Couple of easy new user questions

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
MrDoh

Couple of easy new user questions

Post by MrDoh »

Just got an HDhomerun Flex, and I've looked around for the answers to a couple of ground floor questions. They're probably too simple to actually merit documenting, but I'd really be helped by answers at this point:

1. How can I find out what amount of storage (in GB) is remaining/unused on my USB DVR storage disk?

2. Is the "Current Season" choice in setting up the DVR for a particular show persistent? That is, will that recording instruction stay around for just this season and have to be re-done next season? Or will it remain, and come back into use when the next season starts?

That's it, pretty simple questions. Thanks for your help!

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Couple of easy new user questions

Post by signcarver »

Current season isn't actually current season, it used to be called recent which was more accurate but people couldn't figure out what recent was and actually wanted "new" which can be achieved by a different setting that isn't readily available in the app. It requires the original airing to be in the past 90 days which may or may not actually be in the current season and may not cover the full season. Also note "new" in any program listing overrides any other settings for a series set to record and may or may not actually be "new" as some stations may consider it "new" to them thus list it that way. The idea of the dvr is to set and forget and it will record it but perhaps not the first time around when for some reason it couldn't. The way "current season" works is original airing in past 90 days, and either the dvr doesn't have it or it was deleted through app (or something that is dvr api aware) without the rerecord setting... note an airing marked as "new" overrides deletes and currently have as well.

What platform of app as typically the app will tell you dvr usage but I believe it is a percentage used not space left (but also gives total space so you can figure it out by that) or you can look at the dvr status page on the device.

MrDoh

Post by MrDoh »

Thanks! I'm using the Apple TV app or the Fire Stick 4K app. Mainly the Apple TV app, though. I had to bring out the Fire Stick 4K when the Apple TV app didn't have the setting that allows you to activate the DVR, but the Fire Stick 4K app does. I haven't seen any "disk space percentage remaining" on either of these apps, apparently I don't know where to look. I did find a DVR status page in the hdhomerun.local information with what I'm looking for, though, so that's pretty useful.

Sounds like "Current Season" isn't the right answer for me, since the original airing has be less than 90 days ago. So it'll just go away if there's no airing within 90 days of the first one. "All Seasons" might stay around, but then I'll have to delete the past seasons' re-runs that also get recorded. I'll have to weigh the alternatives there. Sounds like I'll be creating more DVR tasks than I had hoped.

Anyways, thanks.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

The series is the series, that remains the same (other than with some revivals)... the current season setting means that (current) episode will only be presented to record (when the engine requests its orders for the next 4 hours) if the original air date was less than 90 days ago...

There are two parts of the engine making a recording... the first is retrieving the list of what it should record on the next 4 hours (gets this from the cloud every hour or two) when "RecentOnly" is set (the parameter for Current Season) the data returned from the cloud only contains such if it is new or when the original air date was in past 90 days and the cloud was told not to rerecord (that is why one must delete through app as though the default delete is to not rerecord, the cloud must be told so. The second part is the engine making the decision of if it already has it (again "new" will override this as if it is "new" you can't possibly have recorded it yet.

As for space... "back stage view" (the menu with live, recorded, discover and tasks) click the "settings" gear and then click devices. Apply TV doesn't always behave the same as the "normal" app so not sure if it shows it.

MrDoh

Post by MrDoh »

signcarver wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:46 pm The series is the series, that remains the same (other than with some revivals)... the current season setting means that (current) episode will only be presented to record (when the engine requests its orders for the next 4 hours) if the original air date was less than 90 days ago...

There are two parts of the engine making a recording... the first is retrieving the list of what it should record on the next 4 hours (gets this from the cloud every hour or two) when "RecentOnly" is set (the parameter for Current Season) the data returned from the cloud only contains such if it is new or when the original air date was in past 90 days and the cloud was told not to rerecord (that is why one must delete through app as though the default delete is to not rerecord, the cloud must be told so. The second part is the engine making the decision of if it already has it (again "new" will override this as if it is "new" you can't possibly have recorded it yet.
Yes, the Apple TV app Settings doesn't allow turning off the "Slice Guide", and doesn't have the "Devices" entry, either. Very little in the Settings for the Apple TV app. I hope that they intend to remedy that over time, I'd like to be able to turn off the "Slice Guide", it really clutters the screen, and I won't be using it.

On the "Record Current Season", sounds now like this is what I'm looking for. I'll give it a try, anyways, I can always change it.