFINED Affiliate Set Affiliate=NBC
If NOT DEFINED RecTime Set RecTime=120

FOR /F "TOKENS=1-4* DELIMS=/" %%A IN ('DATE/T') DO ( 
   SET Year=%%C
   SET Month=%%A
   SET Day=%%B
) 
:: ignore day of week (i.e. remove FRI from the date) 
FOR %%A IN (%Year%)  DO SET Year=%%A
FOR %%A IN (%Month%) DO SET Month=%%A
FOR %%A IN (%Day%)   DO SET Day=%%A
FOR %%A IN (%Time%)   DO SET TheTime=%%A

Set RecStart=%Affiliate%_%tunerNum%_%Year%%Month%%Day%_%TheTime%
Goto %Method%

:Record
rem open VLC and start minimized; record to ts 
start "vlcrecord" %vlc% udp://@:%PortNum% --deinterlace=-1 --qt-start-minimized --packetizer-mpegvideo-sync-iframe --file-caching=2000 --udp-caching=2000 --high-priority --sout file/ts:C:\Media\TV\%RecStart%.ts --run-time=%RecTime% vlc://quit
Goto Tune

:Watch
start "vlcwatchwindow" %vlc% udp://@:%PortNum%  --width=800 --height=450
Goto Tune

:Tune
rem say hello to tuner and reset station 
%hdhc% discover
Goto %Affiliate%

:ABC
%hdhc% FFFFFFFF set /tuner%tunerNum%/channel qam256:78
rem ABC6 WSYX shown below (program 1)
%hdhc% FFFFFFFF set /tuner%tunerNum%/program 1
Goto Broadcast

:FOX
%hdhc% FFFFFFFF set /tuner%tunerNum%/channel qam256:78
rem FOX28 wtte shown below (program 3)
%hdhc% FFFFFFFF set /tuner%tunerNum%/program 3
Goto Broadcast

:CBS
%hdhc% FFFFFFFF set /tuner%tunerNum%/channel qam256:98
rem channel 10 WBNS
Goto Broadcast

:WOSU
rem channel 34.1 WOSU HD
%hdhc% FFFFFFFF set /tuner%tunerNum%/program 2
Goto Broadcast

:WOSU2
rem channel 34.2 WOSU
Goto Broadcast

:WOSU3
rem channel 34.3 WOSU
%hdhc% FFFFFFFF set /tuner%tunerNum%/program 4
Goto Broadcast

:CBS2
rem channel 10.2 WBNS
%hdhc% FFFFFFFF set /tuner%tunerNum%/program 5
Goto Broadcast

:NBC
%hdhc% FFFFFFFF set /tuner%tunerNum%/channel qam256:99
rem channel 4.1 WCMH
Goto Broadcast

:NBC2
rem channel 4.2 METV
%hdhc% FFFFFFFF set /tuner%tunerNum%/program 2
Goto Broadcast

:UPN
rem channel 53.1 WWHO
Goto Broadcast

:Broadcast
%hdhc% FFFFFFFF set /tuner%tunerNum%/target udp://%MyIP%:%PortNum%

::============================================
::The following method is for callback of tuner 
::shutdown After recording is complete.
SET /A RecTimeMin = %RecTime% / 60
::GET THE CURRENT HOUR AND MINUTE + XX MINUTES
SET CURRENTTIME=%TIME%

::pad the timer by rounding up
SET /A TimerMinutes=%RecTimeMin% + 1

for /F "tokens=1 delims=:" %%h in ('echo %CURRENTTIME%') do (SET /A HR=%%h)
for /F "tokens=2 delims=:" %%m in ('echo %CURRENTTIME%') do (SET MIN=%%m)

Set CheckMin=%MIN:~0,1%

::Can't do math with 0X notation, must strip any leading 0
If %CheckMin% LEQ 0 (
   Set MIN = %MIN:~1,1%
   )

Set /A MINPLUS=%MIN% + %TimerMinutes%

::initialize the HRs and MINs to add
SET HRADD=0
SET MINADD=0

::===========================================================================
::If clock + Timer Record Time goes into the next hour
IF %MINPLUS% GEQ 60 (
    ::Translate extra minutes into clock time
	SET /A HRADD=%MINPLUS% / 60
	SET /A MINADD=%MINPLUS% %% 60
	)

::Separate loop required to use the prior result correctly
IF %MINPLUS% GEQ 60 (
	SET /A MIN=%MINADD%
	)

::Else the Timer Minutes fits within the current hour; HR = HR, MIN = MIN + MINADD (which is timer minutes)	
IF %MINPLUS% LSS 60 (
    ::Translate extra minutes into clock time
	::  HRADD still=0
	SET /A MIN=MIN +%TimerMinutes%
	)

SET /A HR=HR + %HRADD%

::IF THE HOUR IS >= 24, Roll it back over to 0
IF %HR% GEQ 24 SET /A HR=0+%HR%-24