Where are the instructions for setting up the box initially?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
cr8zycatlady

Where are the instructions for setting up the box initially?

Post by cr8zycatlady »

I am really angry.

I just got my 4k box hooked up and the URL on the instructions sent me to a page that just have "how to watch live tv or how to record" but NOTHING on the configuration of the box. I'm so PO'd I'm ready to return it. WTF? How do I get it on the network and get going? This device was HIGHLY recommended to me to integrate with my Plex server. I am positive I'm not alone. Please help!

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Where are the instructions for setting up the box initially?

Post by signcarver »

Those instructions will be at plex if that is your desire... the device is literally plug snd go, no setup other than connecting antenna/cable, ethernet, and power. It will even autoscan the channels (though the app may ask you to do such if it didnt complete such already by the time you get to the instructions you looked at). The ip address can only be obtained via dhcp though it will give itself a link local address.

What were you specifically looking for?

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Where are the instructions for setting up the box initially?

Post by NedS »

cr8zycatlady wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:25 am I am really angry.

I just got my 4k box hooked up and the URL on the instructions sent me to a page that just have "how to watch live tv or how to record" but NOTHING on the configuration of the box. I'm so PO'd I'm ready to return it. WTF? How do I get it on the network and get going? This device was HIGHLY recommended to me to integrate with my Plex server. I am positive I'm not alone. Please help!
If going the Plex route then everything will be done with the Plex software. They don't use our internal channel list or guide data, etc. So basically, you'll connect antenna, network, and power, then follow this: https://support.plex.tv/articles/225877347-live-tv-dvr/

The HDHomeRun is agnostic to the software being used, so in theory we can be supported by apps we've never heard about. Think of the HDHomeRun as a component in a larger system. We're like baking soda, and how one uses that will depend on the recipe.

That being said, we do try to make our own official viewing app/DVR easy to use and get set up, for those who are looking for the "default" use-case.