Audio drifts out of sync over time with ATSC 3 channels on AFTV Stick 4k Max 2023

ATSC 3.0 Forum
signde
Device ID: 10A23B5E

Audio drifts out of sync over time with ATSC 3 channels on AFTV Stick 4k Max 2023

Post by signde »

HDHR app is the latest from 01/16 with audio mode set to passthrough. Fire OS audio is set to "Dolby Digital Plus". This is the only combination that seems to correctly send actual DD+ audio to my Denon AVR-x4700h rather than PCM or some upmixed fake surround sound. The AVR shows full 5.1 DD+ input and the mixing sounds correct so I assume AC-4 audio is happening on device.

The issue I am seeing is that with both major 3.0 locals that are not using DRM, Fox and ABC, the audio will drift out of sync after ~20 minutes or so. If I change to a different channel, then come back, the audio will be in sync again. But rinse, repeat, it will inevitably drift out. The ATSC 1.0 channels on this same device play fine and do not drift.

I turned on send diagnostics earlier, though I am not sure how much that will help troubleshoot this.

FWIW this device is also having other seemingly network related issues - the above behavior is only when it plays long enough to not do that.

Please let me know what else I can provide to help narrow this down.

sailplanepilot

Re: Audio drifts out of sync over time with ATSC 3 channels on AFTV Stick 4k Max 2023

Post by sailplanepilot »

I have the same issue with Fire Stick 4K max. I changed the Fire Stick Audio setting from "Auto" to "PCM" and this fixed the problem. I don't have a high-end audio system - just a 2.1 soundbar - so I haven't noticed any difference in the quality of the audio. None-the-less, something isn't quite right and needs to be fixed. I suspect the issue is the Fire Stick, but I haven't been able to verify that yet.

I don't have any network issues, as I have a network cable connection and not using WiFi.

cncb

Re: Audio drifts out of sync over time with ATSC 3 channels on AFTV Stick 4k Max 2023

Post by cncb »

Same here on latest Fire Cube.

rikd
Silicondust
Device ID: 108042A1, 10814D8E

Post by rikd »

Is it just the HDHomeRun App, and just ATSC3 channels?
Does sync re-establish after restarting the content? or app?

I ask, because I see the same drift on other Apps on the 2023 4k MAX also - in particular with the Hulu and PlutoTV.
At first, just restarting the app or even just playback of the content will get it back in sync, but at some point it will drift again.
After a while it seems like I can't get it back (no amount of restart app/stream works) and have to reboot the stick
Currently at about every 2 or 3 days of usage I have to reboot.

My setup is:
  • Max2023 (DD+ out) plugged into HDMI of Sony TV
  • Sony TV eARC to Marantz AVR

signde

Post by signde »

rikd wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 1:44 pm Is it just the HDHomeRun App, and just ATSC3 channels?
Does sync re-establish after restarting the content? or app?

I ask, because I see the same drift on other Apps on the 2023 4k MAX also - in particular with the Hulu and PlutoTV.
At first, just restarting the app or even just playback of the content will get it back in sync, but at some point it will drift again.
After a while it seems like I can't get it back (no amount of restart app/stream works) and have to reboot the stick
Currently at about every 2 or 3 days of usage I have to reboot.

My setup is:
  • Max2023 (DD+ out) plugged into HDMI of Sony TV
  • Sony TV eARC to Marantz AVR
It is just the HDHR app for me and only on the ATSC 3.0 stations. The 1.0 stations in the app do not drift. And restarting the content, no app restart, will resync initially but then it drifts again over time.

rikd
Silicondust
Device ID: 108042A1, 10814D8E

Post by rikd »

signde wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:49 am It is just the HDHR app for me and only on the ATSC 3.0 stations. The 1.0 stations in the app do not drift. And restarting the content, no app restart, will resync initially but then it drifts again over time.
One more Q..
Is the stick plugged into the Denon or a TV? Or other?

signde

Post by signde »

rikd wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 11:18 pm
signde wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 8:49 am It is just the HDHR app for me and only on the ATSC 3.0 stations. The 1.0 stations in the app do not drift. And restarting the content, no app restart, will resync initially but then it drifts again over time.
One more Q..
Is the stick plugged into the Denon or a TV? Or other?
My fire stick is plugged directly into the Denon AVR.

Also FWIW, I have been using both Plex and Emby on this device and have had no sync issues with a variety of audio, a lot of which has also been DD+ (EAC3 JOC).