T2 Tennis Channel

ATSC 3.0 Forum
RickD_99

T2 Tennis Channel

Post by RickD_99 »

I understand that as it stands now the Flex 4K does not support streaming of Sinclair’s T2 4K channel….is this something that could be added in the near term via a firmware update?

Edit: Several folks on AVS forum have informed me that the T2 feed is 1080p, not native or upscaled 4K.

nickk
Silicondust

Re: T2 Tennis Channel

Post by nickk »

Yes, support is on the roadmap. It will be a firmware update.

NatHillIV

Post by NatHillIV »

I am just one end user. I personally hope SiliconDust does not go down the slippery slope of supporting internet "broadcasting." I bought mine as a source of over the air viewing on multiple devices, and don't really care if it merges with the Internet or not. That's just me, and I certainly would NOT base corporate decisions on one user. I do understand the ATSC 3.0 has made it just about impossible to "stand alone" as an over the air device.
Personally, for me, I hope the #1 priority for Silicon Dust is fixing the OTA DRM dilemma.

Thanks!

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

You are forgetting SD loves that, after all they brought us Premium TV which would probably still be around if it weren't for some outside pressures about it during the dispute of the "giants" vs the provider of the service to SD (I won't go into whether such dispute should have been legitimate or not and fought a bit more as the prices were about the provider was charging was what I have seen in setting up a satellite based qam service at the time with dtv or dish) and I do think something similar should be offered again when reasonably priced, problem is everyone keeps wanting more... any fees would always be optional for a user to "subscribe" or not so it isn't really a slippery slope for SD to implement.

One should also keep in mind that many of these broadband channels require DRM to be in place (ZB even had to issue another firmware update about it as some isps weren't getting along with the DRM methods used) so there is a good chance unless it is simply a URL and could work essentially the same as premium tv did that DRM would have to take priority.

RickD_99

Post by RickD_99 »

NatHillIV wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:20 am I am just one end user. I personally hope SiliconDust does not go down the slippery slope of supporting internet "broadcasting." I bought mine as a source of over the air viewing on multiple devices, and don't really care if it merges with the Internet or not. That's just me, and I certainly would NOT base corporate decisions on one user. I do understand the ATSC 3.0 has made it just about impossible to "stand alone" as an over the air device.
Personally, for me, I hope the #1 priority for Silicon Dust is fixing the OTA DRM dilemma.

Thanks!
I hear what you’re saying but from my point of view getting the content I want (in my case higher quality 1080p or 4K sports) supercedes the delivery method. I originally purchased the Flex 4K because I had seen the ATSC 3.0 promos shown locally in my Birmingham market and was excited at the prospect of viewing 4K content OTA on my LG 4K OLED TV that I paid a lot of money for. Of course fast forward a year and I now realize that the chances I will ever see true 4K content being delivered from my OTA locals are nearly zero. So if one of the compromises I have to make regarding 3.0 is the potential for accessing high quality 1080p/4K programming via streaming then I can live with that.

Like you I hope SD can find a way to address the DRM situation for our network gateway devices, but only in a way that does not encroach on our consumer fair use rights as defined by the Sony Betamax ruling.

joblo

Post by joblo »

RickD_99 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:18 am
NatHillIV wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:20 am I personally hope SiliconDust does not go down the slippery slope of supporting internet "broadcasting."
I hear what you’re saying but from my point of view getting the content I want (in my case higher quality 1080p or 4K sports) supercedes the delivery method.
So then why pester SD to do UNNECESSARY work when you can just go watch it?!?

Absolutely FREE, TODAY, right NOW: https://www.tennis.com/news/articles/ho ... nd-network

I agree 1000% with Nat: https://www.avsforum.com/threads/charlo ... t-63218685

joblo

Post by joblo »

signcarver wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:29 am One should also keep in mind that many of these broadband channels require DRM to be in place (ZB even had to issue another firmware update about it as some isps weren't getting along with the DRM methods used)
All the more reason not to waste engineering and development time even opening that can of worms...

RickD_99

Post by RickD_99 »

joblo wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:13 pm
RickD_99 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 7:18 am
NatHillIV wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:20 am I personally hope SiliconDust does not go down the slippery slope of supporting internet "broadcasting."
I hear what you’re saying but from my point of view getting the content I want (in my case higher quality 1080p or 4K sports) supercedes the delivery method.
So then why pester SD to do UNNECESSARY work when you can just go watch it?!?

Absolutely FREE, TODAY, right NOW: https://www.tennis.com/news/articles/ho ... nd-network

I agree 1000% with Nat: https://www.avsforum.com/threads/charlo ... t-63218685
Dude I’m well aware that there are other avenues available for watching T2….I simply wanted to know if SD was planning on supporting these types of streaming channels on their platform going forward. I’m very glad that they are because I see lots of potential particularly for high quality 1080p/4K HDR sports programming delivery via ATSC 3.0 STBs in the future.

zippy

Post by zippy »

I can't tell from SD's response if they will support DVR recording of these channels or just playback.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

zippy wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:55 am I can't tell from SD's response if they will support DVR recording of these channels or just playback.
Recording will be supported.

eHarrison

Post by eHarrison »

Glad SD is looking into this. In my market, we have quite a few subchannels on 1.0 that are broadcasted in 480. I would like it if the broadcasters would make the ones that have an online stream available in HD. The only loss is not getting EAS and station ID.

nblair5
Device ID: 10A5692F, 10407FBB

Post by nblair5 »

When architecting this capability, is there a plan to incorporate user oversight on internet delivered channels? For people with metered internet or security concerns, will there be a flag available for users to approve any additions or changes to the channel list that involve internet delivered channels?

Cabal

Post by Cabal »

nblair5 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 7:35 am When architecting this capability, is there a plan to incorporate user oversight on internet delivered channels? For people with metered internet or security concerns, will there be a flag available for users to approve any additions or changes to the channel list that involve internet delivered channels?
Good idea.