Oct 5 notes

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
nickk
Silicondust

Oct 5 notes

Post by nickk »

Oct 5 Notes...

We found and fixed a UI bug causing channel changes to take longer - new UI release is out (20221004).

We found and fixed the problem causing the DVR record engine not to run correctly on Android - this will be released this week.

We are investigating an issue with MPEG2 DRM playback of some channels on Nvidia Shield.

Roku is getting some love - work has started on the Discovery screen.

The IPv6 multicast address [FF02::176] has been officially allocated for the HDHomeRun discovery protocol over IPv6:
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv6-mu ... -addresses

Nick

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11,1040501B

Re: Oct 5 notes

Post by kyl416 »

nickk wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:10 pm We are investigating an issue with MPEG2 DRM playback of some channels on Nvidia Shield.
I'm not sure if it's related, but the Nvidia Shield 9.1 upgrade that came out in June has a major bug where if external storage is connected (i.e. a USB stick), DRM playback stops working a few minutes after you reboot, it affects multiple apps like Netflix, Hulu, Prime Video, Peacock and Disney+:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/fo ... wn-issues/

They say the underlying issue is fixed in the latest Hotfix image, but switching to a Hotfix causes its own set of issues with DRM playback since those builds are not Google Play certified:
https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/fo ... fix-image/

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

kyl416 wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:53 pm I'm not sure if it's related, but the Nvidia Shield 9.1 upgrade that came out in June has a major bug...
I don't think it's related. I haven't installed that update on my Shield yet and I'm having the MPEG2 DRM playback issue.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

nickk wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:10 pm The IPv6 multicast address [FF02::176] has been officially allocated for the HDHomeRun discovery protocol over IPv6
IPv6 support is goodness.

Now a couple of questions about that.

Does that also mean that a tuner/record_engine/clients will now attempt to contact the SD cloud via IPv6 along with talking to each other via IPv6?

Will the tuners (etc.) support DHCPv6 assigned IPv6 addresses, or only SLAAC, or is this link-local only?

Will the devices support IPv6 DNS provided via DHCPv6 and/or router advertisements?

Will there be a way to disable IPv6 support (for "reasons" (I can't think of one at the moment, but I am sure there is someone who will be unhappy about using this over 25 year old protocol)).

Will there be any documentation on the updates to the returned responses to the various queries (right now the http discover response includes urls with the IP address, but now there could be potentially two urls, one IPv4 and one IPv6, so will there now be two items, or ???).

And thinking out loud, that may help with some customers behind CGNAT providers to properly associate devices/accounts, but, unfortunately, some of those providers also do not support IPv6, so, well, maybe not.

And, of course, is there any estimated calendar quarter as to when things will get rolled out that you are willing to share?

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

gtb wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:53 pm Does that also mean that a tuner/record_engine/clients will now attempt to contact the SD cloud via IPv6 along with talking to each other via IPv6?
Yes.
Clients will be able to talk to record engines and tuners using IPv6 (excluding Link-Local to begin with).
Record engines and tuners (gen5 and newer) will be able to talk to each other using IPv6 (including using Link-Local).
If you have IPv6 internet then everything will use IPv6 to access Silicondust guide servers.
gtb wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:53 pm Will the tuners (etc.) support DHCPv6 assigned IPv6 addresses, or only SLAAC, or is this link-local only?
Gen5 and newer tuners will be getting an upgrade with support for SLAAC and Link-Local. No DHCPv6 on first release.
gtb wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:53 pm Will the devices support IPv6 DNS provided via DHCPv6 and/or router advertisements?
IPv6 DNS will be supported.
gtb wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:53 pm Will there be a way to disable IPv6 support (for "reasons" (I can't think of one at the moment, but I am sure there is someone who will be unhappy about using this over 25 year old protocol)).
IPv6 will only be used when it works.
For client devices and record engines you can disable IPv6 on your PC/device.
HDHomeRun gen5 and newer hardware products will talk to each other using IPv6 Link-Local (if no SLAAC).
gtb wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:53 pm Will there be any documentation on the updates to the returned responses to the various queries (right now the http discover response includes urls with the IP address, but now there could be potentially two urls, one IPv4 and one IPv6, so will there now be two items, or ???).
No change to the APIs. URLs will be suitable for the IP that requested the json/xml.
gtb wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:53 pm And, of course, is there any estimated calendar quarter as to when things will get rolled out that you are willing to share?
Imminent for beta testers.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

nickk wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:07 pm
No change to the APIs. URLs will be suitable for the IP that requested the json/xml.
Works for the IP based requests (and is what I would expect), but what about the libhdhomerun low level udp discover protocol which has a response tag for baseurl (which may have multiple endpoints), and the cloud based response (not advised, but not (currently) blocked) for which the baseurl may be different for the tuner which has IPv6 connectivity vs. IPv4 than the apps? I would prefer that the clients be given *all* possible endpoints.

