Speaker Configuration

Downloads & Instructions
nickk
Silicondust

Speaker Configuration

Post by nickk »

The Windows 10/11 app and the XBox app has a new Settings menu option "Speaker Configuration". This replaces the "Use AC3 passthrough when possible" option. Our apps on other platforms will get this option soon.

"Stereo Speakers" - for the TV built-in speakers or any configuration where you have 1-2 speakers. High quality mix to stereo.

"5.1 Surround Sound" - when using a home theater system or sound bar with 3 or more speakers. Stereo TV content is mixed to 5.1.

"Digital Passthrough" - AC3 passthrough to your AVR (and AC4 passthrough if supported). No local volume control, output will be 5.1 or stereo matching the source.

Pcporemba

Re: Speaker Configuration

Post by Pcporemba »

Is there a AVR that decodes AC4?

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Pcporemba wrote: Sat Nov 05, 2022 3:22 am Is there a AVR that decodes AC4?
Not sure, but Sony TVs, Fire TV Edition televisions, and some Android TV products do "AC4 passthrough" where they convert to AC3 for the AVR.

billmich

Post by billmich »

I was having issue with this earlier this week

when set the app to 5.1 and using the optical out of my PC, I was getting error message that I wasn't configured for surround sound, and that it was going to be stereo output.

That makes sense, because when I utilized the HDMI output and 5.1 setting the result was UNCOMPRESSED 5.1 "PCM" audio, .... looking back at the optical port, (which is how i want to connect my PC to my avr), optical cannot do uncompressed multi-channel, you need a lossy codec like dolby or dts for that to happen..

my question is, with digital passthrough, - what does "No local volume control" mean?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

When you pass through audio, it is just the bits thus no volume control on the device passing the audio it is up to the receiving device of those bits (such as the AVR or sound bar) to control the volume as it is that device that is processing the audio.

Williams

Post by Williams »

I am having problems getting audio and video with ATSC3 AC-4 channels when using the Windows app. I just get a blank screen on the channels with AC-4. I can tune into an ATSC3 mux that's using AAC audio.

My driver is the intel driver for my CPU which is an i5 dual core (Iris graphics). This driver (WSAPI) supports 1080p and Blu-ray passthrough formats (DTS-HD MA, Dolby TrueHD), and I have the PC connected by HDMI to a Yamaha RX-A1080 AVR which is 4k Dolby Atmos capable.

Not sure why i get a blank screen. Kodi and VLC will play ATS3 video but no audio on the AC-4 channels of course. My 10y old MacBook and newer iPhone and iPad play those channels just fine with audio.

I think it has something to do with the hardware driver. It would be great if someone could confirm and offer a solution.

foxbat121
Device ID: 10A57CFF

Post by foxbat121 »

Make sure your PC has internet connection or if you use 3rd party firewall. don't block the cloud transcoding of AC-4 built into the app. Most PCs can't handle AC-4 directly. Hence it needs to send AC-4 audio to SD's cloud transcoding server convert it back to 2-ch stereor audio for playback. If HDHR app on your PC can't reach the cloud transcoding server, you will get black screen instead.