Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Kodi Community Development

Moderator: TVJunkie198

SageMyth

Re: Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client

Post by SageMyth »

djp952 wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:30 pm May I inquire as to why you needed the Recordings data to update more frequently? Kodi does not have many places where I might be able to inject something that would implicitly refresh the Recordings from the backend, and I admit refreshing Recordings is a lot more time consuming than it once was for the addon, but if I am able to understand the need there is always the possibility that I will find a new trick to play :)
At 3:15pm I watch a show that started recording at 3pm.
I finish watching it at about 4pm.
Then at 4:01pm I want to watch a show that started recording at 4pm.
But it does not appear in the recording list unless I restart Kodi or wait longer than I want to or use the method you indicated to refresh the list.

Another issue I found is that if I watch a show that is currently recording but stop watching in the middle, but before the recording has completed, the stop point is not saved.
When I return to the show the next day, playback starts at the beginning and not where I left off.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

SageMyth wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:49 am At 3:15pm I watch a show that started recording at 3pm.
But it does not appear in the recording list unless I restart Kodi or wait longer than I want to or use the method you indicated to refresh the list.
Go in the addon settings and enable "Trigger recording discovery immediately after playback". That updates the recordings list as soon as you stop playing something.
Another issue I found is that if I watch a show that is currently recording but stop watching in the middle, but before the recording has completed, the stop point is not saved.
When I return to the show the next day, playback starts at the beginning and not where I left off.
That's a Kodi issue. There has to be a certain percent of the program left that hasn't been watched before it will save your position. If you are too close to the end of the recording in progress it thinks you watched it and won't need to resume. You can change that percent in advancedsettings.xml.
More info here: https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_au ... ume_points

SageMyth

Post by SageMyth »

Ken.F wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 9:18 am
SageMyth wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 8:49 am At 3:15pm I watch a show that started recording at 3pm.
Go in the addon settings and enable "Trigger recording discovery immediately after playback". That updates the recordings list as soon as you stop playing something.
That's a Kodi issue. There has to be a certain percent of the program left that hasn't been watched before it will save your position. If you are too close to the end of the recording in progress it thinks you watched it and won't need to resume. You can change that percent in advancedsettings.xml.
More info here: https://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Modify_au ... ume_points
Thanks Ken.F
I am learning all kinds of things, one of which is that I need to take a closer look at the settings.

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 »

This is more of an "FYI" at the moment, but I am currently planning to provide only one more update to this project to get the third-party stuff up to date, but after that my intention is to abandon this and walk away from it. I have become "at odds" with Team Kodi and am no longer willing to try and support their efforts.

I will also deal with and support Kodi "Nexus" as best I can once Kodi figures out what that name means, but I don't think this will ever go beyond that Kodi baseline publicly. It's been a good run, right? SiliconDust's introduction of a Grid EPG in their app (thank you!) makes this effort no longer "worth it" to me. You are all free to follow the progress as you see fit, of course, but non-Windows builds/implementations are very likely to fall off this particular RADAR.

My mind is made up on this, please don't try to convince me otherwise. Team Kodi is free to take what we've done here over the past few years and do whatever they want with it.

Honestly, I just want to watch TV without feeling like I need to also fix that life goal at the same time.
Last edited by djp952 on Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

djp952 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:12 pm This is more of an "FYI" at the moment, but I am currently planning to provide only one more update to this project to get the third-party stuff up to date, but after that my intention is to abandon this and walk away from it. I have become "at odds" with Team Kodi and am no longer willing to try and support their efforts.
Thank you for everything you have done for us. I'm sad to see you walk away but I understand.

SageMyth

Post by SageMyth »

djp952 wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:12 pm This is more of an "FYI" at the moment, but I am currently planning to provide only one more update to this project to get the third-party stuff up to date, but after that my intention is to abandon this and walk away from it. I have become "at odds" with Team Kodi and am no longer willing to try and support their efforts.

