Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Downloads & Instructions
Peterc

Re: Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Post by Peterc »

rikd wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:02 pm
Peterc wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:27 pm My other issue is as I mentioned in another post, I don't see any of my previous recordings except for one folder with 2 episodes. I should have dozens of previously recorded shows, and even the one folder showing up only shows 2 episodes, when it should have 59. Is there anyway to get all my recordings to show back up in the App?
As long as you don't delete any shared folders then chances are the files are on the drives at least and it's just a matter of moving them and making them visible to both you and the record engine
I upgraded DSM from 6 tp 7, and uninstalled the previous unofficial version I had running. Then I tried to just install the official version. It did change the hdhomerundvr userid to hdhomerundvr__PKG_
Weird it renamed it like that!
But also could be why we can't see the previous recordings
Reinstalled the official version, and can see it now did create the new HDHomeRun share, and I was able to edit the hdhomerun.conf file. Looks like it does recognize my USBshare as the record path.
Good start
But I still have a couple of issues. I didn't create a HDHomeRun user, and when I try to create one I get an error - "The user name already exists or is reserved for system use only. Please enter a new a different one." Even without this username that I can see, permissions seem to be working OK, and the HDHomeRun app on my other devices can run the DVR fine, and recordings are going to my USBShare.
You don't need to create a new user with the Official SPK.
With the move to DSM the synology auto creates a user for the package - HDHomeRun
Looks like in 'Control Panel' -> 'Shared Folder' does have a HDHomeRun folder, but this looks like one I created myself with that name but is actually the USBShare, the path for this is actually /volumeUSB2/usbshare/
yeah - if you already have a share called 'HDHomeRun' the Synology won't create the requested one by the Package as it sees it exists.
problem here is, as you see, a share name and an actual folder location aren't necessarily the same thing. it is possible to create a share called HDHomeRun and point to /oblivion if you wanted to. This can cause issues because the SPK expects normal behavior of asking for HDHomeRun share to be created at /VolumeN/HDHomeRun where volumeN is where the Synology has been setup to write to a volume for apps.
And that can lead to permissions issues.
But it's working so lets not get side tracked..

For your older recordings
Are they in the record path you modified to?
Well - then we probably need to patch the permissions
Make sure you add the HDHomeRun user to the share in the shared folder settings
Open Control Panel -> Shared Folder
Select the shared folder
Select 'Edit'
Select the Permissions tab and make sure HDHomeRun and any other users you want have read/write access

If that doesn't make them available - you may need to SSH to the NAS and go to the folder and do a 'chown' to make the HDHomeRun user the owner of the files
Thank you for all your help today. I think I was editing this post when you responded. I was able to change all the permissions to the folders and files on my USBshare drive and I can see all my old recordings now.

But as for permissioning HDHomeRun as a user to the share, that is my last problem as I don't see this user available in the Control Panel user list. It also doesn't show up to add in the share folder permissions. Even without adding this user to the share permissions, things seem to be working as expected.

Peterc

Post by Peterc »

Peterc wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:18 pm
rikd wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:02 pm
Peterc wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:27 pm My other issue is as I mentioned in another post, I don't see any of my previous recordings except for one folder with 2 episodes. I should have dozens of previously recorded shows, and even the one folder showing up only shows 2 episodes, when it should have 59. Is there anyway to get all my recordings to show back up in the App?
As long as you don't delete any shared folders then chances are the files are on the drives at least and it's just a matter of moving them and making them visible to both you and the record engine
I upgraded DSM from 6 tp 7, and uninstalled the previous unofficial version I had running. Then I tried to just install the official version. It did change the hdhomerundvr userid to hdhomerundvr__PKG_
Weird it renamed it like that!
But also could be why we can't see the previous recordings
Reinstalled the official version, and can see it now did create the new HDHomeRun share, and I was able to edit the hdhomerun.conf file. Looks like it does recognize my USBshare as the record path.
Good start
But I still have a couple of issues. I didn't create a HDHomeRun user, and when I try to create one I get an error - "The user name already exists or is reserved for system use only. Please enter a new a different one." Even without this username that I can see, permissions seem to be working OK, and the HDHomeRun app on my other devices can run the DVR fine, and recordings are going to my USBShare.
You don't need to create a new user with the Official SPK.
With the move to DSM the synology auto creates a user for the package - HDHomeRun
Looks like in 'Control Panel' -> 'Shared Folder' does have a HDHomeRun folder, but this looks like one I created myself with that name but is actually the USBShare, the path for this is actually /volumeUSB2/usbshare/
yeah - if you already have a share called 'HDHomeRun' the Synology won't create the requested one by the Package as it sees it exists.
problem here is, as you see, a share name and an actual folder location aren't necessarily the same thing. it is possible to create a share called HDHomeRun and point to /oblivion if you wanted to. This can cause issues because the SPK expects normal behavior of asking for HDHomeRun share to be created at /VolumeN/HDHomeRun where volumeN is where the Synology has been setup to write to a volume for apps.
And that can lead to permissions issues.
But it's working so lets not get side tracked..

For your older recordings
Are they in the record path you modified to?
Well - then we probably need to patch the permissions
Make sure you add the HDHomeRun user to the share in the shared folder settings
Open Control Panel -> Shared Folder
Select the shared folder
Select 'Edit'
Select the Permissions tab and make sure HDHomeRun and any other users you want have read/write access

If that doesn't make them available - you may need to SSH to the NAS and go to the folder and do a 'chown' to make the HDHomeRun user the owner of the files
Thank you for all your help today. I think I was editing this post when you responded. I was able to change all the permissions to the folders and files on my USBshare drive and I can see all my old recordings now.

But as for permissioning HDHomeRun as a user to the share, that is my last problem as I don't see this user available in the Control Panel user list. It also doesn't show up to add in the share folder permissions. Even without adding this user to the share permissions, things seem to be working as expected.
Solved the last issue also. I had to goto the share -> permissions and change it from local users to System Internal Users, then I see the HDHomeRun user, and it already had read/write permissions.

Thanks again for everything. This app is something my family uses daily, and we love it.

reverik

Post by reverik »

Hi folks,

looking for help. I have been using HDHomeRun on a WD MyCloud2100 and was using the standard install instructions from windows from SD and it was working great. NAS is now failing and I bought a Synology DS224+ to replace it. I mistakenly thought it would be the same install experience as the MyCloud was. Goal was a NAS that could transcode for Plex just like my MyCloud but also supports HDHomeRun DVR. I know I can use Plex DVR but prefer the HDHomeRun one, honestly

Anyway, trying to follow instructions here for getting the HDHomeRun record engine and stuff set up but getting super lost and all over the place. I see steps for upgrading from previous Synology ver which I guess worked. I am not seeing an end to end install from the beginning. Does that exist? I am technical but maybe not that technical.

Would you just recommend sending Synology back and getting a MyCould again if this is my primary use case?