HDHomeRun 4K is Nextgen TV Certified

ATSC 3.0 Forum
EddieP

Re: HDHomeRun 4K is Nextgen TV Certified

Post by EddieP »

kyl416 wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:16 pm
EddieP wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:03 pmlowered the Power of 12.1 and 49.1 and now I cannot even Pick those up where they use to come in crystal clear
If you're talking about KPTV Portland, they were granted permission to move from VHF 12 to UHF 21, but in order to complete that move, they they have to replace their existing VHF antenna with a UHF model, so they're likely broadcasting from their backup antenna that's lower on the tower until the work is done.
Exactly thanks for the info.

hdhomerunjoe

Post by hdhomerunjoe »

is it to early to ask if there will there any advantage in purchasing a Servio to make DRM protected channels DVR more 'seamless' ?

foxbat121
Device ID: 10A57CFF

Post by foxbat121 »

hdhomerunjoe wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 3:50 pm is it to early to ask if there will there any advantage in purchasing a Servio to make DRM protected channels DVR more 'seamless' ?
Nothing more seamless than using built-in DVR on the Flex 4K itself.

speedingcheetah

Post by speedingcheetah »

I fail to see how your devices are "Nextgen TV Certified" when they actually do not work at all for ATSC 3.0 since those stations are all DRM/Encrypted in most markets.
"Does not include support for DRM protected channels. This feature will be added via firmware/app update in the future."

Meanwhile, i see some other tuner boxes that already work fine with DRM stations.

Hope your firmware update comes some time this year, as by "coming soon" posts by SD i see as far back as Jan of this year... 9 months ago now.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

speedingcheetah wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:05 pm I fail to see how your devices are "Nextgen TV Certified" when they actually do not work at all for ATSC 3.0 since those stations are all DRM/Encrypted in most markets.
The HDHomeRun is Nextgen TV logo'd. DRM support is optional in ATSC 3.0.
speedingcheetah wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:05 pm Meanwhile, i see some other tuner boxes that already work fine with DRM stations.
No video gateway products. As things stand today DRM can be implemented on TVs and set top boxes, not yet on gateway products. TV stations chose to turn on encryption knowing this. A3SA is working on it.
speedingcheetah wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:05 pm Hope your firmware update comes some time this year, as by "coming soon" posts by SD i see as far back as Jan of this year... 9 months ago now.
Waiting on A3SA. We can't do anything more at this point until A3SA completes what they need to do.

speedingcheetah

nickk wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:23 pm
speedingcheetah wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:05 pm I fail to see how your devices are "Nextgen TV Certified" when they actually do not work at all for ATSC 3.0 since those stations are all DRM/Encrypted in most markets.
The HDHomeRun is Nextgen TV logo'd. DRM support is optional in ATSC 3.0.
speedingcheetah wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:05 pm Meanwhile, i see some other tuner boxes that already work fine with DRM stations.
No video gateway products. As things stand today DRM can be implemented on TVs and set top boxes, not yet on gateway products. TV stations chose to turn on encryption knowing this. A3SA is working on it.
speedingcheetah wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:05 pm Hope your firmware update comes some time this year, as by "coming soon" posts by SD i see as far back as Jan of this year... 9 months ago now.
Waiting on A3SA. We can't do anything more at this point until A3SA completes what they need to do.
I see. I was not aware of the distinction of STB vs Gateway devices. Seems they do not like Gateway devices.

Is the decoding done on the tuner device, or is it done in the client software app? or both?

Once SD tuners get the DRM firmware, will they also work in other software's, like Plex for OTA 3.0 DRM stations?

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

speedingcheetah wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:37 pm Is the decoding done on the tuner device, or is it done in the client software app? or both?
The actual DRM decryption is done by the player device (OS/hardware level protection, not decrypted the app). There are other aspects of the security the HDHomeRun and app are required to be involved in such as the round-trip-time check.
speedingcheetah wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:37 pm Once SD tuners get the DRM firmware, will they also work in other software's, like Plex for OTA 3.0 DRM stations?
It should be possible for third party closed source apps to implement the app-level requirements. We expect Freecast to support DRM protected channels.
Plex - note that one of the goals of the DRM is to block remote viewing.

speedingcheetah

nickk wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:00 pm
speedingcheetah wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:37 pm Is the decoding done on the tuner device, or is it done in the client software app? or both?
The actual DRM decryption is done by the player device (OS/hardware level protection, not decrypted the app). There are other aspects of the security the HDHomeRun and app are required to be involved in such as the round-trip-time check.
speedingcheetah wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:37 pm Once SD tuners get the DRM firmware, will they also work in other software's, like Plex for OTA 3.0 DRM stations?
It should be possible for third party closed source apps to implement the app-level requirements. We expect Freecast to support DRM protected channels.
Plex - note that one of the goals of the DRM is to block remote viewing.
Thank you for the info.

