Post by jasonl »

Open Terminal, run:

Code: Select all

sudo launchctl unload /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.silicondust.dvr.plist

calavera24

Re: Synology SPK for DVR Record Engine

Post by calavera24 »

Hello,

Installed hdhomerun_record_synology_20221106beta1.spk according to instructions. Everything worked fine.
DS218+ running DMR 711-42962 update 1, HDHomeRun app version 20221031 on my mac (OS 13.0.1).

I then tried to change the record path in hdhomerun.conf:

It is: RecordPath=/volume1/HDHomeRun/

I would like it to be: RecordPath=/volume1/video/HomeVideo/Recordings
in order to save recordings on the same partition used by Video Station, so that I can access recordings through my smart TVs.

Anyway, after editing the hdhomerun.conf, when I open the HDHomeRun.app on my Mac, the round button on the left does not appear, and in the Recordings panel I get the message:
"Your HDHomeRun DVR wasn't found"

Tried to stop and start the HDHomeRun package on the synology NAS, reboot the NAS, unplug and replug the HDHomeRunDUO device, and other magic voodoo stuff, but no luck.
What am I missing? it is possible to save recordings on a different partition/directory, or do I need to be forced to stay with the HDHomeRun partition?

Thanks to anybody who can help me solve this issue!

demonrik
Device ID: 108042A1, 10814D8E

Post by demonrik »

calavera24 wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 4:27 am Hello,

Installed hdhomerun_record_synology_20221106beta1.spk according to instructions. Everything worked fine.
DS218+ running DMR 711-42962 update 1, HDHomeRun app version 20221031 on my mac (OS 13.0.1).

in order to save recordings on the same partition used by Video Station, so that I can access recordings through my smart TVs.

Anyway, after editing the hdhomerun.conf, when I open the HDHomeRun.app on my Mac, the round button on the left does not appear, and in the Recordings panel I get the message:

Tried to stop and start the HDHomeRun package on the synology NAS, reboot the NAS, unplug and replug the HDHomeRunDUO device, and other magic voodoo stuff, but no luck.
What am I missing? it is possible to save recordings on a different partition/directory, or do I need to be forced to stay with the HDHomeRun partition?

You need to add the user 'HDHomeRun' with RW permissions to the share (probably 'video') that contains the RecordPath you need, then restart the record engine.
you should then see .log files appearing in the RecordPath folder

calavera24

Post by calavera24 »

[/quote]
You need to add the user 'HDHomeRun' with RW permissions to the share (probably 'video') that contains the RecordPath you need, then restart the record engine.
you should then see .log files appearing in the RecordPath folder
[/quote]

Thanks! Indeed that fixed the issue.
Actually, the HDHomeRun was already there, but for whatever reason, its access to video was not enabled!

SpiceWare

Post by SpiceWare »

I ended up pointing it to a new directory for new recordings, then copied over all the recordings from the initial directory. Took a few days. That finished on Friday, after which I copied over the new recordings, then uninstalled the DVR from my Mac. Surprisingly, the uninstall process did not delete the new recordings. I started this process a couple days before jasonl's reply with the launchctl command.

My Synology's been happily recording since. Only hiccup I've seen is my Mac will sometimes freeze when I skip ahead during playback, requiring me to quit the HDHomeRun client program, but it was doing that before so is not due to the Synology.
Last edited by SpiceWare on Tue Nov 15, 2022 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

calavera24

Post by calavera24 »

Same observation reported by SpiceWare: when skipping ahead, in some instances the application freezes on my mac. I had to quit and reopen. In my case too it was also happening with the previous version (HDHR-DVR 1.1.1_DSM7.spk) linked in the first post of this thread.

PS: did you move recordings using the macOS finder, from the old to the new partition? I copied my old recordings using the synology DSM file manager, and it took only few seconds (files moved from the old to the new partition)

SpiceWare

Post by SpiceWare »

calavera24 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:05 am did you move recordings using the macOS finder, from the old to the new partition? I copied my old recordings using the synology DSM file manager, and it took only few seconds (files moved from the old to the new partition)
I used Finder. I moved 12 TB of recordings from a Drobo 8D (Thunderbolt connected DAS) to my new Synology DS1821+ (Ethernet connected NAS). Since the files were on a different device I don't think using Synology's File Manager would have been any faster, though that's good info to know for in the future - thanks!

The 8D was plugged into my Mac mini that drove my TV. Besides DVR recordings it also held rips of my DVD and Blu-ray collection.