Honestly, I just want to watch TV without feeling like I need to also fix that life goal at the same time.
Thank you for all the work you have done to provide this Add-On for us simple users.
It is a great accomplishment!
All things must come to an end and I understand your decision.
Thanks again.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

Thanks for the well wishes! And don't worry, if something truly egregious breaks I'd have to fix it to keep my TV world intact too, and that would absolutely be made public. Anything I need to do will always be shared you guys/gals unless/until there comes a time where I decide to also abandon this for personal use :)

It has legitimately been a pretty darn good run, right? I am extremely proud of what we've collectively accomplished in the past five and a half years. Together we were able to shoehorn into Kodi a completely new and very non-traditional type of DVR/PVR ecosystem in early 2017 and it still works great in late 2022 (A now required Kodi "Nexus" update not withstanding).

As a "career" guy, this project started out as an exploratory project, grew into a personal project when Microsoft abandoned MCE, and when it worked, Kodi was not in a position to accept that and deal with the changes required. I think we've gotten Kodi to accept and deal with a lot of the pain points that we needed to be fixed, and that's GREAT!

My decision to (semi) abandon this project was extremely painful to make, but Team Kodi is just too hard to work with and I can't fit that fight into my life anymore. They are a bunch of negative and adversarial people that have a need to exert control over others to the detriment of the author's vision (probably all ADHD types?).

I sincerely hope that this ecosystem will "live on" in Kodi after I'm all the way gone, but I must also point out that SD added a Grid Guide to their application? To me that was a very important topic that led users to Kodi in the past. SD's app can't handle local Video playback like ripped Blu-Rays on a NAS or games or generic videos like Kodi can, but the outlook is legit hopeful?

I intentionally use the "MIT" license for a reason -- Team Kodi or anyone else is free to use anything I happen to have made.

CockneyBoy

Post by CockneyBoy »

djp952 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:51 pm
My decision to (semi) abandon this project was extremely painful to make, but Team Kodi is just too hard to work with and I can't fit that fight into my life anymore. They are a bunch of negative and adversarial people that have a need to exert control over others to the detriment of the author's vision (probably all ADHD types?).
I have only just read the news. Pity it went this way.
I have had a strong connection to the Open Source Scene for a long time and can well guess the problematic you have endured.
A saying in German (roughly translated) says, “Better an end with terror than terror without end”.

You can be extremely proud on what you have created, but even more for the ongoing effort ensuring that “we” are all kept happy.
So thank you very much, especially for the work you put into my problems some months ago.
This stable app is one of the best I currently use.

Does “(semi) abandon" mean that this thread will remain open?
My question is a little selfish, I am approaching 80 faster than I like and my requirement to be able to record TV broadcasts increases at the same speed.
Again thanks and all the best for the future.
John

djp952

Post by djp952 »

I don't see any reason to close the thread, still need to fix bugs if they come up, right? I do still need to maintain this for myself until/unless Kodi brings the functionality into Kodi itself, too. Just nothing that would require changes to Kodi itself to implement.

FYI: I'm updating the addon for Nexus Alpha 3 tonight, for those still waiting. Been a long week :) Still have a handful of dependency updates to rebuild and test as well, including libhdhomerun.

DornoDios
Device ID: 107C3D26

Post by DornoDios »

I'm sorry to hear the news that you are no longer able to support this project. I'm sure there are many other fulfilling uses for your time.

I actually came to visit this thread because of a possible bug.

If I resume a recorded OTA program from a resume point I can't rewind prior to the point I resume from, unless I stop playback and then begin playback from the beginning. After which point I can access everything normally. When resuming as long as I go forward from the resume point I can also access everything normally.

This only occurs with programs that are recorded OTA and saved via DVR.

I checked the HDHomeRun App that I have installed in Windows 10 and the same issue does not exist there. The HDHomeRun Android App installed on my Shield TV does not have the issue either.

