Minimum SD Hardware Needed for DVR Software

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
sirlou

Minimum SD Hardware Needed for DVR Software

Post by sirlou »

Hi, I have a legacy HDHR3-US, which does not fully work with the latest software and I want to upgrade so that I can use the latest SD software fully, including the DVR-Software. I, however, want to stick with an ATSC 1.0 tuner given all the ATSC 3.0 issues I've read about here and other places. I want to watch AND record OTA.

I am on a budget, so I was looking at picking up a used older box, so my question is: what is the oldest version that *does* work fully with the DVR software, is it the HDHR4-2US?

If buying used is not a worthwhile endeavor, what is the recommend box, the HDHomeRun FLEX DUO HDFX-2US?

Thanks for any advice!

Lou

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Minimum SD Hardware Needed for DVR Software

Post by NedS »

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl »

For anyone else who happens across this thread, note that the CONNECT 4K/FLEX 4K models fully support ATSC 1.0 on all tuners, they just happen to also support ATSC 3.0 on 2 of them. Nothing is lost for 1.0 channels if you pick up a 3.0-capable model with an eye towards the future.

sirlou

Post by sirlou »

jasonl wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:43 pm For anyone else who happens across this thread, note that the CONNECT 4K/FLEX 4K models fully support ATSC 1.0 on all tuners, they just happen to also support ATSC 3.0 on 2 of them. Nothing is lost for 1.0 channels if you pick up a 3.0-capable model with an eye towards the future.
I did not know this because they were advertised as 3.0 tuners, I thought that was all they were. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

I only just learned about the messed up situation with ATSC 3.0 and the DRM issue and not being able to record now and so on. I am hopeful it all gets sorted before the cutoff of ATSC 1.0, whenever that is. I read June 2027, but we'll have to see.

Lou

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11,1040501B

Post by kyl416 »

sirlou wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:09 pm am hopeful it all gets sorted before the cutoff of ATSC 1.0, whenever that is. I read June 2027, but we'll have to see.
There is no set date for an ATSC 1.0 cutoff. 2027 is just the next time they will reconvene with no decision made either way what will happen after that. But considering that there are no plans for a manufacturer mandate or plans to fund a coupon converter program, there's pretty much 0% of them reaching a high enough penetration that they will allow stations to drop their ATSC 1.0 simulcasts.

The 2027 end dates that many stations have in their NextGen filings is meaningless, most stations just put a date 4 or 5 years from their launch date because something had to be entered into the intend/estimate field in order for the form to be accepted. The more recent filings from FOX and some other broadcasters have more realistic estimates well into the 2030s.

sirlou

Post by sirlou »

kyl416 wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:15 pm
sirlou wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:09 pm am hopeful it all gets sorted before the cutoff of ATSC 1.0, whenever that is. I read June 2027, but we'll have to see.
There is no set date for an ATSC 1.0 cutoff. 2027 is just the next time they will reconvene with no decision made either way what will happen after that. But considering that there are no plans for a manufacturer mandate or plans to fund a coupon converter program, there's pretty much 0% of them reaching a high enough penetration that they will allow stations to drop their ATSC 1.0 simulcasts.

The 2027 end dates that many stations have in their NextGen filings is meaningless, most stations just put a date 4 or 5 years from their launch date because something had to be entered into the intend/estimate field in order for the form to be accepted. The more recent filings from FOX and some other broadcasters have more realistic estimates well into the 2030s.
I have read this as well, several times. I know the corps. are pushing hard for this - ATSC 3.0 with DRM; we'll have to keep fending them off. I know its been a bee in their bonnet since the Betamax days.

Lou

ckwsp101_tv

Post by ckwsp101_tv »

sirlou wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:09 pm
jasonl wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 5:43 pm For anyone else who happens across this thread, note that the CONNECT 4K/FLEX 4K models fully support ATSC 1.0 on all tuners, they just happen to also support ATSC 3.0 on 2 of them. Nothing is lost for 1.0 channels if you pick up a 3.0-capable model with an eye towards the future.
I did not know this because they were advertised as 3.0 tuners, I thought that was all they were. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

I only just learned about the messed up situation with ATSC 3.0 and the DRM issue and not being able to record now and so on. I am hopeful it all gets sorted before the cutoff of ATSC 1.0, whenever that is. I read June 2027, but we'll have to see.

Lou
If in a challenging reception location (multi-path) CONNECT 4K/FLEX 4K models better than prior generations.

sirlou

Post by sirlou »

ckwsp101_tv wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:05 am
sirlou wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 8:09 pm

Lou
If in a challenging reception location (multi-path) CONNECT 4K/FLEX 4K models better than prior generations.
Good to know, I just bought the HDHomeRun Connect HDHR4-2US which looks nearly identical to my HDHR3-US, but which can use the latest software.
I am in a large metro area near to the signal towers and have very good reception. If that changes I will consider the Flex models, thanks.

Lou