Second HDHome Run is DEAD!

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
jeffmurray15

Second HDHome Run is DEAD!

Post by jeffmurray15 »

First it was my duo. That died and there was no warranty even though it was two years old. So I bit the bullet and upgraded to the flex 4k and now I have a blinking red light on the unit. Network is good because it can find the WD Mycloud DVR but no HDHomeRun. I purchased the 4k in July of 2021 and the duo in 1999. No lightning storms. I just got up to watch the news last week and it was dead. Was expecting it to last a little longer than a couple of years. I'm sure I'll get the "it's out of warranty" song and dance but two failed units in five years? It was taking at least 10-20 seconds to boot just before it failed so I'm assuming it was on its way out.

Come on silicondust, throw me a bone here!

I've opened a ticket and hoping they will do something since it's my second failure.

Anyone else experiencing failures like this?

Cabal

Re: Second HDHome Run is DEAD!

Post by Cabal »

Do you have another power supply of comparable voltage, amperage, and barrel connector you can try? My units have always lasted so long I end up giving them away to friends. I've heard the power supply is the first thing to go, though.

jeffmurray15

Post by jeffmurray15 »

No the power supply is good. Network connection is good. HDHomeRun box is blinking red at the ethernet connector. It's DOA.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

We designed the HDHomeRun PRIME and newer boxes specifically avoiding any/all components that have a limited lifespan to ensure a long lasting high quality product. We back all our HDHomeRun models with a 2-year warranty. We still have users using our original model from 2006/2007 and will still maintain the firmware for our oldest models.

The flashing red LED means the CPU is working but it is not detecting Ethernet link. Is the HDHomeRun plugged directly into a network switch using a patch cable? Can you try another cable and another switch port?

jeffmurray15

Post by jeffmurray15 »

Yes I am an electrical engineer and that was the first thing I did. Same results. Very frustrating now that this is my second one that is DOA and slightly out of the warranty window just like my other one.

I’ve been a customer and DVR subscriber. But if this is my second one in five years to die I’m not buying another one. My last one was out of warranty and now you’re telling me this one is as well.

As you stated they should live longer than this and why I’m asking you to stand behind your product and replace this defective unit.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

We're going to make this right for you.

What happened with the first one? Same behavior with the blinking red light?

jeffmurray15

Post by jeffmurray15 »

Regarding my duo, it just completely died. I checked the power supply with a multimeter and it was good. With the 4k unit I have done the following:

1. Changed network cables.
2. Unplugged for a day and plugged back in.
3. Changed switch ports to a known good port with two different known good cables (I used my DVR port since the app on my fire stick is finding my WD My Cloud)
4. Checked power supply voltage.

Still Red.

It should be noted that all of my devices on my network are operating properly. It's almost like there was an update to the HDHR and it was bricked.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

I'll send you RMA instructions via your support ticket, and we'll flag the bad unit for review.

jeffmurray15

Post by jeffmurray15 »

I sent an email yesterday and I am following up with this post. I received the factory renewed tuner yesterday and connected it however all my next gen stations freeze within a few seconds. The regular stations work fine. Happens with both my fire tv and iPhone so there must be an issue with the tuner. Network is unchanged and I have no problem streaming all other media to my devices. I even uninstalled and reinstalled my hd homerun apps but no difference. Firmware on the HD home run was updated too.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Do you get audio playing ok for those few seconds?

Can you please enable "send diagnostic information" in the HDHomeRun app settings menu, try playing a next gen channel, then post back with the Device ID.

Nick

jeffmurray15

Post by jeffmurray15 »

Device ID is 10A212CC
Diagnostic is on
Also paid for DVR service and it shows inactive

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

I am seeing diagnostics enabled on the HDHomeRun unit but not in the app - can you please enable "Send diagnostic information" in the Settings menu of the HDHomeRun app.

DVR account association fixed.

jeffmurray15

Post by jeffmurray15 »

Both diagnostics are on.

Cannot connect to my DVR now. Do I have to reconfigure the WD my cloud?

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Getting log data now - thanks. Can you please watch a next-gen tv channel...

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

jeffmurray15 wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:59 pm Cannot connect to my DVR now. Do I have to reconfigure the WD my cloud?
There is no DVR engine running on your network. Please check the WD...