The devil is always in the (obscure) details.
Last edited by gtb on Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

nickk wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:07 pm Gen5 and newer tuners will be getting an upgrade with support for SLAAC and Link-Local. No DHCPv6 on first release.
Just to be clear, that means that the HDHR3-CC will NOT be getting this support?

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

nickk wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:07 pm IPv6 will only be used when it works.
And here is the issue of fallback. There are (for many reasons) cases where IPv6 does not work (customers choose to use/do the stupidest things). You cannot fall back to an IPv4 address if the IPv4 address is not provided, and if your device *thinks* IPv6 is available, and returns that in the baseurl, and it does not work, where is the fallback? For DNS one typically gets both an IPv4 and IPv6 address in the response (A and AAAA), and you try IPv6 first, and than fallback. But if you only get an IPv6 address there is no ability to fall back. You may find you need to be able to disable IPv6 "for reasons".

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

gtb wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:32 pm Works for the IP based requests (and is what I would expect), but what about the libhdhomerun low level udp discover protocol which has a response tag for baseurl (which may have multiple endpoints), and the cloud based response (not advised, but not (currently) blocked) for which the baseurl may be different for the tuner which has IPv6 connectivity vs. IPv4 than the apps? I would prefer that the clients be given *all* possible endpoints.
All requests are IP based including libhdhomerun.
URLs are formatted to match the requesting IP.

For example:
If you do a UDP discover from a 2xxx: address you will get back URLs with the device's 2xxx: address.
If you do a UDP discover from a FE8x: address you will get back URLs with the device's FE8x: address.
If you do a UDP discover from a 192.168 address you will get back URLs with the device's 192.168 address.
If you do a UDP discover from a 169.254 address you will get back URLs with the device's 169.254 address.
(the HDHomeRun has always worked this way for the last two)
gtb wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:39 pm And here is the issue of fallback. There are (for many reasons) cases where IPv6 does not work (customers choose to use/do the stupidest things). You cannot fall back to an IPv4 address if the IPv4 address is not provided, and if your device *thinks* IPv6 is available, and returns that in the baseurl, and it does not work, where is the fallback? For DNS one typically gets both an IPv4 and IPv6 address in the response (A and AAAA), and you try IPv6 first, and than fallback. But if you only get an IPv6 address there is no ability to fall back. You may find you need to be able to disable IPv6 "for reasons".
The only way to get an IPv6 URL from the HDHomeRun is via IPv6, therefore if you get an IPv6 URL it has already been established that there is an IPv6 pathway that works.

If an app can't handle Link-Local IPv6 because it can't track the scope id for example, the app simply doesn't attempt discovery using its Link-Local address.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

gtb wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:34 pm
nickk wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:07 pm Gen5 and newer tuners will be getting an upgrade with support for SLAAC and Link-Local. No DHCPv6 on first release.
Just to be clear, that means that the HDHR3-CC will NOT be getting this support?
Confirming,
HDHR5 (released 5 years ago) and newer devices will be getting IPv6 support.
HDHR3-CC (released 11 years ago) will not be getting IPv6 support (the OS used by the HDHR3-CC does not support IPv6).

emveepee

Post by emveepee »

I've reported to to SD and probably related to this change, this works.

curl -ipv4 -v http://ipv4-api.hdhomerun.com/discover

and this doesn't

curl -ipv6 http://ipv4-api.hdhomerun.com/discover

The JSON API is also does not return LocalIP which breaks pvr.hdhomerun and NexPVR if ipv6 is being used.

Martin

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

emveepee wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:09 pm I've reported to to SD and probably related to this change, this works.

curl -ipv4 -v http://ipv4-api.hdhomerun.com/discover

and this doesn't

curl -ipv6 http://ipv4-api.hdhomerun.com/discover

The JSON API is also does not return LocalIP which breaks pvr.hdhomerun and NexPVR if ipv6 is being used.
The cloud assisted discover API was deprecated a while back and will be removed completely at the end of 2022.
Note that it will likely be useless before then as HDHomeRun tuners upgrade to IPv6.

I am happy to provide assistance to anyone coding local discover.

Nick