DVR on Synology NAS not seen by HDHomeRun tuner?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Rudy

DVR on Synology NAS not seen by HDHomeRun tuner?

Post by Rudy »

I'm one of those who lost my old DVR installation when I upgraded to the most recent Synology DSM version, and I'm currently on DSM 7.2-64570 Update 3 (which is the most current). I installed using the official HDHomeRun SPK file, the most recent version 1.0.45892. Prior to that, I had no issue recording.

Short version--the process seems to run OK on the server with no errors, the config file at Volume1/HDHomeRun is correct, yet it seems as though the tuner can't see the DVR. I get no log file in this directory, and it appears the DVR doesn't work, although I can't really tell.

In the HDHomeRun application, I show two devices--my Connect Duo, and HDHomeRun Record. Both have white checkmarks next to them. In HDHomeRun setup, I have the box ticked to "Use Network Attached Storage." There is a button for "NAS Install" but that fails, as it gets to a point where it says smbd can't be found on the NAS. (SMB is indeed running, as other devices on the network are using it.)

I can't access the status page on the NAS using port 50000 (http://10.0.1.21:50000). It makes me wonder if that has something to do with it.

Any idea what I can check first? Seems we can't attach screenshots or I'd post a few here.

NedS
Silicondust

Re: DVR on Synology NAS not seen by HDHomeRun tuner?

Post by NedS »

What does the contents of your hdhomerun.conf file show? The logs from your account are showing a bad recording path.

Rudy

Post by Rudy »

NedS wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 2:00 pm What does the contents of your hdhomerun.conf file show? The logs from your account are showing a bad recording path.
First, a question if you don't mind--where would I find those logs? If I could see those, I could probably troubleshoot this a little easier.

Located here:

Code: Select all

/volume1/HDHomeRun/hdhomerun.conf
Contents:

RecordPath=/volume1/HDHomeRun/
Port=50000
The HDHomeRun share also points to /volume1/HDHomeRun/

What permissions/ownership should /volume1/HDHomeRun have?

I cannot access the web view for the Synology process at https://my.server.ip:50000 (https://10.0.1.21:50000)--it gives the message "Connection refused."

I also noticed something in the system logs shown at http://hdhomerun.local/log.html .

19700101-00:00:04 System: reset reason = firmware upgrade
19700101-00:00:04 System: network link 100f
19700101-00:00:05 System: ip address obtained: [fe80::218:ddff:fe06:4863]/64
19700101-00:00:05 System: ip address obtained: 10.0.1.35/24
20240301-02:26:30 System: time changed from Thu Jan  1 00:00:21 1970 to Fri Mar  1 02:26:30 2024
20240301-02:26:33 System: ip address obtained: 169.254.218.177/16
Notice after the firmware update it connects to the 10.0.1.0/24 network that the rest of my network devices live on. Yet after the time change, it is showing it obtained an ad-hoc network address (169.254.0.0/16 network). But, I can ping 10.0.1.35 successfully, so I don't know what the ad-hoc network has to do with all this.

Zone99

Post by Zone99 »

The logs are located in the same path as the hdhomerun.conf file:
/volume1/HDHomeRun/hdhomerun.conf
I cannot access the web view for the Synology process at https://my.server.ip:50000 (https://10.0.1.21:50000)--it gives the message "Connection refused."
I am not sure what port 50000 is? I thought the default port was 5000.
20240301-02:26:33 System: ip address obtained: 169.254.218.177/16
That IP address should be the Cable Card. At least it is for mine. Are you sure your cable card is working right?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Rudy wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:11 am First, a question if you don't mind--where would I find those logs? If I could see those, I could probably troubleshoot this a little easier.
They get sent to our debug server and a local copy is written to your recording path, but since the recording path isn't working, you're not going to have any local logs at the moment. It sounds like it might be a permissions error, since your config file looks normal. It's missing a storage ID, but the DVR should add that automatically once we get the permissions error fixed.

Open the Synology web UI (it should be using port 5000) and open File Station, then locate/highlight the HDHomeRun folder. Under the "Action" drop-down menu select "Properties". Make sure the owner is set to "HDHomeRun" and the group is set to "users", then check "Apply to this folder, sub-folders and files" and click the "Save" button.

Then go to the Package Center and stop the HDHomeRun DVR package, then start it again. See if that changes anything.

Rudy

Post by Rudy »

NedS wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:15 am Open the Synology web UI (it should be using port 5000) and open File Station, then locate/highlight the HDHomeRun folder. Under the "Action" drop-down menu select "Properties". Make sure the owner is set to "HDHomeRun" and the group is set to "users", then check "Apply to this folder, sub-folders and files" and click the "Save" button.

Then go to the Package Center and stop the HDHomeRun DVR package, then start it again. See if that changes anything.
No change. The owner was HDHomeRun but the group was also set to HDHomeRun, and I changed that to Users. For testing I also made sure permissions were set to 0700 for the directory and HDHomeRun user. And I also tried 0770 with no luck either, which is where I've left it for now.

I'm more comfortable at a command line if that helps, but can go through the Synology utilities also if needed. (I did verify my "chown" operation was successful via File Station, though.)

A couple of days ago (prior to posting here) I did an uninstall/reinstall, even renaming and moving any HDHomeRun directories which had recordings in them. I was hoping that would purge any issues but apparently not.

Rudy

Post by Rudy »

Another question. I prefer installing the SPK through the Synology, but what is the purpose of the option in the HDHomeRun Setup application, under the DVR tab, which says "Use Network Attached Storage (NAS) for making recordings -> NAS Install. I have that checked of course, but what does the NAS Install button actually do? Is it trying to install another instance of the NAS package? If I click the button, it does display the correct NAS, and show that it's a Synology (and the correct model).

I tried that a few days ago and it got to the Starting Service step, where it shows "Error." Followed by, "Service start failed / Unable to install."

I'm thinking it's a permissions error regardless of what I've tried so far, yet everything seems OK with file ownership and read/write/execute permissions...

Also, SMB is active on the Synology.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

The NAS installer on Windows is a holdover from when we didn't have a Synology-specific installer. It can be ignored if you are using Synology (and some other brands).