HDHomeRun 4K is Nextgen TV Certified

ATSC 3.0 Forum
rkkeller

Re: HDHomeRun 4K is Nextgen TV Certified

Post by rkkeller »

r8ders2k wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:29 pm Jason, yes, my 3rd Gen is on the beta, but my 2nd Gen Apple TV 4K is on 16.6 (20M73) and it's also on version 20230510 (App) / 20230510 (UI). My HDHomeRun 4K is on firmware 20230719. And all I'm getting on the DRM channels is a black screen with the channel ID.
I gave up trying my AppleTV devices as in a few weeks 17 will be the official TVOS so the app needs updating I think.

Soapdishbandit

Post by Soapdishbandit »

Thank you for working on this DRM. Minneapolis/St. Paul just went live today and only 2 channels are unencrypted. 🤬

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl »

The tvOS 17 that gets released in a month or so will be significantly improved from what is in the beta, just based on past Apple experience. Apple betas are often buggy as hell, and they tend to fix the vast majority of the problems themselves for the release version. Once the release is out, we will evaluate and make any necessary changes.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

rkkeller wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 5:24 amI gave up trying my AppleTV devices as in a few weeks 17 will be the official TVOS so the app needs updating I think.
SiliconDust has been somewhat consistent in saying that they will deal with vendor official release versions only (whether Apple, Google, Microsoft, etc.) for any required app updates as the beta's are often so broken as that (my interpretation) as a small company they cannot continuously chase bugs in the beta's and change their code when the bugs are (as likely as not) to be fixed before release by the vendors. I also suspect that SiliconDust does test the betas (depending on the vendor they many not be allowed to admit that), and feed into the vendors feedback systems, but until those updates ship, it will not result in substantial engineering effort.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl »

I suspect a lot of people don't read the terms they agree to when participating in the Apple beta program. There's some interesting stuff there that I won't mention, but one thing I will mention is that all feedback is supposed to be submitted to Apple. FWIW, I personally am not a beta program participant nor a developer, I just went and found the info online.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

jasonl wrote: Thu Aug 17, 2023 6:13 pm I suspect a lot of people don't read the terms they agree to when participating in the Apple beta program. There's some interesting stuff there that I won't mention, but one thing I will mention is that all feedback is supposed to be submitted to Apple. FWIW, I personally am not a beta program participant nor a developer, I just went and found the info online.
The Blazing Saddle quote is still relevant regarding to most people choosing to access the betas and then complain here:

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons."

rkkeller

Post by rkkeller »

The Apple betas are no longer you have to sign up on a website, get a free or paid developer account like it used to be. Now all you do is on the devices themselves under updates, you just select one if you want it, no links on the web anymore or anything like that. Everyone using any Apple device can be a developer or get the public betas.

I guess will we see in another a week or so what works or not as the final release will be going in the beta for testing.

stevelk

Post by stevelk »

I tried freecast. It is not bad. The android app will recognize the HDhomerun tunner and display the channels . It will show only the unexcrypted 3.0 channels.

bitemydust

Post by bitemydust »

stevelk wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:26 am I tried freecast. It is not bad. The android app will recognize the HDhomerun tunner and display the channels . It will show only the unexcrypted 3.0 channels.
On what client? I tried it a few days ago on FireTV and GoogleTV and It just showed streaming channels

Jim1348

Post by Jim1348 »

Do we have any idea when HDHomeRun will get DRM?

Beerman

Post by Beerman »

[removed by moderator]

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

Jim1348 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 6:47 am Do we have any idea when HDHomeRun will get DRM?
When it is ready, and not before.

If what you are asking is a precise date, get used to disappointment (for a precise date will not be provided).
Last edited by gtb on Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

jasonl wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2023 6:32 pm ... but Channels could potentially make it work. They struck out on getting DTCP-IP licensing for CableCARD DRM, but Widevine is a totally different system with different requirements so it's not an automatic 'no'.
There are always possibilities, and Channels can certainly change their plans (and may need to if they wish to have a long term future), but first, Channels will need to become a A3SA adopter, and while the A3SA web site list of members/adopters is always going to be trailing, Channels is not so identified at this time, and they have not indicated on their forums they are pursuing such.

EddieP

Post by EddieP »

They really messed up my Fox Channels 112.1 and 149.1 They DRm'd them both a lowered the Power of 12.1 and 49.1 and now I cannot even Pick those up where they use to come in crystal clear. So luckily I have 2 Prime devices. I am on the edge of totally giving up on homegrown DVRS.

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11,1040501B

Post by kyl416 »

EddieP wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:03 pmlowered the Power of 12.1 and 49.1 and now I cannot even Pick those up where they use to come in crystal clear
If you're talking about KPTV Portland, they were granted permission to move from VHF 12 to UHF 21, but in order to complete that move, they they have to replace their existing VHF antenna with a UHF model, so they're likely broadcasting from their backup antenna that's lower on the tower until the work is done.