Roku unable to change channels on HDhomerun - dp0pc

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
dp0pc

Roku unable to change channels on HDhomerun - dp0pc

Post by dp0pc »

My Roku updated the HDHomeRun app yesterday. Now able to change channels... BUT am not able to control volume.

dp0pc

Re: Roku unable to change channels on HDhomerun x2

Post by dp0pc »

Correction on my previous post. After the app update in Roku Premier on 4-14-24, I can now change channels... BUT I do not receive ANY audio and am unable to increase or decrease volume.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

dp0pc wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:28 am Correction on my previous post. After the app update in Roku Premier on 4-14-24, I can now change channels... BUT I do not receive ANY audio and am unable to increase or decrease volume.
How old is your TV, and what brand is it?

dp0pc

Post by dp0pc »

For my issue with No Audio or Audio control after update to HDHomeRun app version 91.0 build 20240410

Info from my Roku Premier+:

Model:4630X - Roku Premiere+

Serial number: YR006S160704

Software Version: 12.5.5 - build 4174-29

Device ID: 7KA6A6160704

Tracker ID: 04-156-291

dp0pc

Re: Roku unable to change channels on HDhomerun - dp0pc

Post by dp0pc »

For my issue with No Audio or Audio control after update to HDHomeRun app version 91.0 build 20240410

Here is my HDHomeRun info:
Hardware Model HDFX-4K
Firmware Version 20231214
ATSC3-DRM SD20230420

Device ID 10A58D6D

knox618

Post by knox618 »

Did you -ever- have audio with that exact combination of HDHomerun, Roku and TV?

There are known problems with no audio with certain combinations of older Rokus and TVs. What make and year TV? Probably on a sticker on the set. A solution will depend on your answer.

dp0pc

Post by dp0pc »

Yes. The app worked fine for changing channels and also audio with my combination of Roku, TV and HDHomeRun app. I never recorded what app level I was at when everything was working correctly. But I believe there have been 2 app updates since my combination was working just fine.

knox618

Post by knox618 »

I know from experience there can be audio problems with older Rokus and older TVs because some have HDMI limitations or the TV can't process Dolby Digital audio. While the Rokus will work with the more flexible audio formats in streaming services, they can't process what is in the TV signal delivered by the HDHomerun.

For ATSC 1.0 TV channels, via your 4630X Premier+ (2016 vintage?) the settings at the bottom of this link -might- get you audio. It worked on my old Samsung, but not a Panasonic.

https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/roku

For ATSC 3.0 TV Channels, I don't think the 4630X will ever produce audio. SiliconDust generally recommends Roku models 4800X or higher for ATSC 3.0 viewing.

A more reliable solution is to break out of the Roku monoculture and get an Android-based streaming device. The ONN Google TV 4K Streaming Box at Walmart is a solid $20 investment that will save you many headaches.

PS. You'll probably only get generic advice until you reveal the model TV or whatever thing the Roku is plugged into.

PSS. You could also download and try the Roku Media Player app, and eliminate the HDHomerun app from the equation, to tell you more about hardware compatibility.

dp0pc

Post by dp0pc »

Thanks knox618! My TV is a Samsung 6 Series (43) and per my previous post, worked fine with previous versions of the HDHomeRun app. It only began having problems with the last couple iterations of the HDHomeRun app. All other Roku apps also work fine. In addition, using the built-in Roku Media player I can select channels and also hear /control audio from the HDHomeRun device. It is cumbersome to view local TV broadcasts that way... but it works. So... in my mind this is an issue related to the recent HDHomeRun app updates.

dp0pc

Post by dp0pc »

If there was a way to roll back to Release 20230719 or earlier, I could test/verify.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

FYI - the HDHomeRun app on Roku is not involved with audio in any way. Instead the audio/video stream is delivered to the Roku media player component for it to decode and play.

Installing a different app version will not affect things.

dp0pc

Post by dp0pc »

Well... I am pretty frustrated with the HDHomeRun app. It used to work just fine with my setup and now no longer works after recent app updates. The HDHomeRun device itself will provide video AND audio if I view the channels using the Roku built-in Media Player. Although this works, the downside is that I do not get any channel sidebar or guide and it is very cumbersome since I have to go to each separate channel using the "Folder" presented by the Roku media player. Once I select a local channel, it gets 'loaded' by the HDHomerun and I see video and audio for the channel. Can anyone tell me it SiliconDust development is interested or working on this?

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

You get audio using the Roku Media Player app with the HDHomeRun but not when using the HDHomeRun app?

dp0pc

Post by dp0pc »

Hi nickk! Yes... that is correct. If I launch the Roku Media Player, it finds the HDHomeRun 'server' and presents a 'Favorites' and a 'Channels' folder. I open the 'Channels' folder and select a channel to play. It then loads that channel from the HDHomeRun and I am able to see the video and hear the audio. If I load the HDHomeRun app from the Roku home screen, I can see the channel slice on the right and can also view the 'Guide' in the lower right. I can select different channels and see the video, but I do not hear any audio when using the HDHomeRun app.

dp0pc

Post by dp0pc »

My Roku, HDHomeRun and TV device information is provided in my previous posts to other responders on this topic