Basic Question Regarding HDHR Flex 4K

ATSC 3.0 Forum
RickD_99

Basic Question Regarding HDHR Flex 4K

Post by RickD_99 »

Greetings all noob here who has the HDHR Flex 4K on the way from Amazon. A couple of my local stations here in my Birmingham Alabama DMA are commencing ATSC 3.0 transmissions today and tomorrow and I wanted to check them out in their early days.

Since the Flex 4K device is network based in design I presume it converts OTA broadcast transport streams to IP packets correct? If so does this conversion process alter or degrade the received OTA signal at all? I plan on using the Flex 4K with the iOS app on my Apple TV 4K box. Should I expect to see the same picture quality of an ATSC 3.0 broadcast on my Apple TV 4K as I would expect to see if the Flex 4K had a direct HDMI connection to my TV?

nickk
Silicondust

Re: Basic Question Regarding HDHR Flex 4K

Post by nickk »

RickD_99 wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:45 am Since the Flex 4K device is network based in design I presume it converts OTA broadcast transport streams to IP packets correct? If so does this conversion process alter or degrade the received OTA signal at all? I plan on using the Flex 4K with the iOS app on my Apple TV 4K box. Should I expect to see the same picture quality of an ATSC 3.0 broadcast on my Apple TV 4K as I would expect to see if the Flex 4K had a direct HDMI connection to my TV?
The HDHomeRun FLEX 4K passes the HEVC encoded video through unmodified - there is no loss in quality.

Nick