Austin area ATSC 3.0 screen tearing

ATSC 3.0 Forum
Jordar

Austin area ATSC 3.0 screen tearing

Post by Jordar »

Hi I have been using my HDHomeRun Connect 4k for almost two years now. I know 3.0 is still new and there are kinks to be worked out but I have never been very happy with my reception. I've never been sure if this is my setup (Antenna type and placement, etc.) or if the issue is with the broadcast or the Connect 4k itself. In particular I like to watch football and fútbol mostly and those tend to be on the local fox channel 107.1. For some reason the green of the fields makes the screen tearing particularly annoying as when there are artifacts in the video it seems like the entire field shows issues. I finally moved my antenna up into the attic and I got a ~15dB jump in Signal Strength but I'm still having the same issues. Anybody else have these same issues in the Austin area? I'm in North-Central Austin.

Here is a description of my setup:
Hardware: HDHR5-4k running fw 20221031
Antenna: ‎C2-V-CJM from Antennas Direct
Filter: LPF-608M from Silicon Dust
Amplifier: Not currently using any inline amplification as I have never found this makes a difference and in fact seems to negatively impact Symbol Quality.
Network: Normal settings, no VLAN etc. The only thing somewhat different is I use Netgear Powerline bricks throughout the house for a LAN over AC power. In this setup the Connect 4k is wired via the Powerline bricks into the TV so there is no wireless transmission.

HDHomeRun Config GUI info:
Physical Channel: atsc3.47300000->PLP1 qam256
Signal Strength: 82%
Signal Quality: 100% (This is locked at 100% constantly even when I notice screen tearing)
Symbol Quality: 100% (Again locked at 100%)
Network Rate: 2-4 Mbps (This fluctuates quite a bit depending on content but I think that makes sense)

Any help from folks in Austin or at large? :?:

nickk
Silicondust

Re: Austin area ATSC 3.0 screen tearing

Post by nickk »

Can you post a screenshot or cameraphone picture to help clarify?

Jordar

Post by Jordar »

Screenshots uploaded to:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

I see these artifacts roughly every 30 seconds. I see these on anything I stream to (my computer, phone, and TV)

Jordar

Post by Jordar »

UPDATE: I have been watching some World Cup broadcasts today on the same channel and it is has been flawless. No change in setup on my end. I have been having these issues for a long time so this is somewhat suspicious. Maybe somebody out there fiddled with something on the broadcast side?

I'll update again if there is a regression.

Jordar

Post by Jordar »

REGRESSION: The same Fox channel has been great for a few weeks but watching the World Cup again today the broadcast is showing the same issues as before. At this point I'm pretty confident this isn't an issue with my setup. Anybody else in Austin have these issues?

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Checking, what client device are you using?

Jordar

Post by Jordar »

I get the same exact issues with my windows pc, Android phone, shield tv, chromecast tv, and Android tv using the hd homerun apps