Watching television under linux

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
NemoHic11

Watching television under linux

Post by NemoHic11 »

I've successfully built and installed hdhomerun_config_gui under Debian and opened the UDP ports that allow it to find the HDHomeRun tuner. I can connect fine and it locks to my available channels, but when I click the "View" button I get an error window that says "ERROR: unable to launch VLC" and the command terminal says "stream start failed". VLC is installed at "/usr/bin/vlc". Am I missing a configuration somewhere?

sailplanepilot

Re: Watching television under linux

Post by sailplanepilot »

I got it working by making a symbolic link in /usr/local/bin to /usr/bin/vlc. I'm using mint.

sudo ln -s /usr/bin/vlc /usr/local/bin/vlc

SpiceWare

Post by SpiceWare »

You don't need to use hdhomerun_config_gui to watch TV. I'm running Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS on my laptop. I do not have hdhomerun_config_gui on it, though I do have VLC.

After launching VLC you'll need to be in the Playlist view. If you're not then use the menu View -> Playlist, or press CONTROL-L

In the Playlist view you'll see a list on the side with categories (in bold) for:
  • Playlist
  • My Computer
  • Devices
  • Local Network
  • Internet
To watch TV:
  1. Click on Universal Plug'n'Play in the Local Network section to see your HDHomeRun tuner(s)
  2. Double click a tuner to see Favorites and Channels.
  3. Double click Channels to see list of channels
  4. Double click a channel to watch it.

sailplanepilot

Post by sailplanepilot »

For some reason, that wouldn't work for me. Kept getting a could not play error. However, there is another way to play directly from VLC. Click on Media - then Network Stream, and then paste the URL of the station,i.e. http://192.168.1.XX:5004/auto/v14.2 and click Play.

You can get the channel URL from your web interface channel listing. Not quite as nice as having them all listed as SpiceWare does, but it works.