SiliconDust LTE Filter Signal Loss

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
KeithAbbott

SiliconDust LTE Filter Signal Loss

Post by KeithAbbott »

I've looked everywhere I can think of, but have been unable to find out what the signal loss (if any) is on the SiliconDust LPF-608M LTE Filter. I have been trying to optimize my antenna reception, and recently added the LTE filter (just in front of the amplifier) to my setup. I'm not sure if it is doing anything, since my Televes 149483 antenna is already supposed to have an LTE filter built into it. I have noticed some minor signal degradation with my Fox channels (high VHF), which are fussy from a signal strength perspective to begin with, so I'm not sure if the LPF-608M is to blame or if it's a coincidence.

Anyone know what the signal loss is for the LPF-608M LTE filter?

nickk
Silicondust

Re: SiliconDust LTE Filter Signal Loss

Post by nickk »

The pass-band loss is minimal.

If the antenna already has a 608MHz pass 618MHz reject filter then you should be good.

If you want additional filtering...
Normally you want the filter before the amplifier like you have it but given that the antenna already has a filter you could move the Silicondust LPF-608M to be after the amplifier.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl »

Televes is a European company primarily designing antennas for use in Europe, and Europe is way behind the US in reallocating spectrum to cellular service. The older models with LTE filters blocks above 790MHz, most of which was reallocated away from TV in the US in 1983. The newer ones block above 700MHz, which was reallocated as part of the US analog shutoff in 2009, but just in the last couple years in Europe. The US has since reallocated above 600MHz, most of which now belongs to T-Mobile and is used for their 5G service. Europe still uses this spectrum heavily for TV, so any European filters won't block it.

KeithAbbott

Post by KeithAbbott »

Thanks for all of the information, it sounds like I should continue to use the SiliconDust LTE filter so long as it doesn't negatively impact any of my channels.

However; looking at my OTA channels, there is only one channel above channel 32/581MHz that I need, which is channel 34/593MHz. With that in mind, do I really even need LTE filtering at all?

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

LTE interference can knock out any TV channel regardless of the frequency the TV is on...

LTE may be strong enough to saturate an amplifier, or cause an auto-gain amplifier to back off to the point any TV channel has problems.