Google TV app shows wrong channel when tuned

Guide Issues
dheianevans

Google TV app shows wrong channel when tuned

Post by dheianevans »

I have a weird situation happening with HDHomerun's Google TV app.

Buffalo channels. ATSC 1.0 HDHomerun Extend. I tune to virtual 4.1 (CBS UHF 36)

The info at the bottom of the screen shows "CBS The Late Show with Stephen Colbert" but the program showing is from virtual channel 29.3, Charge networ on UHF 32.

Ive rescanned. Same thing. Cleared the app's cache. Same thing. Meanwhile, MythTV has no problem recording the correct channel when I use it.

Any ideas?

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Google TV app shows wrong channel when tuned

Post by NedS »

Can you tell us the "Device ID" for your HDHomeRun unit?

dheianevans

Post by dheianevans »

1054406B

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl »

You have an old HDHomeRun Dual on your network that hasn't been rescanned since sometime before the repack, and it still has old channel locations. Go into the HDHomeRun Setup program, click on the Digital Antenna tab, select the Dual, and run a channel scan to update the stored lineup data.

dheianevans

Post by dheianevans »

That did it. Thanks. Btw, I'm assuming you can't edit that channel list on the Dual because of its age? Not a big issue, but dealing with a two antennas different directions setup.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl »

Correct.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Though SD probably doesn't want you doing so, my personal preference for legacy equipment is to keep them on old enough firmware to not even be considered by the "modern" apps as it is a hack (not trying for a negative connotation of hack) to provide a lineup served from SD for a device that has no clue about maintaining its own lineup and only partially provides for the modern method of tuning... I might feel a bit different about such if their dvr also supported the legacy devices but to me legacy devices using the modern app/dvr just causes confusion. However keeping such on old firmware makes it so the official HDHomeRun app can't access the device but I feel legacy equipment belongs for use by legacy apps many of which have no concept of properly sharing tuners which also helps with those apps.

I know many of my own apps had to be rewritten once the legacy devices provided a lineup url many years later.

Keep in mind that SD's apps/dvr only allows for one of any given virtual channel number and any tuner with that number is fair game to be grabbed (though the dvr won't connect to a legacy device, the app can).

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl »

I would think that just scanning a Dual in HDHomeRun Setup with the coax unplugged would wipe the data on the server, and since there's no background scan on a Dual, it won't come back. I don't have a Dual that is easily accessible to test though.

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Post by ebo »

dheianevans wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:14 am Btw, I'm assuming you can't edit that channel list on the Dual because of its age? Not a big issue, but dealing with a two antennas different directions setup.
Sure you can. Unlike the newer versions, the Dual's channel list is saved in the text file Digital Antenna.xml, normally in C:\ProgramData\Silicondust\HDHomeRun\. You can edit it with any text editor but I prefer Notepad++ because it colorizes various parts of the XML, which makes it easier to find what you're looking for. In my area a station in RF 12, which I get very well, has a repeater in RF 27 that I get marginally. Various programs to watch or record it could use either one, so I delete the RF 27 entries or comment them out. I can do the same for various subchannels I don't care about like PBS Kids or the home shopping channels.

If you use different antennas to get different channels, you could do a channel scan with one antenna, rename Digital Antenna.xml and rescan with a different antenna. Then you can collect the now-missing channel(s) from the previous version and add them to the current one. Of course you would have to redo this each time you rescan.

dheianevans

Post by dheianevans »

The issue with that is I'm using the Android app on phone and Google TV, so they wouldn't have access to the file on Windows.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Editing that file does nothing for the HDHomeRun app as that won't update SD's servers with such change as that is only done when doing the scan.