HDHomeRun 4K is Nextgen TV Certified

ATSC 3.0 Forum
scottct1

Re: HDHomeRun 4K is Nextgen TV Certified

Post by scottct1 »

[removed by moderator]

You are signed up for a $4.99 a month package of channels. It tells me my next $4.99 is due on September 9th. None of these channels they are offering are any I watch or would pay for. I just canceled. (A majority of their channels are channels found on Pluto TV, Roku TV and other services.

There is however an add if you click on "other offers" for a $199 HD Homerun Scribe box.

https://www.freecast.com/partners/hdhomerun

"HDHomeRun Box
$199.99

Combine FreeCast with your HD antenna into one seamless entertainment experience.

Four tuners and 150 hours of recording storage all-in-one amazing box.

COMING SOON"

There is ZERO mention of HDHomeRun on the site that I can find

If this is real not sure why they announced it when its not ready to go, and I would expect SiliconDust to announce it as well and they haven't. The articles make it sound like this is available now. And it does not appear to be. Lets home SiliconDust coments soon.
Last edited by scottct1 on Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Freecast is using HDHomeRun tuners for local channels.

It is being polished. Announcements in the works.

scottct1

Post by scottct1 »

Looks like it was already announced. Just not by you, lol. :)

Well at least we know its not a scam now.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

scottct1 wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:03 pm According to this article, it says that HD Homerun support with DRM support is now available.

https://cordcuttersnews.com/hdhomerun-a ... -freecast/

Where is it?
Sounds like the author is confused. DRM support for ATSC 3.0 HDHomeRun products is still pending. Today's certification does not include DRM support.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

The Cord Cutters News article is incorrect - we have NOT released DRM support as of yet - it is still in the works.

Nick

scottct1

Post by scottct1 »

Thanks for the update Nick!

Going through the FreeCast site more I am a little more relaxed that its not a scam. I run SatelliteGuys.US which is America's third Largest Home Theater Forum, and I work a lot with people from DISH and have worked in the past with Tracy J. West who is listed as their ‍EVP of Digital Content & Channel Distribution.

So I guess I will relax (I was hoping to get my CBS back when added DRM last month) and wait again.

Dang I was excited too. :D

Thanks again Nick!

NatHillIV

Post by NatHillIV »

I can testify that my HDHR5-4K can successfully record an ATSC 3.0 broadcast. Through the $20 WalMart Onn "Google TV box" no less! :D
Now if somebody from the broadcast industry will PLEASE work with SiliconDust on DRM, I can quit being so mean to the broadcasters in the AVS ATSC 3.0 forum.

bitemydust

Post by bitemydust »

nickk wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:32 pm Freecast is using HDHomeRun tuners for local channels.

My fear is that it's an aggregator. Which means ads!! Not sure I can deal with that for a service I'm paying for.

bitemydust

Post by bitemydust »

I'm jumping the gun here but looking at the Freecast service, it seems they are going to have a monthly fee. Wonder how that's going to play out with all the purchasers who don't have the DVR service. I have the $35 yearly DVR subscription and if that changes to a $4.99 monthly fee, I'm gonna be seriously peeved. Hopefully were given a chance to continue using the HDHomerun app. Although I must say the UI looks a lot better on the Freecast. I guess that's what we'll be paying for.

spencer777

Post by spencer777 »

nickk wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:32 pm Freecast is using HDHomeRun tuners for local channels.

Freecast? Very disappointed.

bandit8623

Post by bandit8623 »

spencer777 wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:45 pm

Freecast? Very disappointed.
shouldnt it be called chargecast? whats free about it?

rkkeller

Post by rkkeller »

I wanted to make sure I understand and don't buy this and it does not work for me. I use the newest 128Gb AppleTV device on my main TV with a ***** Quad, which does not support ATSC 3 and they will not even give a tentative date for one and refunded my preorder so not looking like it is coming anytime soon. :D

ATSC 3 is now in my area and I am curious to try it, but I have no idea if it will work or not with the Flex 4k ATSC 3 device.

Also I see people saying this is NextGen Certified but with no DRM support I am not sure I would even get my ATSC 3 channels with this right now?

Thanks a lot,

Rich

scottct1

Post by scottct1 »

Rich talk a look at rabbitears.info and see what the ATSC 3 lineup is in your area and you can also see which channels have DRM enabled.

Luckily at this point most of them do not.

scottct1

Post by scottct1 »

Rich talk a look at rabbitears.info and see what the ATSC 3 lineup is in your area and you can also see which channels have DRM enabled.

Luckily at this point most of them do not.

darcilicious

Post by darcilicious »

rkkeller wrote: Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:05 am ATSC 3 is now in my area and I am curious to try it, but I have no idea if it will work or not with the Flex 4k ATSC 3 device. Also I see people saying this is NextGen Certified but with no DRM support I am not sure I would even get my ATSC 3 channels with this right now?
Go here: https://rabbitears.info/market.php?request=atsc3
Find your city
Look for channels that are highlighted and with the padlock: you will NOT be able to view those channels with the Flex 4K currently.

Portland, OR for example: I can view and record 5 of the 7 ATSC 3.0 channels currently.