HDHomeRun Prime and Windows 7 Media Center Hints Tips Tricks

Help and support with third-party TV software.
Windows Media Center, J River Media Center, Next PVR, MythTV, InstaTV, etc.
ckendalls

Re: HDHomeRun Prime and Windows Media Center Hints, Tips, Tr

Post by ckendalls »

[quote="RCShadow"]You need a modem installed and connected to your phone line for this! (W7CallerID)quote]

There are some very cheap modem card or USB Data/Fax modem options (8-20 bucks Newegg). Both Agere and Conexant seem to work.

RCShadow

Post by RCShadow »

ckendalls wrote:
RCShadow wrote:You need a modem installed and connected to your phone line for this!
There are some very cheap modem card or USB Data/Fax modem options (8-20 bucks Newegg). Both Agere and Conexant seem to work.
I got a Fry's by me really close and they have some cheap-o's that would work well for $6.99.

I may install the trial and use WireShark to see what is going on behind the scenes while in a "sandbox" situation. Hmmm...maybe in a week or two. I get very cautious when something has my phone line and internet connection too lol. Call me paranoid :shock:

Mediaman
Expert
Device ID: 131045A9, 131F4A88, 1080278D

Post by Mediaman »

ckendalls wrote:
RCShadow wrote:You need a modem installed and connected to your phone line for this! (W7CallerID)quote]

I probably should be asking the designers of the program but I am lazy so I will ask you and see if you know.

In looking at their web page diagrams they show two modems, I presume one is internet and one is for the phone. My comcast service has a single modem that outputs internet and phone (separately) do you think that would meet the first criteria of the two modems? The two diagrams show a server based vs a single computer should I treat two computers like the server configuration or should each computer have its own RJ11 feed?

RCShadow

Post by RCShadow »

Mediaman wrote:
ckendalls wrote:
RCShadow wrote:You need a modem installed and connected to your phone line for this! (W7CallerID)quote]

I probably should be asking the designers of the program but I am lazy so I will ask you and see if you know.

In looking at their web page diagrams they show two modems, I presume one is internet and one is for the phone. My comcast service has a single modem that outputs internet and phone (separately) do you think that would meet the first criteria of the two modems? The two diagrams show a server based vs a single computer should I treat two computers like the server configuration or should each computer have its own RJ11 feed?
ckendalls can probably answer those questions since he has actually used the product. I certainly haven't used the product as of yet. It would be a nice addition though. Let me know what anyone finds out that decides to try it.

ckendalls

Post by ckendalls »

I'm not sure but I think you may need the analog caller ID supporting data fax dial up modem in line connected to a phone jack unless the comcast callerid code is available and he has built this in. The developer is very responsive from his web site. I'd definitely ask. If you do need a cheap modem and don't have a phone line close wireless "adapters" do exist but may cost more than the modem. I had to use one in our last house for cable box caller ID.

shortcut3d

Post by shortcut3d »

If you have a Windows Media Center remote you can skip forward or backward a user specified time period by pressing the amount (ie - 300 for 3 minutes) and the fast forward or rewind button respectively.

themachine

Post by themachine »

Mediaman wrote:In looking at their web page diagrams they show two modems, I presume one is internet and one is for the phone. My comcast service has a single modem that outputs internet and phone (separately) do you think that would meet the first criteria of the two modems? The two diagrams show a server based vs a single computer should I treat two computers like the server configuration or should each computer have its own RJ11 feed?
What you're looking at there in both configuration examples are ones where the hypothetical user has two separate phone lines that would provide caller ID to be displayed on any of the devices shown. Where they differ is one (left) uses a server (basically not one of the places CID would be desired to display) as the input point of the phone line(s) via data/fax modem; the other (right) differs in that the input point is also a place where CID will want to be displayed. But both are sending the CID info to display to other devices (Win7 PC, Xbox 360) for desktop and/or in WMC. I imagine the purpose of showing 2 modems in each example is to stress CID info can be displayed for multiple phone lines. But some might understand the differences if you take 1 of the modems out of the picture. All you need is your phone line (ie. VOIP cable modem or analog from phone co.) connected to a modem that supports Caller ID connected (USB or PCIe) to a Win7 PC. You only need to connect your phone line to 1 PC.

themachine

Post by themachine »

RCShadow wrote:I got to check that one out! Thank you!
Did you have a chance to set it up yet? Definitely smooths the TV experience.

