How to migrate DVR storage to a larger disk

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
MrDoh

How to migrate DVR storage to a larger disk

Post by MrDoh »

Is there a procedure to allow migrating one's DVR storage (with recorded programs) to a larger disk? Like from 0.5TB to 2TB?

Hoping there's a way to do this.
Last edited by MrDoh on Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cabal

Re: How to migrate DVR storage to a larger disk

Post by Cabal »

Yes, but it's not well-documented on their info/wiki pages, and it requires some Linux know-how. I'm assuming a.) you meant moving from 0.5 TB (500 GB) to 2 TB and b.) you are using a USB drive plugged into your HDHomeRun.

1.) Unplug the current drive, plug in the new drive and ask the HDHomeRun to format it.
2.) Plug both drives into a Linux PC. This can be a system booted from a Live CD, it doesn't need to be a permanent installation. The reason for this is the use of the XFS filesystem on the DVR storage drives.
3.) Copy recordings from the old drive to the new drive, being sure to maintain the directory structure and permissions (cp -a) of the old drive.
4.) Unmount and eject all drives, plug new drive into HDHomeRun.

MrDoh

Re: How to migrate DVR storage to a larger disk

Post by MrDoh »

Thanks...I can put together a Linux system using a USB hub that I can do this with. Made a KNOPPIX live CD a while ago that I can use with an old PC that I don't use anymore, still works.

Yes, I meant Tera, not Giga, of course. Should be corrected above. I do remember when a couple of gigabyte disk was a thing, though *smile*.