Two SERVIOs - Mirrored Recordings Database?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
k5wls

Two SERVIOs - Mirrored Recordings Database?

Post by k5wls »

My family has been using two HDHomeRun CONNECT DUOs for about 5 years. We added a SERVIO a couple of years ago. The majority of our non-sports TV viewing is recorded because we are SERIOUSLY allergic to commercials. (I can't keep my train of thought on the track during 4 minutes of Medicare and drug commercials, over and over and over...)

My SERVIO is now on its way back to SiliconDust for repair after a "No Filesystem" fault. Our previously recorded content is probably lost forever and new episodes are not being recorded. I can add a second SERVIO for hardware fault tolerance. Is it possible to run a nightly rsync to mirror recorded data to an attached backup SERVIO?

What are the best practices for mitigating the loss of recorded content due to hardware failure with the SERVIO?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Two SERVIOs - Mirrored Recordings Database?

Post by signcarver »

Servio (currently) has no way to put files to it other than record... you would have to pop the drive and attach it to a system that supports xfs (i.e. linux).

If more than 1 servio (or any recording engine) is on the network, typically the one with the most space will record.

It sounds to me that you would probably be better off with a NAS, keep in mind servio came with 1 year of dvr service, and such is tied to servio but a NAS based engine can record if it detects the servio (or you have paid subscription).

k5wls

Post by k5wls »

signcarver wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:30 pm If more than 1 servio (or any recording engine) is on the network, typically the one with the most space will record.
With 2 servios... I can see how that might be true if you press record on a running program, but what happens when you go into Discover shows, select Law and Order, and record all episodes. Where is that task recorded? Servio 1 or servio 2? Are you saying that 2 servios would share a single task list? Otherwise. subsequent episodes would always be recorded on the servio that saved the task, without regard to available space.

I appreciate your response. Thanks.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Tasks are in the cloud thus sharing the same set of orders of what to record (based on tuners (and servio) registeted with your account). The engines can all see each other the same way they discover the tuners. The one with the most space wins the election of which one records.

The servio/dvr engine knows nothing about tasks until it checks with SD every hour or so or poked (such as after a recording gets scheduled) and then picks up what is supposed to record in the next 4 hours... getting these "orders" is based on the DeviceAuth's of all your devices concatenated together so when it checks in with SD the DeviceAuths of both servios and all your HDHomeRun tuning devices are used (note engines on computers/nas's don't have a DeviceAuth they are only handed out to SD's Hardware which negotiates such on power on and about every 8 hours after as a result access is granted to those by the hdhomerun hardware, and if dvr access is based on included year of servio that DeviceAuth is required for making rules and making recordings.

If you truly want "mirrored" recordings, you could get a smart switch that can prevents the 2 servios from seeing each other while both are able to see the same set of tuners but such will mirror all and client devices will report 2 recordings of each unless they also are prevented from seeing one.

What would be better would be a NAS and a script to retrieve the recorded_files.json then retrieve each of those and then back up anything off the servio then delete (through api) since this NAS would have more space if you truly wanted the servio to be what records you can configure an engine there to not record by adjusting its RecordStreamsMax setting to 0. However I prefer popping the drive out for this as 100Mbps is too slow for such in my opinion.

k5wls

Post by k5wls »

I appreciate your thorough explanation.

I had imagined (without reason) that cloud involvement was limited to DVR subscription authorization and on-going guide retrieval. I agree with your take on a possible solution but I'm also reminded of why I moved from a PC-based DVR to the servio: centralized simplicity.

Having said that, a second servio would've continued to record new episodes while the damaged unit is being repaired. also, over time the recordings would be more or less evenly split between the two units meaning only half of the recordings would be lost in a failure. So a second servio would have improved my current situation.