HD Homerun Flex - NBC very choppy

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
appendixman33

HD Homerun Flex - NBC very choppy

Post by appendixman33 »

Hey everyone!

Our main set up is with a TiVo Vox Cable/Antenna and we have a Televes DiNova Mix antenna. Signal is great! The coax is in a weird spot in my office, so I got a HDHome Run Flex so i could use Plex or the HD app to watch broadcast signals.
I tried tonight to watch football and the NBC signal was really choppy through Plex. Had no issues with the TiVo or any other tv - just the HD Homerun. All other channels seemed okay but NBC. Switched to the HD Homerun app seemed to be better but chopped in a few places. I also tested with the VLC app as well - this is all on an Apple TV 4K 2021 model.

Here is a copy of the rabbit ears report…any suggestions about this? Just odd it only happens with the HDHome Run.
https://www.rabbitears.info/searchmap.p ... PqxzfHY01c

NedS
Silicondust

Re: HD Homerun Flex - NBC very choppy

Post by NedS »

We would like to get some diagnostic data:
  1. Please go to http://hdhomerun.local
  2. If it tells you that a firmware update is available, please install it
  3. Click System Status
  4. Check the Send diagnostic information box
  5. Go back one page
  6. Click Channel Lineup
  7. Click on Detect Channels

Reply back to this post and provide us the device ID of your HDHomeRun and we will check the logs. You can find the device ID on a label on the bottom of the HDHomeRun itself.

appendixman33

Post by appendixman33 »

Hey Ned

Followed those steps and my Device ID is 109190F4. Updated the firmware and re-did a channel scan.

Thanks again for your help with this!

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Signal levels look good for KXAS. Can you try watching something, and when you see it get choppy, reply back with the approximate time it was choppy? The logging will still be on and it should hopefully capture some additional data.

appendixman33

Post by appendixman33 »

Sure thing. I’ve heard Plex is just not very nice at times with the HDHR so I’ll test it again when another game is on and report back. Thank you!

jasonl
Silicondust

Post by jasonl »

The biggest problem you're likely to see on KXAS is that if you're using something with an older NVIDIA GPU (PC with 1000 series or older, or the Shield), the video will be glitchy on high motion scenes, like when they do logo wipes on football games when coming out of replays.

appendixman33

Post by appendixman33 »

Thanks for the suggestion! I saw this on an Apple TV 4K 2021 so nothing like that. I tried later that night on the VLC app and didn't have any playback issues...I don't know if my network was just being weird or what the issue is. Next game that is on I will test again and see :D