Unofficial HDHomeRun DVR repository for DEB based systems

Downloads & Instructions
Griffo

Re: Unofficial HDHomeRun DVR repository for DEB based systems

Post by Griffo »

Hi, i'm just installing this on a new Debian Buster system after accidentally killing my Wheezy install.

I get the following output, is this anything to be concerned about?

Get:1 http://ftp.au.debian.org/debian bullseye/main amd64 uuid-runtime amd64 2.36.1-8 [101 kB]
Get:2 https://unofficial-hdhomerun-dvr-repo.s ... ws.com/deb stable/non-free amd64 hdhomerun-record amd64 0.0.20211222beta1-1 [364 kB]
Fetched 465 kB in 2s (251 kB/s)
Selecting previously unselected package uuid-runtime.
(Reading database ... 35397 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../uuid-runtime_2.36.1-8_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking uuid-runtime (2.36.1-8) ...
Selecting previously unselected package hdhomerun-record.
Preparing to unpack .../hdhomerun-record_0.0.20211222beta1-1_amd64.deb ...
Unpacking hdhomerun-record (0.0.20211222beta1-1) ...
Setting up uuid-runtime (2.36.1-8) ...
Adding group `uuidd' (GID 119) ...
Done.
Warning: The home dir /run/uuidd you specified can't be accessed: No such file or directory
Adding system user `uuidd' (UID 114) ...
Adding new user `uuidd' (UID 114) with group `uuidd' ...
Not creating home directory `/run/uuidd'.
Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/sockets.target.wants/uuidd.socket → /lib/systemd/system/uuidd.socket.
uuidd.service is a disabled or a static unit, not starting it.
Setting up hdhomerun-record (0.0.20211222beta1-1) ...
Adding system user for HDHomeRun DVR
root@lusus:/etc/apt/sources.list.d#

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

Griffo wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:12 pm I get the following output, is this anything to be concerned about?
The package requires uuidgen (because the DVR requires a UUID in its internal conf file). At some point, apparently, it would appear debian uuidgen pulls in uuid-runtime (I am guessing this is a recent debian packaging thing). I am going to presume this is "normal". At some point I will try to test with a new debian install to see what it what, and to see if things can be improved, but if things are working, my first thought is "If it is working, don't worry".

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

gtb wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:59 pm The package requires uuidgen (because the DVR requires a UUID in its internal conf file).
To close this loop a bit....

In debian (and derivatives), the uuid-runtime package (which provides the uuidgen program) includes the installation of the uuidd daemon in order to generate secure and time unique uuids. While the use of uuidgen for the hdhomerun recorder does not require the security assurances of some other potential uses, that is the way debian builds their distribution so that other uses gain such benefits for their invocations. Since uuidgen (or the related libraries) is used for other applications, one will often find uuid-runtime installed previously, so one would not see it installed as part of the dependency resolution of the hdhomerun recorder. Minimal system installs are likely an exception to my experience that uuid-runtime is typically already installed.

Deihmos

Post by Deihmos »

Is there a way to obtain a previous copy of the DVR ? Ever since the last update Kodi has been crashing to homescreen.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

Deihmos wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:49 am Is there a way to obtain a previous copy of the DVR ? Ever since the last update Kodi has been crashing to homescreen.
The package manager (using things such as apt-cache showpkg ... to get the versions and apt-get install ...=version) supports installing specific versions of packages (you may also wish to pin the version). If you need help understanding the package manager of your distro you look to the distro documentation.

The unofficial repository for debian based systems has the various packages since (around) mid-2017.

Note that if the issue is an issue with the interaction of the latest DVR engine one should probably be opening bugs with the 3rd party app (Kodi).

RonRN18

Post by RonRN18 »

I have tried building HDHomeRun DVR several times on Ubuntu systems. I have added the unofficial repository seen in this thread and installed the DVR via this. I have set my record path, set the port number to 65001 and opened that port in my firewall. I am able to start and stop the service with "systemd" and when looking at the status of the service, I see no errors. If I go to my web browser and open up the DVR's IP:port, I am able to see the DVR is functioning and it says that the record location is where I have set it to and I see no errors and everything looks as expected.

Meanwhile, I've pulled up the HDHomeRun App on my Windows 11 laptop. I have set up a live program to record. I can pause and go back in time. The odd thing is that I cannot see any media file being recorded. If I look at the logs, the only thing that looks like it has failed is "event download failed". I am not sure what event this is being referred.

How is the file actually recorded? Is it saved as an MP4? MKV? Some other file format? Is the audio recorded as the original AC4 audio (I'm recording ATSC 3.0 channels) or is it the converted file format playable by other systems?

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

RonRN18 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:13 pm If I look at the logs, the only thing that looks like it has failed is "event download failed".
As I recall, that message usually means that the record engine is unable to communicate with SiliconDust's cloud based services properly. To try to check if your host has proper Internet access, issue the command:

Code: Select all

host record-api.hdhomerun.com
which should return a valid IP address (typically one IPv4 and one IPv6).  If it does not, you have something wrong in your DNS configuration, and will need to address that (could be your host, your gateway, your DNS server, or even your ISP). Once any issues with DNS are resolved, try:

wget https://record-api.hdhomerun.com
It is expected that you will get back an error (400 bad query) since it is an improper request, however if the request times out, or some other error occurs, your host is not able to communicate with the SiliconDust servers, and you need to address that (again, could be your host, gateway, etc,).

There are other possible errors, and you will likely need to post a more complete log for assistance (although it is not likely directly related to the package, so such a post might be more appropriate in the general topic area).

RonRN18

Post by RonRN18 »

gtb wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 7:08 pm
RonRN18 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:13 pm If I look at the logs, the only thing that looks like it has failed is "event download failed".
As I recall, that message usually means that the record engine is unable to communicate with SiliconDust's cloud based services properly. To try to check if your host has proper Internet access, issue the command:

host record-api.hdhomerun.com
which should return a valid IP address (typically one IPv4 and one IPv6).  If it does not, you have something wrong in your DNS configuration, and will need to address that (could be your host, your gateway, your DNS server, or even your ISP). Once any issues with DNS are resolved, try:

wget https://record-api.hdhomerun.com
It is expected that you will get back an error (400 bad query) since it is an improper request, however if the request times out, or some other error occurs, your host is not able to communicate with the SiliconDust servers, and you need to address that (again, could be your host, gateway, etc,).

There are other possible errors, and you will likely need to post a more complete log for assistance (although it is not likely directly related to the package, so such a post might be more appropriate in the general topic area).
"host record-api.hdhomerun.com" results in:

record-api.hdhomerun.com is an alias for device-api.silicondust.net.
device-api.silicondust.net has address 216.218.230.214
device-api.silicondust.net has IPv6 address 2602:fb1b:2::1:5f85

RonRN18

Post by RonRN18 »

I just realized something that may be the source to why I cannot record but I don't know how to rectify the issue. My HDHomeRun DVR is apparently not seen by either the Windows app, as well as with my several different Roku televisions. The tuners, the DVR, and the different receivers (and Windows laptop) are all on the same subnet. I do have a possible thought... my local network is 172.18.0.0/20, which means that my subnet includes addresses between 172.18.0.0-172.18.15.255. My tuners have addresses like 172.18.1.31, 172.18.1.32, 172.18.1.33, 172.18.1.34 and 172.18.1.35. The DVR happens to be running on a machine with a local address of 172.18.12.110. If for some reason the app has a built-in mask of 255.255.255.0 or /24 instead of my network's 255.255.240.0 or /20, that may be the issue.