Flex 4K No Internet

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
eHarrison

Flex 4K No Internet

Post by eHarrison »

Just wondering why would I not be able to watch OTA TV through the HomeRun App when I lose internet? I was able to watch TV if I used the links to the channels in the HDHomeRun Setup.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Flex 4K No Internet

Post by signcarver »

The hdhomerun app requires internet access as the ui has to be retrieved from the cloud. (Very, very, very) Long ago they didn't require such but then people weren't getting the changes in updates so they made the switch to always load current (though your client device might have cached such, it still needs to check).

atscme

Post by atscme »

This is unacceptable. The reason I have an antenna is so I can watch TV without an internet connection. I sense a huge loss of cord cutter business (yes, internet is just another cord) for Silicon Dust.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

You can watch TV using the HDHomeRun FLEX 4K without internet using your TV's built in DLNA app.

Nick

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

atscme wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:29 am This is unacceptable. The reason I have an antenna is so I can watch TV without an internet connection. I sense a huge loss of cord cutter business (yes, internet is just another cord) for Silicon Dust.
The official HDHomeRun app requires internet. The HDHomeRun hardware does not require internet, and was made from the ground up to be easily supported by other software and even options that are normally built-in, such as DLNA and UPnP A/V. Originally the HDHomeRun was meant to be used with someone else's software, like Myth TV, Windows Media Center, Plex, etc.. The HDHomeRun app was designed around our DVR service, first and foremost, and that requires internet access.

That being said, we do plan on adding support for some kind of offline mode for that official app, but we don't have a firm timeframe for when that might be implemented. Until then, many other options exist, such as built-in DLNA players in some TVs and network players, free software such as VLC, and various others.

atscme

Post by atscme »

Thanks for the response. I understand there may be no guide without internet, but it should be possible to watch channels without internet. When a lunatic bucket truck drove through my neighborhood with the bucket raised we were without our fiber connection for an entire week. That's when I decided to get the antenna and Flex 4k. I enjoy our local Nextgen channels and have to move the antenna connection to the TV when the WAN goes down, losing the 4k signal and OTA TV over my WiFi.

atscme

Post by atscme »

VLC Player works perfectly without internet, with the exception of no sound on ATSC 3.0. Thats ok, thanks.

ronj
Device ID: 10A47292

Post by ronj »

NedS wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:54 pm That being said, we do plan on adding support for some kind of offline mode for that official app, but we don't have a firm timeframe for when that might be implemented.
This is the third post this week identifying this problem. Mine is here - viewtopic.php?t=77298 so I’m super glad to hear that it’s on the backlog and that you plan on implementing it.