HD Homerun App V89.0 not working with Roku Player - meegs

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
meegs

HD Homerun App V89.0 not working with Roku Player - meegs

Post by meegs »

When I launch the HDHR app on my Roku, I get a message saying that I need to update the DVR software and then the app closes. I never get into the app and can't watch TV. Is this related to these recent release issues?

Hardware Model HDHR5-4US
Firmware Version 20231214
Device ID 10780ED1

Roku Express 4K Pro

nickk
Silicondust

Re: HD Homerun App V89.0 not working with Roku Player - meegs

Post by nickk »

The error message is correct - you have a old DVR record engine installed on your Mac that hasn't been updated for 5 years.

Option 1 is to install the latest HDHomeRun software on your Mac including the DVR feature.

Option 2 is to uninstall the DVR record engine from your Mac if you are not using it:
https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/dvr:mac ... installing

Also the clock on your Mac is off by 1m56s. It won't affect recording but it might affect other apps.

meegs

Post by meegs »

Thanks for the reply. What I don’t understand is why the version of software on my Mac is impacting my ability to use the HDHR app on my Roku?

I’ve updated (downloaded the latest) HDHR on my Mac, but I still have the same error on the Roku.

The HDHR app works fine on my iPhone and on my Nividia Shield devices, but just not on the Roku.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

The DVR record engine running on your Mac is too old for the Roku app to be able to use it. In theory we could make the app ignore the out-of-date record engine but that would confuse people who expect to see their recordings on Roku.

Quick test - turn off your Mac and then launch the Roku app - make sure it works with the Mac off.

My guess is that you updated the HDHomeRun (player) app on Mac but not the record engine.

To update the record engine you need to use the installer from our Download page (not from the app store) AND you need to tick the option for installing the record engine (not ticked by default).

It looks like you are not using the record engine so probably best to uninstall it:
https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/dvr:mac ... installing

meegs

Post by meegs »

Thanks for your help. I did the test with my Mac turned off and you were right, the Roku worked fine. I then updated the software on the Mac via the HDHR website and checked the box to upgrade the recording software and then after tried the Roku again with the Mac on and it works fine now. Appreciate all the help. I had no idea that the software on my Mac could impact my other devices. Cheers!!

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Great is is working!

I have filed a feature request to have the Roku app continue and work without the record engine after displaying the version error message.