DRM Support?

ATSC 3.0 Forum
nickk
Silicondust

Re: DRM Support?

Post by nickk »

We are working towards both live buffering and recording of protected content.

tzr916

Post by tzr916 »

nickk wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:36 pm We are working towards both live buffering and recording of protected content.
Are third party apps going to be SOL for ATSC 3.0 when stations go DRM? Are ATSC 3.0 "protected content" channels the same as copy once flagged channels like HBO?

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

tzr916 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:53 pm Are third party apps going to be SOL for ATSC 3.0 when stations go DRM?
For content that is marked with copy protection requirements (and not all content will be so marked), 3rd party apps that do not implement the required protected content path will not be able to be certified in order to be able to obtain the required certs to decode the content. Given the certification requirements/costs, one should expect only "commercial" solutions (which have some mechanism to recoup the investments for engineering and certification and ongoing support costs) to implement such. Other than the TV manufacturers themselves, SiliconDust has a bit of a head start since they have long experience with the protected path requirements they have implemented for CableCARDs.

Are ATSC 3.0 "protected content" channels the same as copy once flagged channels like HBO?
There are some (and a few important) differences, but unless you want to go into the deep details, consider it equivalent, in that not only is the content transported protected, but it must be stored protected, and rendered inside a protected path.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

nickk wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:36 pm We are working towards both live buffering and recording of protected content.
Ok, I'll ask the impertinent question, of whether recording protected content for ATSC 3.0 will happen before or after the promised recording of protected content for CableCARD users?

I, personally, no longer care (none of the content I am authorized to view is marked with any protection requirements), but I am sure there are those that do.

cncb

Post by cncb »

tzr916 wrote: Sun May 01, 2022 1:53 pm
Are third party apps going to be SOL for ATSC 3.0 when stations go DRM? Are ATSC 3.0 "protected content" channels the same as copy once flagged channels like HBO?
This was one of my questions too. Will we only be able to watch DRM recordings in the HDHR app?

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

If a third party app supports DTCP-IP then it should work.

cncb

Post by cncb »

With my limited searching it appears that the small third-party apps like Kodi, Emby, and Channels DVR do not/can not support this expensive certification so it looks like DRM recordings will be tied to the HDHR app.

thinmint99

Post by thinmint99 »

Am I missing something? I don't see any formal press release indicating imminent adoption of Digital Rights Management other than pieces referencing Tablo's product delay announcement on the 15th of April.

https://www.xda-developers.com/tablo-4k ... -atsc-3-0/

The linked article at the beginning of this thread references a partnership with Digital Radio Mondaile on the 13th of April, which - as far as I can tell - has nothing to do with Digital Rights Management.

https://www.drm.org/drm-framework-to-be ... -platform/

What is going on here?

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Post by kyl416 »

thinmint99 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:05 pmThe linked article at the beginning of this thread references a partnership with Digital Radio Mondaile on the 13th of April, which - as far as I can tell - has nothing to do with Digital Rights Management.

https://www.drm.org/drm-framework-to-be ... -platform/
You're right, and since Digital Radio Mondiale's website doesn't bother to put a year on their articles, that collaboration announcement is actually from April 2021. It was about Sinclair using Digital Radio Mondiale's technology and Fraunhofer's xHE-AAC codec as part of their plan to test digital audio services on some of their ATSC 3.0 signals like KUNS in Seattle. However several months later they ended up selling their radio division to Lotus Communications, so those Seattle radio simulcasts are likely no longer carried.

gtb
Expert

Post by gtb »

thinmint99 wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 1:05 pmWhat is going on here?
I will assert the answer is FUD.

It is (almost) certainly true that broadcasters will be testing ATSC 3.0 Digital Rights Management protected content during their various testing environments (there are some interesting issues IRT both online and offline rights management, and one would think they would want to do some testing).

It is (almost) certainly true that (sooner or later) at least some broadcasters will decide to offer a sub-channel with Digital Rights Management content protection required.

Tablo (as a DVR solution) needs to not only ensure their platform can implement the required protection mechanisms within a secure enclave, also make sure their solution can only run their own signed firmware, *and* get it all validated by an accrediting agency before they are going to be able to get certificates that could be used to obtain the licenses needed access protected content for their DVR solution if and when broadcasters use it. They have suggested that will take at least a few months (given the processes, unless they are far along, no one will be surprised if they are being optimistic about the schedules).

Some have concluded that everyone is out to get them personally and the end is nigh. I believe the reality is less apocalyptic, and has far more potential variations. Everyone is free to make their own predictions, of course.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

We are A3SA licensees (ATSC 3.0 DRM)