I also had an old Drobo 5D on my Mac Pro. I had an issue with the 5D that I was able to resolve, but decided to investigate what my options were as the company went bankrupt due to covid supply chain issues. Ended up getting a Synology to replace both the 5D and 8D.

Drobo's quite a bit faster due to the Thunderbolt connection, I clocked reading at 600 MB/s vs 100 MB/s via the Synology's gigabit ethernet connection. It's possible to upgrade the Synology to 10 gigabit, but none of my current hardware supports that. Had planned to replace my Mac Pro (2013) with a Mac Studio (which has 10 gigabit) but had to replace my AC/furnace so the new computer's been delayed until next year.

SeaLight

Post by SeaLight »

nickk wrote: Sun Nov 06, 2022 5:47 pm We have just released an official Silicondust package for Synology:
https://download.silicondust.com/hdhome ... y_beta.spk

Update steps:
1) Uninstall the old package.
2) Install the Silicondust package.
3) Copy recordings from the old share to the new HDHomeRun share.
4) Delete the old share.
Is there a post that explains the installation/setup process? The last thing I was able to record was in 2021 and I'm having a hard time updating the packages and being able to record shows. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Peterc

Post by Peterc »

Hello,
I just upgraded my Synology to DSM 7 from DSM 6 and installed the official Synology DVR package, and would like to update my RecordPath too.

But I can't seem to find the path for hdhomerun.conf

Do anyone know the path where the hdhomerun.conf file is located?

Thanks,
Peter

rikd
Silicondust

Post by rikd »

Peterc wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:22 am

Hello,
I just upgraded my Synology to DSM 7 from DSM 6 and installed the official Synology DVR package, and would like to update my RecordPath too.

Thanks,
Peter
conf file is located in share that is created when you install the SPK.
By default that is /volumeN/HDHomeRun where N is the volume number that Synology installs packages to (usually /volume1)

Peterc

Post by Peterc »

rikd wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:54 am
Peterc wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:22 am

Hello,

Thanks,
Peter
conf file is located in share that is created when you install the SPK.
By default that is /volumeN/HDHomeRun where N is the volume number that Synology installs packages to (usually /volume1)
I only have HDHomeRunDVR folder under /Volume1 and the contents of that folder are
drwxrwx--- 4 http http 4096 Dec 21 12:12 .
drwxr-xr-x 49 root root 4096 Dec 21 11:03 ..
-rw-rw-r-- 1 hdhomerundvr HDHomeRunDVR 2775 Dec 21 12:12 20231221.log
drwxrwxrwx 3 http http 4096 Dec 21 10:51 @eaDir
-rwxr-x--- 1 hdhomerundvr http 1645822 Dec 14 17:53 hdhomerun_record
drwxrwxrwx 2 hdhomerundvr__PKG_ users 4096 Sep 27 2021 'Live TV'

I do have a HDHomeRun folder in /volume1/@appstore and that folder has a bin and ui folder
in bin I only see
drwxrwxr-x 2 HDHomeRun HDHomeRun 4096 Dec 21 13:05 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 HDHomeRun HDHomeRun 4096 Dec 21 13:05 ..
-rwxrwxr-x 1 HDHomeRun HDHomeRun 613368 Dec 14 17:38 hdhomerun_record

rikd
Silicondust

Post by rikd »

Peterc wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:27 am I only have HDHomeRunDVR folder under /Volume1 and the contents of that folder are

I do have a HDHomeRun folder in /volume1/@appstore and that folder has a bin and ui folder
in bin I only see
ah - looks like you've a strange combination of things going on here.
hdhomerundvr user is from the unofficial SPK installation - this should have been deleted if you removed the SPK
Did you remove the unofficial SPK from the package center?

HDHomeRun user is from the official SPK installation
The fact that the HDHomeRun share didn't get created is worrying
can you check the 'Control Panel' -> 'Shared Folder' doesn't list it?!

Peterc

Post by Peterc »

Sorry for all the questions. I also tried uninstalling the official relase and installing the HDHomeRunDVR-1.1.1_DSM7.spk and modified the permissions for the tmp folder so that is working and I was able to change the record path to my original one which is a USBshare connected to the Synology for extra storage. But when starting this up, it only shows one recorded show folder with 2 recordings in it. I should have dozens of shows even that one folder that does show up alone should have 59 episodes of the show not 2.

Is there anyway to get the DVR to show all my recorded shows again?

I am fine to use either this 1.1.1 version or the official version as long as I can get all my previously recorded shows to show up and set the record path to this USBshare.

thanks in advance for all the guidance, love this app.

