Help understanding Rogue ATSC 3.0 Channel?

ATSC 3.0 Forum
skydogjack

Help understanding Rogue ATSC 3.0 Channel?

Post by skydogjack »

Hi,

I have a new ATSC 3.0 channel showing up in my list that I don't understand.

My normal ATSC 3.0 list from my "channel lineup" is:

104.1 WYFF
107.1 WSPA
113.1 WLOS
121.1 WHNS
140.1 WMYA

Yesterday, as I was comparing my HDHomerun and other tuners reception list and this new channel showed up:

Channel 13-10-T2 Frequency 599000
audio AC4, video hvec.

This channel is playable and displays all the "Nextgen" logo information.

This channel shows up as a "Nextgen" station and plays. I tried researching it and what I found makes no sense to me. It is the alternate streaming channel "T2" from "Sinclair, Inc". I found a bunch of information on the Internet regarding this channel, but I am confused as to how it is being broadcast on ATSC 3.0? It looks to me to only be available via various streaming platforms.

Can anyone explain this to me?

Thanks!

Here is a link I found regarding this channel.

https://www.tennis.com/news/articles/te ... eevee-fubo

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11,1040501B

Re: Help understanding Rogue ATSC 3.0 Channel?

Post by kyl416 »

The Sinclair stations that have T2 are using internet delivery which isn't yet supported by the HDHomeRun

skydogjack

Post by skydogjack »

kyl416 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:39 am The Sinclair stations that have T2 are using internet delivery which isn't yet supported by the HDHomeRun
Ah! Now I understand. I just could not put together in my head this part of the technology. It makes sense now. Thanks for the simple and easy to understand answer. I think the only other question I have is why is T2 carried? I suppose it is going to be part of Sinclair's offering via OTA. That would be a cool addition to the ATSC 3.0 attraction, unless in the future they restrict it to some "paid" service?

Cheers!

kyl416

Post by kyl416 »

T2 is their free streaming channel that's carried by a bunch of FAST providers. It isn't the same Tennis Channel that people with cable and satellite get.

howardc1243
Device ID: scribe 4k 15402ABF

Post by howardc1243 »

kyl416 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:25 am T2 is their free streaming channel that's carried by a bunch of FAST providers. It isn't the same Tennis Channel that people with cable and satellite get.
most low-power stations carry fast versions of streaming channels, this one in particular is tennis 2 subchanneled as 113.10

kyl416

Post by kyl416 »

howardc1243 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:52 ammost low-power stations carry fast versions of streaming channels, this one in particular is tennis 2 subchanneled as 113.10
Broadcast stations that have channels like OAN Plus, Newsmax 2, AWE Plus, Real America's Voice, etc are actually carrying the audio and video feeds on their signal, their FAST feeds also use targetted dyanmic ad insertion while the OTA feeds have the same commercial breaks for all viewers.
(And no, "most" LPTV stations do not carry these channels. i.e. There are over 2000 licensed LPTV and Class A stations in the USA, OAN Plus only has 42 OTA affiliates.)

In T2's case the audio and video is being delivered over the internet, the only thing on Sinclair's ATSC 3.0 signal is the data needed for the tuner to fetch the URL, which hasn't yet been implemented by the HDHomeRun 4K.

WTVJ in Miami is doing a similar thing to deliver WPBT/PBS and World Channel over the internet.
Last edited by kyl416 on Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

howardc1243

Post by howardc1243 »

kyl416 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:00 am
howardc1243 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:52 ammost low-power stations carry fast versions of streaming channels, this one in particular is tennis 2 subchanneled as 113.10
Broadcast stations that have channels like OAN Plus, Newsmax 2, AWE Plus or Real America's Voice are actually carrying the audio and video feeds on their signal.

In T2's case the audio and video is being delivered over the internet, the only thing on Sinclair's ATSC 3.0 feed is the data needed for the tuner to fetch the URL, which hasn't yet been implemented by the HDHomeRun 4K.

WTVJ in Miami is doing a similar thing to deliver WPBT/PBS and World Channel over the internet.
thank you kyl416 for that insight.

skydogjack

Post by skydogjack »

Thanks to everyone for all the information.

skydogjack

Post by skydogjack »

howardc1243 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:19 am
Broadcast stations that have channels like OAN Plus, Newsmax 2, AWE Plus or Real America's Voice are actually carrying the audio and video feeds on their signal.

In T2's case the audio and video is being delivered over the internet, the only thing on Sinclair's ATSC 3.0 feed is the data needed for the tuner to fetch the URL, which hasn't yet been implemented by the HDHomeRun 4K.

If I understand what you are saying, this particular tuner is actually getting the audio and video feed over the internet, specific to an URL provided in the ATSC 3.0 signal. That what I am seeing in the player is actually an internet stream? When I looked at the signal information again, I noticed on the video TOI (TOI Transport Object Identifier) is "0" and signal loss is "100" percent. So if I were to disconnect the tuner from the internet, I would lose that particular feed?

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Sinclair's T2 channel is an ATSC 3.0 internet channel. To receive it you need both the antenna feed and internet. The updating manifest and the stream information comes from the broadcast, the audio and video data comes from the internet. If you unplug the antenna or the internet the channel will stop playing.

skydogjack

Post by skydogjack »

nickk wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:01 pm Sinclair's T2 channel is an ATSC 3.0 internet channel. To receive it you need both the antenna feed and internet. The updating manifest and the stream information comes from the broadcast, the audio and video data comes from the internet. If you unplug the antenna or the internet the channel will stop playing.
Thanks, Nickk,

I understand now. And, it has taken me a while to catch up with many of the others in this forum to understand what is at risk. If I can digress just a bit, my view, in the end, is we are eventually headed down the path of total information control. What is sad, and I think always true, is at some point in the future, people will not even know how it was in the past. Well, my opinion.

If I had not looked deeper into the technology and compared what I was seeing in my player and the source, I would have never even had known the dependency that some of the "public" information over ATSC 3.0 was in fact dependent on an Internet connection. Well, so much for "free" OTA content.

Cheers!

Trip

Post by Trip »

nickk wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 7:01 pm Sinclair's T2 channel is an ATSC 3.0 internet channel. To receive it you need both the antenna feed and internet. The updating manifest and the stream information comes from the broadcast, the audio and video data comes from the internet. If you unplug the antenna or the internet the channel will stop playing.
Out of curiosity, what controls whether or not it appears on the HDHR? There's at least one Live Bandscan HDHR in the DC area seeing 107.10 T2, but my HDHR does not.

https://imgur.com/a/tdY8laI

I took that right after my tuner had uploaded, and you can see the T2 stream with an older timestamp, coming from one of the other tuners in the DC area.

- Trip

howardc1243

Post by howardc1243 »

skydogjack wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 4:52 pm
howardc1243 wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:19 am

If I understand what you are saying, this particular tuner is actually getting the audio and video feed over the internet, specific to an URL provided in the ATSC 3.0 signal. That what I am seeing in the player is actually an internet stream? When I looked at the signal information again, I noticed on the video TOI (TOI Transport Object Identifier) is "0" and signal loss is "100" percent. So if I were to disconnect the tuner from the internet, I would lose that particular feed?
if i am understanding kyl416 reply correctly, yes you would lose that particular feed completely.

if you would reconnect to the internet you would regain that particular feed due to the fact that feed is being transmitted by that broadcaster in the form specified.

note: HDhomerun does not support t1 or t2 protocols at this time.