HDHR Android app bug

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
foxbat121
Device ID: 10A57CFF

HDHR Android app bug

Post by foxbat121 »

Recently, I noticed an annoying issue/bug that probably is introduced in recent app updates.

Here is where this issue that annoys me and I consider it as a bug in this particular situation:
* I run HDHR app on my Sony TV
* My Sony TV is connected to a soundbar via ARC/eARC. TV is set to external AVR audio mode.
* The volume control commands on the TV will control the soundbar volume instead thanks to HDMI CEC.
* HDHR app is set to digital pass through for audio.

Whenever I open HDHR app to watch TV, anytime I press vol up or down remote buttons, a message pops up on screen stating something like 'the volume control does not affect sound volume, use the remote for the TV or AVR instead' but the volume of the soundbar does change in this case. While it makes sense if you have a standalone Android TV box and you can't control the volume of the Android TV box via its own volume control commands in pass-through mode but it fails to consider the special case here that my TV itself is Android TV device already and its volume remote commands can control the connected AVR or soundbar volumes via CEC.

hutchpuppy

Re: HDHR Android app bug

Post by hutchpuppy »

Is the Sony an Android/Google TV? Does it happen every time used, or do you clear the issue/popup by force close the hdhr app and restart it (in app settings)?

I have an annoying issue sometimes too...only happens on my onn atv 12's, not my un-tivoed stream 4k atv 10's. Each time I start the hdhr app in the evening, it will crash back to home screen and must start again, always takes 2 starts to get the app going.

Another annoyance (not hdhr related), my AVR connected atv 10 will just sometimes decide to change the remote from "control TV, to control AVR" so I lose my on-screen volume display overlay.

May check your remote settings to see which is set as the control, should be set for TV, since it's passing the CEC to the soundbar. (If it's an Android/Google TV anyway.)

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 »

hutchpuppy wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:34 pm Is the Sony an Android/Google TV? Does it happen every time used, or do you clear the issue/popup by force close the hdhr app and restart it (in app settings)?
Yes, Sony TV is an Android TV that runs Android TV OS 10. It happens every time I press the volume button on remote.
May check your remote settings to see which is set as the control, should be set for TV, since it's passing the CEC to the soundbar. (If it's an Android/Google TV anyway.)
It's an actual TV, so the remote buttons are already set, and not configurable, to TV's volume control. It is not like how you use an external Android TV box.

Like I said, it is probably intentional on SD's part to 'help' those use external boxes but failed to consider those run app on TV itself.

rikd
Silicondust
Device ID: 108042A1, 10814D8E

Post by rikd »

AFAIR the error has nothing to do with the app.
It is the android system on the TV saying you can't adjust the volume with its interface/remote since it can't send/confirm volume adjust commands with an output.
With audio in app set to passthrough as you mention, the app is not involved in volume control.

Check if another audio out path is enabled on the TV, e.g. headphones or Bluetooth. Also check for latest firmware.. I remember sometime back my A9G series did similar and I just ignored until Sony resolved it.

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 »

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, my X900H does not have any firmware updates for a while now. If it is a Sony problem, I will have to live with it. However, it only shows up in HDHR app, not other stream apps.

rikd
Silicondust
Device ID: 108042A1, 10814D8E

Post by rikd »

Never say never.. Your X900H is 1 year newer than mine - and I got a new update over the holidays this year!
I don't know what it fixed or added really - newer version of android TV (so.. good) and the all the settings menus have completely changed.

Anyway,
The reason you don't see the message for other apps is most likely because they are using the decode capabilities of the TV to PCM and then sending out via HDMI to your soundbar.
So, of course the TV remote works, and no annoying message.
Question for you is do you see the Soundbar indicating a volume change or is it just the TV adding volume to the decoded PCM in this scenario?
What's strange for HDHR App is you get the warning yet you believe the CEC is working.
Not doubting you - just saying is strange.
Check the Bravia Sync settings on the TV to see if it lists the device and that you do indeed have control (I have instructions below on how to check).
Or if you have some visible check you can do on the soundbar - maybe make sure the soundbar isn't getting an IR signal from the remote?

You don't mention the make/model of the soundbar - but do you know if it's eARC compatible or just ARC?
eARC can carry uncompressed E-AC3 - while ARC can only carry compressed audio up to 1Mbps AC3 - and that depends on the manufacturer of BOTH the TV and Soundbar.
In an ARC scenario the TV could simply report the available codecs, or it might report more codecs, and then do an internal decode/re-encode or sometimes just strip out the info it wants - all completely independent of the App(s) - and also TV dependent!
This could explain why HDHR passthrough is working, but no CEC - while 'Other Apps' are forced to decode anyway.

Some things to check on the TV (this is from my A9G - apologies I couldn't get last night as TV was in use).
Under Settings-> Display and Sound -> Audio Output
Check eARC Mode, Digital audio out, Dolby Digital Plus output and Pass through mode
For me - that's set to Auto, Auto 1, Dolby Digital Plus and Auto respectively.
But honestly I suspect your problem is more likely in the Bravia settings
I believe is under Settings -> Channels and Inputs -> External Inputs -> Bravia Settings
Make sure sync control is enabled (you can't change it - but it will show if it's enabled)
Here you can also check the Bravia Sync device list and confirm your soundbar is listed.
Also check under HDMI signal format in previous menu (Settings -> Channels and Inputs -> External Inputs) that the HDMI port is listed as eARC/ARC

foxbat121

Post by foxbat121 »

All the settings checked out fine. I'm using eARC mode and Atmos sound from streaming apps work just fine. I have volume indicators on both on screen display and LEDs on the soundbar for volume changes. So, it is only the message that is annoying. Actual volume controls have no problem at all. Also, this message pops up on both ATSC 1.0 and 3.0 stations (the TV has been confirmed by Nickk as being able to handle AC-4 directly).