It happens in Kodi on my Fire TV and Shield TV when playing back OTA recordings via Kodi 19.3 ONLY if trying to rewind back prior to the 'resume point'.

Can anyone try to playback an OTA recording from a resume point and then try to rewind prior to the resume point and see if they have an issue or not?

Thank you for all of the work and time you put into the project Mr. Brehm.
Last edited by DornoDios on Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

DornoDios wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 5:25 pm If I resume a recorded OTA program from a resume point I can't rewind prior to the point I resume from, unless I stop playback and then begin playback from the beginning. After which point I can access everything normally. When resuming as long as I go forward from the resume point I can also access everything normally.
Hi! I should be able to duplicate that and get you an answer. Definitely sounds like a bug, but I don't recall ever running into this on my end, pretty sure my kid does that all the time :)

If I can't duplicate it, are you willing to upload a recorded file for me, provided I give you a place to put it? They are kind of huge files, I don't want to assume that wouldn't be an "ask". This gives me a reason to actually finish updating the dependencies and update for Nexus, too.

I did clarify that the project isn't "dead" necessarily, I'm just putting it on auto-pilot. Bugs are bugs and need to be fixed. I need to use this software too :) I redrew the line at "nothing that would require me to request changes to Kodi", which pretty much prevents new features as well. "Spend as little time worrying about this project as humanly possible" is likely a better way to describe where I'm at.

DornoDios

Post by DornoDios »

I can definitely upload files if you need them. Preferably before the end of the month as I have a ton of quota right now.

I don't think it's related to the files themselves because I have some that are quite old and were recorded using a different recording engine. Some from way back when I was using the synology.apk and they show the same issues.

I think it's probably just a really obscure bug that I only encountered because I wanted to go back and watch part of the Tennessee v Alabama game from a week ago so I could revel in the loser's misery. I needed something to take my mind off the status of my favorite NFL team.

I have too much time on my hands. If I were a 'normal' person I'd just ignore this and use the workaround.

Also, thanks for the clarification. I must have missed it when I skimmed things. I'm glad to hear that.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

DornoDios, was this a fully recorded program that you were trying to resume or one that was still in progress? I haven't been able to duplicate the concern, per-se. I did see some funkiness with the Kodi seek bar at times, the right side was blue and the left side was gray (odd), but in all instances I've been able to seek anywhere I want to.

What's weird to me is that the way Kodi works, what it's doing is asking the PVR to open the recording and then it executes a seek to the point where it wants to go, it's not really "jumping in" at the resume point, there should be nothing to prevent it from going all the way back to zero.

That said, maybe there is something funky about the PTS/DTS information in the stream that is tripping up Kodi/ffmpeg, so I'll go ahead and PM you a link to a OneDrive folder you can use to upload the file; I can load it on my DVR and see if I can duplicate the behavior. I'm worried about your "This only occurs with programs that are recorded OTA" statement, all my stuff is Cable these days.

Also, as a more general comment for everyone, I've had to kill Universal Windows (XBox) for Leia, the necessary tools for that platform are no long available in Visual Studio 2022. Everything else seems to be building. I also have to lock the libxml2 dependency at v2.9.13 since newer versions won't build anymore without a move to a newer Ubuntu, which would kill GCC 4.9. Maybe the project will die of build environment attrition on its own - LOL.

DornoDios

Post by DornoDios »

The only things I record are OTA. It seems to effect every single file that I have. I'll confirm a shorter/smaller one that I can upload to you overnight.

I'm wondering if it may possibly be the unofficial docker container record engine. I updated to it maybe a month ago or so. The original docker container I was using from the same person is no longer available as it didn't have a version number and so can not be pulled from the repo. Otherwise I'd just revert to it and see what happens.

djp952

Post by djp952 »

I have the file(s) you sent; I will do my best to prioritize analyzing them for you as time allows and see if there is a reasonable solution here, my friend :)

I am very sorry you are having this problem; I wish I knew about it sooner, but I do hope I can fix it for you.