fed up

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
danwilly

fed up

Post by danwilly »

I have Spectrum in New York and i've been using WMC on a windows 7 pc as my DVR. I found out the hard way that the Playready drm is a pain in the ass but I'm just gonna bite the bullet on that. With that said I've been looking to move to Linux and I wanted to know what you could suggest to a Newbie. So far this is what I'm thinking. I've got an old Intel Nuc, Install Ubuntu, install Kodi in Ubuntu. Purchase HDHR and get a cable card from Spectrum. I have Schedules Direct for channel lineup info already. I've been sifting through the forums and I know there is more to it than this. What I'm asking for here is a crowdsourced checklist. If there is something I'm missing, please let me know.

jasonl
Silicondust

Re: fed up

Post by jasonl »

Spectrum DRMs everything except the locals, you can't access DRM channels on Linux, you can't record DRM channels on anything except WMC, and Spectrum probably won't give you another CableCARD.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

Jason is mostly correct. Your chances of getting a CableCARD are slim. However, the level of DRM varies by market. You should be ready to accept that nearly every channel you want is DRM-encumbered, and just be happily surprised when one is not.

It is sad to say, but the only real market for non-WMC HTPCs with CableCARDs is FiOS.

danwilly

Post by danwilly »

ok well lets say i switch to FIOS, then what are my options?

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

If FiOS is available, then you get their cable service, a CableCARD, and use a Prime with your software DVR of choice.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl »

Spectrum in NY is legacy TWC, so all DRM.

Fios does use DRM on HBO/Cinemax and Fox-owned networks (FNC, FBN, FS1, BTN). Don't know if the former Fox channels that were spun off to Disney (FX, FXX, NatGeo) are still protected or not.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

jasonl wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:41 pm Don't know if the former Fox channels that were spun off to Disney (FX, FXX, NatGeo) are still protected or not.
They are.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl »

I wonder if people started complaining about it if they would change those? Their contract with Fox required them to DRM those channels, but it's been a few days shy of 5 years since Disney took over, so even if the old contract had carried over, they should have moved on to a new one by now.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

jasonl wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 5:20 pm I wonder if people started complaining about it if they would change those?
I'm afraid if I complain they'll put DRM on everything, then end CableCARD support. Maybe it's best to let sleeping dogs lie.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

rpcameron wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2024 6:50 pm If FiOS is available, then you get their cable service, a CableCARD, and use a Prime with your software DVR of choice.
Be aware that in some parts of FiOS land Verizon is starting to use a new ONT that does not provide a linear QAM TV source (but it also offers a higher speed Internet service, should you want it). Verizon is requiring one use their IPTV streaming box for TV service if you have one of the new ONT's. As far as I have heard, Verizon has not gone back and replaced existing ONT's (except if the customer wants the higher speeds, or the ONT fails (and due to their age, they are failing)), but it is not clear if you can request an old ONT for new service (if your area supports the new ONT).