HDHomeRun 4K is Nextgen TV Certified

ATSC 3.0 Forum
danieljlevine

Re: HDHomeRun 4K is Nextgen TV Certified

Post by danieljlevine »

So if I have a Fire Stick 4K on Samsung TVs, is this considered an Android solution in this context?

If it is, and I hope it is, does it suddenly become less clear when Amazon transitions to the new OS I think I was reading about called Vega? Or is that just for Fire TVs?

signde
Device ID: 10A23B5E

Post by signde »

danieljlevine wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:22 am So if I have a Fire Stick 4K on Samsung TVs, is this considered an Android solution in this context?

If it is, and I hope it is, does it suddenly become less clear when Amazon transitions to the new OS I think I was reading about called Vega? Or is that just for Fire TVs?
The Fire Stick 4K is currently an Android solution, yes.

No one but Amazon knows their intentions with Vega in terms of rollout. However, given that they historically have not offered major OS updates to previously released devices, it seems unlikely existing hardware will get it. But again, who knows.

Aseries
Device ID: 131D03E9 Prime

Post by Aseries »

I just received some information that the HDHOMERUN FLEX 4K is obsolete to decode ASC 3.0 DRM because it does not support HDMI.
"Certified" or not my device just 3 weeks old cannot decode the two DRM channels in Minneapolis. WCCO Ch. 104.1 and NBC Ch. 111.1

Cabal

Post by Cabal »

See the first post of this thread (updated) for status and future path on DRM support, as discussed by SD:

viewtopic.php?t=78888

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Aseries wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:48 am I just received some information that the HDHOMERUN FLEX 4K is obsolete to decode ASC 3.0 DRM because it does not support HDMI.
"Certified" or not my device just 3 weeks old cannot decode the two DRM channels in Minneapolis. WCCO Ch. 104.1 and NBC Ch. 111.1
Received information from who? DRM is still on track, please check the other thread: viewtopic.php?t=78888

IRJ
Device ID: 1080413C

Post by IRJ »

[removed by moderator - see forum rules]

IRJ

Post by IRJ »

For those who wonder I just posted a link to an article re another company who is releasing a Networked DRM compatible DVR and tuner starting in April.
The purpose of my posting was NOT to promote another company, but to NOTE that the DRM and Network issue has been solved.
It's very difficult avoid mentioning such an important event.
Last edited by IRJ on Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

MikeBear

Post by MikeBear »

IRJ wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:44 am For those who wonder I just posted a link re an article re a competitor who is releasing a Networked DRM compatible DVR and tuner starting in April. I posted an independent article NOT a link to the competitor's website. So as another company has found a way to release an upgrade for their customers. So we should await SD to follow??
Seems we are not allowed to even mention another company name...
Gateway devices such as HDHR's have far GREATER requirements per A3SA group, than hard-wire connected via HDMI devices such as the one you are referring to. A3SA has NOT approved ANY companies ATSC 3.0 GATEWAY tuners to date, non, nada!

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

IRJ wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:44 am The purpose of my posting was NOT to promote another company, but to NOTE that the DRM and Network issue has been solved.
That is not the case.

As far as we can tell the A3SA specs still prevent operation on Windows, Mac, iOS, Apple TV, XBox, Samsung, LG, and Roku. The only devices that could plausibly be made to work are select Android devices and select Fire TV devices.

We will be making a more formal statement soon.

Kash76

Post by Kash76 »

Aseries wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:48 am I just received some information that the HDHOMERUN FLEX 4K is obsolete to decode ASC 3.0 DRM because it does not support HDMI.
I am also in MSP and as a Kickstarter purchaser of the 4k device, this is very disappointing.

IRJ

Post by IRJ »

nickk wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:27 am
IRJ wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 9:44 am The purpose of my posting was NOT to promote another company, but to NOTE that the DRM and Network issue has been solved.
That is not the case.

As far as we can tell the A3SA specs still prevent operation on Windows, Mac, iOS, Apple TV, XBox, Samsung, LG, and Roku. The only devices that could plausibly be made to work are select Android devices and select Fire TV devices.

We will be making a more formal statement soon.

Ok I have waited a month for the update.
Nickk you owe it to the owners of your hardware to keep us better informed.

howardc1243
Device ID: scribe 4k 15402ABF

Post by howardc1243 »

for the last two years when i tuned to WTAE 104.1 pittsburgh i got the message "cannot play channel" content protection required.

for the last few months now i've been getting the message "cannot play channel" the broadcaster has applied usage restrictions that prevents viewing/recording of content on this device.

nickk and company is heading in the right direction, keep at it guys.