Encryption

ATSC 3.0 Forum
MikeBear

Re: Encryption

Post by MikeBear »

That looks encouraging! Now that they are over 14 months into encryption, they finally release a solution for set-top makers?

pdicamillo
Device ID: 10A40E07

Post by pdicamillo »

It appears these specs may be for SiliconDust as well. The article states "A3SA approved the new specifications and rules for secure DVRs, home gateways, and other accessory devices, as well as a newly added alternative method to let viewers securely stream ATSC 3.0 content from such devices throughout their home network."

freway01

Post by freway01 »

MikeBear wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:30 am
That looks encouraging! Now that they are over 14 months into encryption, they finally release a solution for set-top makers?
The big questions are:
1. Has SD received copies of the new specifications?
2. Are the specifications realistic?
Just because the broadcasting community thinks it is fair and reasonable, doesn't mean it is to the consumer.

Once niikk has a chance to review and digest the specifications/blueprints, I, like most of us out on the thread, hopes he'll provide a breakdown of what the A3SA specs are, and what functionality we have today with ATSC 1.0, that we won't have with ATSC 3.0. Will the HDHR ATSC 3.0 tuners work with 3rd party products like Plex and Channels, like they do today?
Last edited by freway01 on Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Freekick123

Post by Freekick123 »

freway01 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:46 am Once niikk has a chance to review and digest the specifications/blueprints, I, like most of us out on the thread, hopes he'll provide a breakdown of what the A3SA specs are, and what functionality we have today with ATSC 1.0, that we won't have with ATSC 3.0. Will the HDHR ATSC 3.0 tuners work with 3rd party products like Plex and Channels, like they do today?
I'm betting the specs closely resemble the list of "features" provided to broadcaster previously posted.

anonymouse

Post by anonymouse »

freway01 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:46 am Once niikk has a chance to review and digest the specifications/blueprints, I, like most of us out on the thread, hopes he'll provide a breakdown of what the A3SA specs are
Assuming it's public information; it may be licensed only to developers (at a cost, I would imagine) and quite possibly under NDA.
Will the HDHR ATSC 3.0 tuners work with 3rd party products like Plex and Channels, like they do today?
This has been answered before -- it will be up to Plex and Channels to provide approved apps.

bitemydust

Post by bitemydust »

I just looked at my Amazon Receipt for my 4k flex. Purchased March 9, 2023. Almost a year now with no solution for DRM.
Last edited by bitemydust on Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cabal

Post by Cabal »

I would be interested in reading it, but alas, obscurity...

HoTst2

Post by HoTst2 »

freway01 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:46 am
MikeBear wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:30 am
The big questions are:
1. Has SD received copies of the new specifications?
2. Are the specifications realistic?
Just because the broadcasting community thinks it is fair and reasonable, doesn't mean it is to the consumer.

Once niikk has a chance to review and digest the specifications/blueprints, I, like most of us out on the thread, hopes he'll provide a breakdown of what the A3SA specs are, and what functionality we have today with ATSC 1.0, that we won't have with ATSC 3.0. Will the HDHR ATSC 3.0 tuners work with 3rd party products like Plex and Channels, like they do today?
Yes, I wholeheartedly agree ...

As the language of the A3SA's presser indeed sounds wonderful. And the A3SA appears to be giving themselves a big "pat on the back" and now taking a victory lap on this accomplishment.

But I will of course eagerly await Nickk's assessment on this news first before I get too enthusiastic about it. ....

freway01

Post by freway01 »

anonymouse wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:04 am
freway01 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:46 am Once niikk has a chance to review and digest the specifications/blueprints, I, like most of us out on the thread, hopes he'll provide a breakdown of what the A3SA specs are
Assuming it's public information; it may be licensed only to developers (at a cost, I would imagine) and quite possibly under NDA.
Will the HDHR ATSC 3.0 tuners work with 3rd party products like Plex and Channels, like they do today?
This has been answered before -- it will be up to Plex and Channels to provide approved apps.
It would be nice to get nickk, or someone from SD, to respond seeing they are the ones who have been in discussions with the A3SA, and will be doing the work.

As for Plex and Channels, I know they will have to provide approved apps, but the question is, are there any restrictions in the specifications that doesn't allow their apps from using SD hardware like they do today.

CubsWin

Post by CubsWin »

freway01 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:45 am As for Plex and Channels, I know they will have to provide approved apps, but the question is, are there any restrictions in the specifications that doesn't allow their apps from using SD hardware like they do today.
Considering that Channels can stream content outside of the home, I assume that would be a problem.

anonymouse

Post by anonymouse »

CubsWin wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:20 am
freway01 wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:45 am As for Plex and Channels, I know they will have to provide approved apps, but the question is, are there any restrictions in the specifications that doesn't allow their apps from using SD hardware like they do today.
Considering that Channels can stream content outside of the home, I assume that would be a problem.
As can Plex.

NatHillIV

Post by NatHillIV »

It's a start folks. Maybe something good can come from this announcement for us HDHomeRun fanatics.
Happy birthday to me! :D

Cabal

Post by Cabal »

[removed by moderator]

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl »

Just a reminder, "Discussion of third party products that do not utilize HDHomeRun tuners" is off-topic.

Nick will post an update when he has one. He hasn't even said anything to us yet, so he's probably several dozen pages deep.

Cabal

Post by Cabal »

jasonl wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:11 pm Nick will post an update when he has one. He hasn't even said anything to us yet, so he's probably several dozen pages deep.
What we know so far about the spec: There are many pages. Confirmed!

😂