RCShadow

Post by RCShadow »

themachine wrote:
I started to but cooled my jets when I saw that the guy has not made changes in a year or so. Further, the folks making posts to his site for help discouraged me further becasue of install issues. I will check it out again once I get a better idea on where this guy is at with his efforts and if he plans on continuing. Since it makes drastic changes to the look/feel of MC, for myself, I am going to wait.
Last edited by RCShadow on Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

themachine

Post by themachine »

RCShadow wrote:
themachine wrote:
I started to but cooled my jets when I saw that the guy has not made changes in a year or so. Further, the folks making posts to his site for help discouraged me further becasue of install issues. I will check it out again once I get a better idea on where this guy is at with his efforts and if he plans on continuing. Since it makes drastic changes to the look/feel of MC, for myself, I am going to wait.
FWIW...I'd guess that he hasn't made changes to it because it just works. Granted, he said he originally planned on Valve being an all-in-one solution for many of his other tools. If it aint broken don't fix it - for the purpose titled on the Missingremote blog post at least. Michael Welter (aka Mikinho) is well known in the WMC enthusiast community. One of his original, and most popular, tools was Yammm. I think lately he's been working with Ceton on Q.

ZacMan
Device ID: 13106388, 13111AC9, 1060B7DD

Post by ZacMan »

themachine wrote:
RCShadow wrote:
themachine wrote: Did you have a chance to set it up yet? Definitely smooths the TV experience.
FWIW...I'd guess that he hasn't made changes to it because it just works. Granted, he said he originally planned on Valve being an all-in-one solution for many of his other tools. If it aint broken don't fix it - for the purpose titled on the Missingremote blog post at least. Michael Welter (aka Mikinho) is well known in the WMC enthusiast community. One of his original, and most popular, tools was Yammm. I think lately he's been working with Ceton on Q.
Actually for me it doesn't work. I've run it as Admin and it won't let me change the startup of MC for the HTPC or any of my Extenders.

rjmcinnis

Question about MyChannelLogos and xBox360

Post by rjmcinnis »

Google is not being my friend...

If I install MyChannelLogos on my HTPC, do they show up in the guide on xBox 360 extenders?

Thanks in advance!

shortcut3d

Re: Question about MyChannelLogos and xBox360

Post by shortcut3d »

rjmcinnis wrote:Google is not being my friend...

If I install MyChannelLogos on my HTPC, do they show up in the guide on xBox 360 extenders?

Thanks in advance!
Yes, the logos will show up on Xbox 360 extenders.

rjmcinnis

Re: Question about MyChannelLogos and xBox360

Post by rjmcinnis »

shortcut3d wrote:
rjmcinnis wrote:Google is not being my friend...

Thanks in advance!
Yes, the logos will show up on Xbox 360 extenders.
Awesome, thanks for the lightning fast reply!!!

mikeisfly
Expert

Post by mikeisfly »

In Regards to W7CallerID I want people to know if you have phone service through the Cable Company or even Vonage or Magic Jack for that matter this product will work for you Provided that you have caller ID. Remember that these services offer POTS (Plain Old Telephone Service) lines to the customer. I have installed the product on my server and all my Media Center PC and the product works great, I just wish the developer didn't have the 3 PC limit I'm not sure why he set such an artificial limit, I would pay double to get another 3 PCs. By the way I have a Zoom USB 56K Dial up USB modem (Model 3095) and it works great for me. The only problem that I have is that I paid way too much money for this modem but I didn’t want to wait. I got it from Best Buy for $53 after taxes. What a rip off!