"remote viewing" i find that term ambiguous. I can "remote" view my home media server, even HDHR, via Plex, or Emby, or Channels DVR, without using their actual remote options.
Via self hosted VPN. The server software thinks i am on my local network, as I am, local IP.
Have to wonder if the DRM would have a way to detect this, trick, perhaps have a mechanism to detect the higher latency to the client device...

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

speedingcheetah wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:09 pm "remote viewing" i find that term ambiguous. I can "remote" view my home media server, even HDHR, via Plex, or Emby, or Channels DVR, without using their actual remote options.
Via self hosted VPN. The server software thinks i am on my local network, as I am, local IP.
Have to wonder if the DRM would have a way to detect this, trick, perhaps have a mechanism to detect the higher latency to the client device...
Self hosted VPN won't help. The test is a round-trip-time check - same concept as running ping but cryptographically strong. The ping time must be under 7ms for video to be allowed to be decrypted.

speedingcheetah

nickk wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:12 pm
speedingcheetah wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:09 pm "remote viewing" i find that term ambiguous. I can "remote" view my home media server, even HDHR, via Plex, or Emby, or Channels DVR, without using their actual remote options.
Self hosted VPN won't help. The test is a round-trip-time check - same concept as running ping but cryptographically strong. The ping time must be under 7ms for video to be allowed to be decrypted.
Ah. I see. But, where I often VPN at, my work place or family members home, my ping times are about 5ms, most of the time... so might work for me in that specific requirement, but, other factors probably will prevent that....DRM is just annoying. Why they care where i watch things? Don't they want the views and ratings. etc. lol.

MikeBear

Post by MikeBear »

speedingcheetah wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:21 pm
nickk wrote: Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:12 pm
Why they care where i watch things? Don't they want the views and ratings. etc. lol.
Think about it for a bit, IF they allowed remote viewing, that's a possible "pirate" attack point for those guys that setup tuner farms, and sell IP subs without paying the providers. Or as I like to call the providers, "Robber Barons".

HoTst2

Post by HoTst2 »

Nickk wrote:

"The actual DRM decryption is done by the player device (OS/hardware level protection, not decrypted the app)"

Sign ....

Every time I think I understand this better I really don't. ...

So to use my current setup as an example. I have a network connected HDFX-4K and watch OTA TV from it through the hdhomerun app installed on a Fire TV Cube (3rd gen.).

Now the actual DRM decryption would be done by the hardware and OS running on the Fire Cube itself?

So the Fire Cube already has the built in ability to decrypt DRM programs, but (I guess) needs certain information provided by the FW from SiliconDust to perform it?

Someone please help me out here, as I'm still struggling to wrap my head around this issue. And why it's taking over 7 months (from what I've heard) to provide a solution to this. ...

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

HoTst2 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:48 am Now the actual DRM decryption would be done by the hardware and OS running on the Fire Cube itself?
So the Fire Cube already has the built in ability to decrypt DRM programs, but (I guess) needs certain information provided by the FW from SiliconDust to perform it?
Yes.
HoTst2 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:48 am Someone please help me out here, as I'm still struggling to wrap my head around this issue. And why it's taking over 7 months (from what I've heard) to provide a solution to this. ...
A3SA.

In 7 months their test provisioning server is still unable to generate a certificate that their own test licensing servers will accept.

We can't do anything more until this works - our apps can't connect because the certificates their server provides don't work.

TV broadcasters have chosen to DRM encrypt channels knowing that this doesn't work.

HoTst2

Post by HoTst2 »

nickk wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:00 am
HoTst2 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:48 am Now the actual DRM decryption would be done by the hardware and OS running on the Fire Cube itself?
Yes.
HoTst2 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:48 am Someone please help me out here, as I'm still struggling to wrap my head around this issue. And why it's taking over 7 months (from what I've heard) to provide a solution to this. ...
A3SA.

In 7 months their test provisioning server is still unable to generate a certificate that their own test licensing servers will accept.

We can't do anything more until this works - our apps can't connect because the certificates their server provides don't work.

TV broadcasters have chosen to DRM encrypt channels knowing that this doesn't work.
Ok, great so far, thanks. ...

Now just one more thing...

When we see other mfrs. of the HDMI connected STB types already having done or are giving specific future dates for their DRM reception capability. Is this because they have different requirements than gateway devices like the HDHR which don't require these sort of hassles with the A3SA?

MikeBear

Post by MikeBear »

HoTst2 wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 11:41 am
nickk wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 9:00 am
Yes.
A3SA.

Ok, great so far, thanks. ...

Now just one more thing...

When we see other mfrs. of the HDMI connected STB types already having done or are giving specific future dates for their DRM reception capability. Is this because they have different requirements than gateway devices like the HDHR which don't require these sort of hassles with the A3SA?
BINGO! That's exactly correct! [removed by moderator - see forum rules]