Encryption

ATSC 3.0 Forum
nickk
Silicondust

Re: Encryption

Post by nickk »

freway01 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:32 pm Sounds like you and the SD team know what needs to be done. But once the DRM hurdles for watching & recording are overcome,
1. Will current SD ATSC 3.0 'gateway' devices be able to be upgraded, or will it require a new device?
Firmware upgrade + new record engine release + app updates.
freway01 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:32 pm 2. Will the 'gateway' devices like the 4K Flex function than like the Quatro 'Gateway' ATSC 1.0 device does today with the same features like 'time shifting'?
That is our target. Some features like overlapping recordings may be an issue.
freway01 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:32 pm 3. Will an internet connect be required at all times? This could be a problem for people who either don't have the internet, or poor/slow internet connections.
Internet will be required to start playback of any DRM protected recording.
freway01 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:32 pm 4. Plex and Channels have been great advocates for SD 'gateway' devices, are you working with them or keeping them in the loop on your progress?
Plex and Channels are great. Unfortunately we can't share DRM information that isn't public.

freway01

Post by freway01 »

nickk wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:42 pm
freway01 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:32 pm Sounds like you and the SD team know what needs to be done. But once the DRM hurdles for watching & recording are overcome,
1. Will current SD ATSC 3.0 'gateway' devices be able to be upgraded, or will it require a new device?
Firmware upgrade + new record engine release + app updates.
freway01 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:32 pm 2. Will the 'gateway' devices like the 4K Flex function than like the Quatro 'Gateway' ATSC 1.0 device does today with the same features like 'time shifting'?
That is our target. Some features like overlapping recordings may be an issue.
freway01 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:32 pm 3. Will an internet connect be required at all times? This could be a problem for people who either don't have the internet, or poor/slow internet connections.
Internet will be required to start playback of any DRM protected recording.
freway01 wrote: Mon Jan 29, 2024 2:32 pm 4. Plex and Channels have been great advocates for SD 'gateway' devices, are you working with them or keeping them in the loop on your progress?
Plex and Channels are great. Unfortunately we can't share DRM information that isn't public.
Thanks nickk. It would be so much easier for SD and all the other manufactures if the FCC and Congress would do their jobs and tell the broadcasters not to 'encode' and signals line ATSC 1.0, and not try to sidestep previous consumer gains on the 'recording for personal' use front.

freway01

Post by freway01 »

Lon Seidman of the Lon TV YouTube channel posted a new video last night on the status of ATSC 3.0. Lon confirms a lot of what we've learned on in this, and the original 'Encryption' thread. Below the video are links to the petition (16-142) he has filed opposing 'DRM' and an index to the video. Lon adds some clarity to what has already discussed in this thread, and talks a little more on the internet requirement for ATSC 3.0 once the broadcasters actually begin broadcasting in 4K. He makes it sound like the 4K broadcast will actually be distributed via the internet, but I've read that the internet will be used for 'DRM certificate' validation and for the 'interaction' features of ATSC 3.0. Maybe nickk can add some clarity.

Here's a link to Lon's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1vTpSJHVyo&t=634s

foxbat121
Device ID: 10A57CFF

Post by foxbat121 »

From what I read, there is a way for broadcasters to offer internet delivery of content in NextGen TV. It is mentioned as Broadband Channels, in the release note of the other box which they intent to release support soon (Feb 2024)

Cabal

Post by Cabal »

foxbat121 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:01 am From what I read, there is a way for broadcasters to offer internet delivery of content in NextGen TV. It is mentioned as Broadband Channels, in the release note of the other box which they intent to release support soon (Feb 2024)
Another YouTuber indicated this is already live and usable in the Miami market. I don't recall when they started testing.

foxbat121
Device ID: 10A57CFF

Post by foxbat121 »

Yep, DC market is next to test that. From what I understand, the broadcaster will send out URLs for the shows in ATSC 3.0 signal. The tuner will extract that information out and connect to the URL to receive the actual content. Sounds interesting but I suspect it will be DRM protected to hell (since it is not using public airwave for content delivery).

