HDHomeRun 4K is Nextgen TV Certified

ATSC 3.0 Forum
MikeBear

Re: HDHomeRun 4K is Nextgen TV Certified

Post by MikeBear »

howardc1243 wrote: Wed Sep 13, 2023 3:15 am
decaym wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 1:02 pm For those wanting to talk about (not going to post it) or (not going to post that one either), I would encourage you to go spend time at the AVS Forum ATSC 3.0 thread. Having to wade through piles of "content removed" messages here is becoming very tedious when all I want to know is what progress SiliconDust is making on getting DRM working for their own product.

My FLEX 4K is the only device in my home which is currently hooked up to receive broadcast television. I shouldn't have to read about (some unrelated stuff) just to see what is happening with it on a manufacturer's own forum.

Sorry to gripe. Thank you.
decaym until that busted a3sa get their authentication server working silicondust is stuck in a continuous holding pattern, and nickk and crew i think would like to get the DRM support going.
You don't REALLY believe that they are that incompetent, do you? They could have had that server working right away, they are obviously stringing SD along for whatever reasons.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

joblo wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:43 pm
gtb wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:01 pm What the broadcasters have been recently pushing is the FCC subsidizes a cheap box that converts ATSC 3.0 to a HDMI output to support existing ATSC 1.0 only TV's and then everyone can go ATSC 3.0.
Not good enough. That box also needs a standard NTSC output for those still using CECBs.
For the dinosaurs, if the (not yet existing, so its capabilities are not yet known) adapter does not include a NTSC output, purchase a $10-$15 HDMI to NTSC converter.

howardc1243
Device ID: scribe 4k 15402ABF

Post by howardc1243 »

[removed by moderator]

afordnyc

Post by afordnyc »

I also confused- what's the timing on DRM issue being addressed....I love my HD HomeRun 4K because it's so easy to use the add on all my devices in my home, vs. setting up these other boxes on individual TV's but I'm in NYC and now I have 3 ATSC 3.0 channels blocked with encryption......hopefully this is addressed soon in firmware?- Can you let your customers know the timeline?

MikeBear

Post by MikeBear »

afordnyc wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 8:34 am I also confused- what's the timing on DRM issue being addressed....I love my HD HomeRun 4K because it's so easy to use the add on all my devices in my home, vs. setting up these other boxes on individual TV's but I'm in NYC and now I have 3 ATSC 3.0 channels blocked with encryption......hopefully this is addressed soon in firmware?- Can you let your customers know the timeline?
There is none that's firm, or even a true WAG. They and we are all at the mercy of A3SA who approves DRM capability, and they just aren't in any sort of hurry.

lovekeiiy

Post by lovekeiiy »

rkkeller wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:05 am ... I use the newest 128Gb AppleTV device on my main TV ... ATSC 3 is now in my area ... but I have no idea if it will work or not with the Flex 4k ....
... is NextGen Certified but with no DRM support ... I would even get my ATSC 3 channels ...
Yes it will pickup ATSC3 channels. Whether or not you can actually watch them is a different story. We're going to assume you pickup the channels well with your antenna.

I'm not sure about AppleTV, but for the most part, ATSC3 channels use a propriety audio codec that has yet to be cracked/hacked. Thus, software like Plex, Kodi, and so forth will not have audio. I have Roku boxes and this remains true even with Silicondust's own TV app. I have to use a PC with Silicondust's app and had to buy Microsoft codec pack to get audio. This is only for ATSC3 (4k channels) and NOT ATSC 1; those play without issue.

The next issue is that some TV stations have turned on the DRM on ATSC3. You'll need to check online to find out which ones have done this. ATSC1 channels don't have this issue. I know for me, NBC and ABC turned on DRM. Fox did not. Really a bummer since it's football season. The 4K channels were a little more sharper image qaulity, but it was never night and day from the 1080p to 4K like it was for 480i to 1080p.

Silicondust is trying to get the DRM channels unlocked. All other external TV tuners are having the same issue. *********, from what i've read, seems to be closest at this time. It has some other issues.

