Sharpening?

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
Dobs14

Sharpening?

Post by Dobs14 »

Just bought the Flex 4K and I'm generally very impressed with the picture quality but it seems that, when viewing using the HD HomeRun app on a Fire TV Stick 4K Max stick, the video has sharpening artifacts (shimmering, artificial edges). I have a Tivo HD and the same feed viewed on the Tivo doesn't have these artifacts. I'm wondering where this sharpening is being done. Is the feed being changed by the Flex 4K or is the Fire TV sharpening the output? The Tivo and Fire TV HDMI ports have exactly the same settings, including sharpness.

Graham

nickk
Silicondust

Re: Sharpening?

Post by nickk »

That has to either be the TV or the FireTV Stick doing that (the HDHomeRun app invokes Fire TV hardware video decode).

Check the TV settings and set sharpness to 0, then check for any Fire TV settings.

Dobs14

Re: Sharpening?

Post by Dobs14 »

Thanks for your reply. Per my initial post, the HDMI port sharpness settings are identical (actually, all settings are identical) so this must be due to the Flex 4K or the Fire TV stick. Unfortunately, there are no sharpness settings on the Fire TV stick. I will try using the native LG app (the Flex 4K is detected as a streaming device).