HDHomeRun app for Samsung TVs (sideload)

Help and support for HDHomeRun DVR and HDHomeRun software for Windows 10, Mac, Android, XBox, etc.
signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: HDHomeRun app for Samsung TVs (sideload)

Post by signcarver »

I believe for the frame it is 12345 make sure such is done quickly and that your account for the tv matches the developer account.and that you are in apps.when you do it.

skinny1962

Post by skinny1962 »

Any idea on the time frame for when this Samsung TV app will be available in the app store?

Thank you,

Rick

alireza

Post by alireza »

I installed the application on the Samsung TV QN90A but switching between channels takes 25 seconds!

I wish you could share the source code to see if there is room for improvement. I guess the application is using Samsung player to connect to DLNA server and it is slow!

titantractor271

Post by titantractor271 »

Very cool. I will try it soon!

alireza

Post by alireza »

nickk could you share the source code for the samsung app with me?

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

alireza wrote: Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:05 am nickk could you share the source code for the samsung app with me?
The source code is the UI only (HTML/JS). Playing content is handled by the Samsung built in video player which handles buffering internally.

Nick

alireza

Post by alireza »

Nick, I heard of some open source player that can be used instead of the Samsung player. It might be faster to use those. Do you mind the share the source code (html and js). I could take a peak and see if I can improve anything!
Here is a list of other players:
https://ottverse.com/best-html5-video-p ... -and-paid/

Ant89

Post by Ant89 »

Does anyone have another youtube video guide or written guide on how to install this please? The video doesn't seem to be working anymore.

alireza

Post by alireza »

You need to install the tizen-studio and connect it your tv. Then you run the following command:
./tizen install -n hdhomerun_view_tizen_20220204.wgt

skinny1962

Post by skinny1962 »

Any updates on the Samsung TV app for HDHomerun? I have a Flex 4K ATSC 3.0 NextGen TV Tuner and it'd be nice to use it on my Samsung TV.

nate12387

Post by nate12387 »

Ok so this isn't as straight forward as I thought. This is what I did in order to at least get the app imported on Tizen Studio. First I had to download the Tizen Studio application. Then I had to go to Package Manage and I downloaded everything except the Mobile and Wearable options. (I'm not how much of that is required) Then go to remote device manager and add the TV. This will involve making sure the TV is on the same network and maybe even knowing the IP Address on the TV. After that I finally figured out how to import the file into Tizen Studio and got it in project explorer. I had to go to File -> Import -> Tizen -> Tizen Project -> Archive file. From there I was able to browse and find the file that is on the website. I did have to change the version number in order to get it to import. When I tried to run the file it gave a certificate error. I then had to create a certificate. At this point I am stuck. When I click on run as Tizen web application I get a "Tizen Web Application failed. Please try again later." Not sure what I am doing wrong unless the software/firmware on the TV is just incompatible with the app. The Samsung Model I have is a QN65Q60TAFXZA.

Also is there any sort of timeline as to when this will be available and for what models of Samsung TV? Right now I am using a fire stick to view HDHomeRun and Would love to get rid of it if I can just view it on the Samsung.

Thanks.

Edit: I was finally able to get the app on the TV. I had to double click on the config.xml file, go to the tizen tab, and change the required version to 5.5. However even though I have it on the TV it still won't work. When I try to run it, It says that it cannot find hdhomerun devices and remote device discovery and upnp not supported. I don't really understand how that is since the tv is funding other devices on the network just fine.
Last edited by nate12387 on Sat Jun 04, 2022 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

xray7658

Post by xray7658 »

Is there another link to sideload the HD HomeRun app for Samsung? This would be a dream to get working if it's possible.

hfog22

Post by hfog22 »

Managed to get the sideload working on my Samsung UE43AU9000 with Tizen Studio and a bit of playing around, the app runs well.

It picks up my UK Connect Quatro, the Channel selection does not seem to be too slow, and all SD channels work great.

I do not get any audio on the HD channels, I assume this is a Codec issue with the Samsung TV, but surprised it is not supported on a 2021 TV model...

aaronc1976

Post by aaronc1976 »

nate12387 wrote: Sun May 29, 2022 6:56 am Ok so this isn't as straight forward as I thought. This is what I did in order to at least get the app imported on Tizen Studio. First I had to download the Tizen Studio application. Then I had to go to Package Manage and I downloaded everything except the Mobile and Wearable options. (I'm not how much of that is required) Then go to remote device manager and add the TV. This will involve making sure the TV is on the same network and maybe even knowing the IP Address on the TV. After that I finally figured out how to import the file into Tizen Studio and got it in project explorer. I had to go to File -> Import -> Tizen -> Tizen Project -> Archive file. From there I was able to browse and find the file that is on the website. I did have to change the version number in order to get it to import. When I tried to run the file it gave a certificate error. I then had to create a certificate. At this point I am stuck. When I click on run as Tizen web application I get a "Tizen Web Application failed. Please try again later." Not sure what I am doing wrong unless the software/firmware on the TV is just incompatible with the app. The Samsung Model I have is a QN65Q60TAFXZA.

Also is there any sort of timeline as to when this will be available and for what models of Samsung TV? Right now I am using a fire stick to view HDHomeRun and Would love to get rid of it if I can just view it on the Samsung.

Thanks.

Edit: I was finally able to get the app on the TV. I had to double click on the config.xml file, go to the tizen tab, and change the required version to 5.5. However even though I have it on the TV it still won't work. When I try to run it, It says that it cannot find hdhomerun devices and remote device discovery and upnp not supported. I don't really understand how that is since the tv is funding other devices on the network just fine.
Did you ever figure out a workaround? I was also able to get app installed but it won't run with the same error codes as you. I have the same model TV and I know it supports upnp because it recognizes my Plex Server and the HDHomerun DMS.

pjm

Post by pjm »

I finally managed to get the app loaded, despite the missing video from post 1, with some other hints and tips in the thread, and some guesses about other missing details!

For others going down this path, probably at least you need to know to

1) create a "Samsung" certificate not a "Tizen" certificate in VS2019 which will get uploaded to your personal Samsung account as part of the process.
2) You don't need to import/extract any app/code into VS2019 or create any projects, just use the command line below.
3) the command to install the app (tizen install -n hdhomerun_view_tizen_20220204.wgt) is run from a Developer PowerShell command line, that you can open directly from the Tools/Command Line drop down menu in VS2019
4) I used the Samsung Smarthings phone app to enter things like the developer 12345 keyboard code in the TV's app menu
5) The "Tools" menu in VS2019 is your friend, most of what you need to do is initiated from there.

I have a Samsung the Serif 2022 TV model QA55LS01BBWXXY and it had already detected the HD Homerun Tuners on the network and I could stream from them in a primitive mode in the "connected devices" menu, directly with no other app/software. It already runs tv-6.5, which you can see after you have connected the TV in the device manager menu of VS2019, so no need to edit XML files.

The good is that I can view the Tuners in the HDHomerun app, and watch TV, most channels load in under 5 seconds, some take a little longer..

The bad is that the app detects my HDHomerun Servio but can not connect to it. It doesn't even detect my Windows HDHomerun RECORD server. The upshot of which is I cannot record or playback recordings on the Samsung app/TV.

This is what the app on the Samsung TV sees:

This is what the rest of my HDHomerun apps (on Windows, android, FireTV, Nvidia Shield etc) see, and can record/playback:

So, I guess the questions to be asked are

1) Is the app going to be updated/supported and enhanced in the future
2) Will the recording/playback be implemented in the future
3) When (if ever) is it going to be available from Samsung app store and/or to be either pre-loaded or installable by consumers on the Samsung TV.