If you really want to watch ATSC3 stations, including the DRM ones, you would need to get a new TV; they have hardware encoding. There wouldn't be any DVR or household wide TV distribution or remote viewing.

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

There aren’t any over the air TV stations (ATSC 3.0 or otherwise) broadcasting in 4K.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

lovekeiiy wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:17 am I'm not sure about AppleTV, but for the most part, ATSC3 channels use a propriety audio codec that has yet to be cracked/hacked. Thus, software like Plex, Kodi, and so forth will not have audio.
ATSC 3.0 audio is fully supported on AppleTV with the HDHomeRun app.
lovekeiiy wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2023 7:17 am I have to use a PC with Silicondust's app and had to buy Microsoft codec pack to get audio.
ATSC 3.0 audio is fully supported on Windows with the HDHomeRun app. No codec pack required.
ATSC 3.0 video requires the Microsoft HEVC Video Extensions (codec) which is $0.99 from Microsoft.

DennisFL

Post by DennisFL »

NatHillIV wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:12 pm I can testify that my HDHR5-4K can successfully record an ATSC 3.0 broadcast. Through the $20 WalMart Onn "Google TV box" no less! :D
Now if somebody from the broadcast industry will PLEASE work with SiliconDust on DRM, I can quit being so mean to the broadcasters in the AVS ATSC 3.0 forum.
How did you do it? Can you give the details on how the ONN decoded DRM in the HR4K???

MikeBear

Post by MikeBear »

DennisFL wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:57 am
NatHillIV wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 6:12 pm I can testify that my HDHR5-4K can successfully record an ATSC 3.0 broadcast. Through the $20 WalMart Onn "Google TV box" no less! :D
Now if somebody from the broadcast industry will PLEASE work with SiliconDust on DRM, I can quit being so mean to the broadcasters in the AVS ATSC 3.0 forum.
How did you do it? Can you give the details on how the ONN decoded DRM in the HR4K???
He must be talking about recording NON DRM channels. Because there's no way his ONN device decoded DRM.

DennisFL

Post by DennisFL »

MikeBear wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:10 am
He must be talking about recording NON DRM channels. Because there's no way his ONN device decoded DRM.
I read a review on cord cutters and they claim it can

https://cordcuttersnews.com/hdhomeruns- ... apple-tvs/

They referenced sd from

viewtopic.php?t=77618&sid=c27f284093c45 ... rt=570#top

Google TV box from Walmart is the cheap device to get, with the only real downside being not having AC-4 support built in and having to use the transcode service. It is now one of our primary development/testing platforms.

The 2023 version has AC4 audio but no Dolby Vision.

though
Device ID: 1080F671 and 1081896C

Post by though »

DennisFL wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:52 am Google TV box from Walmart is the cheap device to get, with the only real downside being not having AC-4 support built in and having to use the transcode service. It is now one of our primary development/testing platforms.
The older "Android TV" onn box is the old one. The current model is the "Google TV" onn box. I agree it's great for the price.

Cabal

Post by Cabal »

DennisFL wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:52 am The 2023 version has AC4 audio but no Dolby Vision.
It does not.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

DennisFL wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:52 am
MikeBear wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 6:10 am

I read a review on cord cutters and they claim it can

https://cordcuttersnews.com/hdhomeruns- ... apple-tvs/

They referenced sd from

viewtopic.php?t=77618&sid=c27f284093c45 ... rt=570#top

Google TV box from Walmart is the cheap device to get, with the only real downside being not having AC-4 support built in and having to use the transcode service. It is now one of our primary development/testing platforms.

Not "can" but "should" be able to once SilciconDust can make such available on Android/Google TV.

The onn currently can handle DRM with the prime (cablecard) while the roku won't.

Neither the AndroidTV or GoogleTV model of the onn natively supports ac4, (it must use SD's cloud transcoding service). My suggestion for ATSC3 is the latest firetv 4k max (I've seen more issues with the non-max though occasionally those have been environment issues) which does support AC4... however firetv products won't support DRM with/from a prime (cablecard).

though
Device ID: 1080F671 and 1081896C

Post by though »

On a side note, the newer model onn Google TV box supports AV1 FWIW.