ATSC 3.0 in Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo

ATSC 3.0 Forum
hdhruser

ATSC 3.0 in Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo

Post by hdhruser »

It appears that the ATSC 3.0 signals in the Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo market are coming off of two low-powered channels, one in Grand Rapids and the other nearer to Kalamazoo. The first signal is WWMT (CBS) and for some reason that is the only one of the five ATSC 3.0 channels that the HDHR knows about that actually can be received (kind of in a fringe reception area). Even that one doesn't always come in perfectly, but the real problem is the audio. As far as I can tell, although the HDHomeRun app returns two channels of audio, it is not a stereo signal, it is just dual channel mono. And the left channel seems a bit higher in volume than the right channel, but there is no real separation between left and right. Is this a problem with the way the station is sending the audio, or do you have any way to tell? And why would a HDHomeRun Flex 4K user see five channels on that transmitter but only be able to receive the first one?

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11,1040501B

Re: ATSC 3.0 in Grand Rapids/Kalamazoo

Post by kyl416 »

hdhruser wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:42 pmAnd why would a HDHomeRun Flex 4K user see five channels on that transmitter but only be able to receive the first one?
ATSC 3.0 signals can have multiple PLP layers with different modulation settings. The QAM16 layer is the easiest to receive in fringe areas but only has limited bandwidth, so most stations can only fit 1 or 2 channels on it, and everything else has to go on the higher bandwidth QAM256 layer which has a coverage area similar to the former ATSC 1.0 signal of the station that converted.

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl »

If you tune the channel in HDHomeRun Config GUI on a Windows PC it will show you the PLP information. The exact configuration varies from station to station, but most have one easy to receive PLP that is intended for mobile use (usually QPSK or QAM16), and then 1-2 others that require better reception (QAM64 or QAM256). The 2 broadcasts appear to be from a tower off I-96 in the NW part of Grand Rapids, and from WOOD's tower near Middleville. Grand Rapids should have excellent coverage between the two, but the southern part of the market (Kalamazoo, Battle Creek, etc.) not so much, probably requiring being in one of the higher elevation areas and having a rooftop antenna.

JDazell

Post by JDazell »

Where exactly is the PLP information in the Config GUI display? I do not see it.Image
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y7XdP_ ... sp=sharing

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Post by ebo »

JDazell wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:25 am Where exactly is the PLP information in the Config GUI display? I do not see it.Image
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y7XdP_ ... sp=sharing
That image shows WTVG, which is not an ATSC 3.0 channel (8vsb and virtual channel 13.1, not 113.1). Looking up WTVG on RabbitEars I saw no ATSC 3.0 stations listed in that area (Toledo OH).

JDazell

Post by JDazell »

You are correct, there are none in Toledo yet. But I was expecting to see the field there even though there are no ATSC3 channels. Just hopeful for consistency across platforms.
I did not realize that the fields were ASTC3 only. That info was needed.
Last edited by JDazell on Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JDazell

Post by JDazell »

So I tuned a Detroit Channel. Found the fields. Pic below.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QAezk- ... sp=sharing