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

foxbat121 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 9:01 am From what I read, there is a way for broadcasters to offer internet delivery of content in NextGen TV. It is mentioned as Broadband Channels, in the release note of the other box which they intent to release support soon (Feb 2024)
At least one of the initial (back in the initial discussions about ATSC-next) thoughts about delivering the content over the Internet was that it could provide "fill in" coverage for those with challenged reception (as long as you can receive a low bit rate PLP for identification of the transmitter you can receive the higher bitrates and upscale to pure wonderful 16K (or whatever) via your Internet connection). As SFN's are simply not viable in a number of locations, this was a way to provide good coverage across the entire DMA. As is typical, once you have the technology, other uses come to mind that may be useful.

tjp

Post by tjp »

foxbat121 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 10:07 am Yep, DC market is next to test that. From what I understand, the broadcaster will send out URLs for the shows in ATSC 3.0 signal. The tuner will extract that information out and connect to the URL to receive the actual content. Sounds interesting but I suspect it will be DRM protected to hell (since it is not using public airwave for content delivery).
Lon Seidman talks about on his latest YT video.

Personally, I think it's a ridiculous use of the airwaves. If the device has to get the content from the internet anyway - just publish the URLs on a known Internet site :roll:

zippy

Post by zippy »

Could one reason be that the actual URL's are embedded in the video watermark and change for each show.

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11,1040501B

Post by kyl416 »

tjp wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:32 pmIf the device has to get the content from the internet anyway - just publish the URLs on a known Internet site
Local stations only have the right to show network and syndicated programming in their viewing area, which is why the live streams on their websites only carry newscasts, local programming and other filler. Publishing stream URLs that carry all of the programming they broadcast OTA out in the open would let anyone across the country access it as it's impossible to apply state or DMA specific IP geoblocking on the streaming server level when the IP addresses used by most wireless providers resolve to one of their national data centers instead of your city. Not to mention it would invite lawsuits from companies who hold the out of market rights to regionalized programming like NFL games and syndicated sports.

zippy

Post by zippy »

And maybe any ATSC 3.0 broardcast containing watermarked audio, video, and extended features will probably be encrypted.

cavaliere2001

Post by cavaliere2001 »

No mention of Linux :( I guess I'll need to replace all of my raspberry pi's that are currently hooked into my TVs with something more expensive at some point.

Cabal

Post by Cabal »

cavaliere2001 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 3:39 pm No mention of Linux :( I guess I'll need to replace all of my raspberry pi's that are currently hooked into my TVs with something more expensive at some point.
The $20 Walmart ONN 4K Android TV device is one of their certification platforms, so you can start fairly cheap. You’ll only get transcoded stereo audio from AC-4 with that price point, though.

howardc1243
Device ID: scribe 4k 15402ABF

Post by howardc1243 »

zippy wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 1:02 pm Could one reason be that the actual URL's are embedded in the video watermark and change for each show.
bingo!

howardc1243
Device ID: scribe 4k 15402ABF

Post by howardc1243 »

kyl416 wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 2:05 pm
tjp wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2024 12:32 pmIf the device has to get the content from the internet anyway - just publish the URLs on a known Internet site
Local stations only have the right to show network and syndicated programming in their viewing area, which is why the live streams on their websites only carry newscasts, local programming and other filler. Publishing stream URLs that carry all of the programming they broadcast OTA out in the open would let anyone across the country access it as it's impossible to apply state or DMA specific IP geoblocking on the streaming server level when the IP addresses used by most wireless providers resolve to one of their national data centers instead of your city. Not to mention it would invite lawsuits from companies who hold the out of market rights to regionalized programming like NFL games and syndicated sports.
most important is silicondust can in a firmware update may allow gateway devices an option to ignore content urls if a user doesn't want to be bothered with them.