Peterc

Post by Peterc »

rikd wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 2:29 pm
Peterc wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:27 am I only have HDHomeRunDVR folder under /Volume1 and the contents of that folder are

in bin I only see
ah - looks like you've a strange combination of things going on here.
hdhomerundvr user is from the unofficial SPK installation - this should have been deleted if you removed the SPK
Did you remove the unofficial SPK from the package center?

HDHomeRun user is from the official SPK installation
The fact that the HDHomeRun share didn't get created is worrying
can you check the 'Control Panel' -> 'Shared Folder' doesn't list it?!
Looks like in 'Control Panel' -> 'Shared Folder' does have a HDHomeRun folder, but this looks like one I created myself with that name but is actually the USBShare, the path for this is actually /volumeUSB2/usbshare/

I upgraded DSM from 6 tp 7, and uninstalled the previous unofficial version I had running. Then I tried to just install the official version. It did change the hdhomerundvr userid to hdhomerundvr__PKG_

I've uninstalled the unofficial package again. Renamed my USBShare to HDHomeRun_USB and deleted the hdhomerundvr__PKG_ user.

Reinstalled the official version, and can see it now did create the new HDHomeRun share, and I was able to edit the hdhomerun.conf file. Looks like it does recognize my USBshare as the record path.

As I mentioned in another post, I wasnt see any of my previous recordings except for one folder with 2 episodes. I should have dozens of previously recorded shows, and even the one folder showing up only shows 2 episodes, when it should have 59. I had to change the permissions and open it up to all for every folder and file, and this seems to have resolved my issue and now I can see all my recordings.

One last issue now is that it appears the installation didn't create a HDHomeRun user that I can see in my user list in control panel, and when I try to create one I get an error - "The user name already exists or is reserved for system use only. Please enter a new a different one." Even without this username that I can see, permissions seem to be working OK, and the HDHomeRun app on my other devices can run the DVR fine, and new recordings are going to my USBShare. I can see that the new HDHomeRun share was created by HDHomeRun user. Is there anyway to get this user to show up in the control panel user list?

Thanks so much for all your help!

rikd
Silicondust

Post by rikd »

Peterc wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:27 pm My other issue is as I mentioned in another post, I don't see any of my previous recordings except for one folder with 2 episodes. I should have dozens of previously recorded shows, and even the one folder showing up only shows 2 episodes, when it should have 59. Is there anyway to get all my recordings to show back up in the App?
As long as you don't delete any shared folders then chances are the files are on the drives at least and it's just a matter of moving them and making them visible to both you and the record engine
I upgraded DSM from 6 tp 7, and uninstalled the previous unofficial version I had running. Then I tried to just install the official version. It did change the hdhomerundvr userid to hdhomerundvr__PKG_
Weird it renamed it like that!
But also could be why we can't see the previous recordings
Reinstalled the official version, and can see it now did create the new HDHomeRun share, and I was able to edit the hdhomerun.conf file. Looks like it does recognize my USBshare as the record path.
Good start
But I still have a couple of issues. I didn't create a HDHomeRun user, and when I try to create one I get an error - "The user name already exists or is reserved for system use only. Please enter a new a different one." Even without this username that I can see, permissions seem to be working OK, and the HDHomeRun app on my other devices can run the DVR fine, and recordings are going to my USBShare.
You don't need to create a new user with the Official SPK.
With the move to DSM the synology auto creates a user for the package - HDHomeRun
Looks like in 'Control Panel' -> 'Shared Folder' does have a HDHomeRun folder, but this looks like one I created myself with that name but is actually the USBShare, the path for this is actually /volumeUSB2/usbshare/
yeah - if you already have a share called 'HDHomeRun' the Synology won't create the requested one by the Package as it sees it exists.
problem here is, as you see, a share name and an actual folder location aren't necessarily the same thing. it is possible to create a share called HDHomeRun and point to /oblivion if you wanted to. This can cause issues because the SPK expects normal behavior of asking for HDHomeRun share to be created at /VolumeN/HDHomeRun where volumeN is where the Synology has been setup to write to a volume for apps.
And that can lead to permissions issues.
But it's working so lets not get side tracked..

For your older recordings
Are they in the record path you modified to?
Well - then we probably need to patch the permissions
Make sure you add the HDHomeRun user to the share in the shared folder settings
Open Control Panel -> Shared Folder
Select the shared folder
Select 'Edit'
Select the Permissions tab and make sure HDHomeRun and any other users you want have read/write access

If that doesn't make them available - you may need to SSH to the NAS and go to the folder and do a 'chown' to make the HDHomeRun user the owner of the files