HDHomeRun Flex 4K ATSC 3.0 Next GenTV Tuner

ATSC 3.0 Forum
skinny1962

HDHomeRun Flex 4K ATSC 3.0 Next GenTV Tuner

Post by skinny1962 »

My HDHomeRun Flex 4K ATSC 3.0 Next GenTV Tuner will not decode ATSC 3.0 channels. I keep getting the following error message "Unable to play channel Content Protection Required". Will there be a softare update to fix this problem. The reason I bought this tuner is so I could watch ATSC channels!

Thank you,

Ricky Johnson
Lawrence, KS

anonymouse

Re: HDHomeRun Flex 4K ATSC 3.0 Next GenTV Tuner

Post by anonymouse »

The answer is somewhat complicated, start with the first post in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=78888&sid=04736a208deae ... 259d1949bd

The pertinent bit is that it in the forseeable future, there will be an update that will work with Android-based streaming boxes:
Will DRM encrypted ATSC 3.0 channels play on my Android or Fire TV device?
Using a gateway product - we expect it will be possible in the future but it is not possible today. The Google Widevine DRM decryption is possible but there are other requirements that are draft/incomplete at this time. There is activity happening.

skinny1962

Post by skinny1962 »

What about being able to play o Emby?

Thank you,

Rick

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl »

Any third-party app would need to license the DRM system, implement it, and complete compliance testing to prove that their implementation meets all the security requirements. Viewing of protected content outside the home would be prohibited no matter what. I can't see any reason why Plex or Emby would even consider it when a fundamental part of both programs is being able to access your content from anywhere.

matthewjbauer

Post by matthewjbauer »

As far as I know, the issue of content protection required is not a problem with ATSC 3.0 but a feature of ATSC 3.0 that broadcasters can choose to enable. This is normal. I have that issue where I live and actually cannot receive any of my 3.0 stations except for Fox and its sub channel for CW. ABC, NBC, and CBS are all encrypted, requiring the A3SA decryption standards to be implemented. The problem here is that gateway (IPTV) broadcasting devices like the Flex 4k aren't part of the current A3SA DRM specs, and the A3SA DRM specs aren't part of ATSC 3.0 (and ATSC 3.0 isn't really working with A3SA on this either). We have been told that once A3SA comes up with a specification and certification for gateway style devices for DRM, then Silicon Dust will get DRM (or whatever A3SA allows them to implement) added to the Flex 4k.

donho2

Post by donho2 »

I am in the market for a ATSC 3.0 compatible Tuner/DVR to view and time shift/record OTA programs. So far the HDHomeRun Flex 4K meets most of the features I'm looking for. I have read the Encryption thread on this forum and have two questions two questions 1) In the last bullet of the recent post I see that SiliconDust will "plan to offer" an ATSC solution that may "block the user from recording the channel" or "block the user from viewing the channel via their home network" among other concessions. Have I read this correctly? My use case is to view on the TVs on my home network, and record to time shift the viewing of programs. Do I understand that you are planning to possibly negotiated a solution where this is not possible? Thank you for providing me information here so I can make an informed purchasing decision.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

donho2 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:10 pm 1) In the last bullet of the recent post I see that SiliconDust will "plan to offer" an ATSC solution that may "block the user from recording the channel" or "block the user from viewing the channel via their home network" among other concessions. Have I read this correctly? My use case is to view on the TVs on my home network, and record to time shift the viewing of programs. Do I understand that you are planning to possibly negotiated a solution where this is not possible? Thank you for providing me information here so I can make an informed purchasing decision.
There is no negotiation - A3SA mandates the requirements for all products.

It is unclear at this time if the A3SA mandated requirements have been made public.

What we can say publicly is what our product does or will do.