DVR Recorded data - Channel Quality analysis?

Want to write your own code to work with a HDHomeRun or work with the HDHomeRun DVR? We are happy to help with concepts, APIs, best practices.
titantractor271

DVR Recorded data - Channel Quality analysis?

Post by titantractor271 »

(Modified because I answered some of my question)

Hi - I am thinking of taking some sample receptions and looking at how I can prevent recordings from failing due to bad reception. The obvious is to delete channels which have problems, but some channels are marginal and work sometimes.... Thoughts? Ways to improve reliability?

I just ran the recordings and then looked at the episode information.... I found that Channel 5.2 can be marginal for me by observing this movie was playing poorly.

"Category": "movie",
"ChannelAffiliate": "MVIES",
"ChannelImageURL": "http://img.hdhomerun.com/channels/US30763.png",
"ChannelName": "WNYWDT2",
"ChannelNumber": "5.2",
"EndTime": 1643151300,

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Re: DVR Recorded data - Channel Quality analysis?

Post by ebo »

The easiest way to check reception quality is with hdhomerun_config_gui.exe. If you've installed HDHomeRun Software for Windows (not to be confused with HDHomeRun App for Windows 10, which is only for viewing and recording) it's in the program directory but there's no link to it, not even in the Start menu, so many HDHR users don't know it exists. I recommend adding a link on your desktop.

You set it to the physical, not virtual channels of stations you're interested in. In your example of WNYWDT2, virtual 5.2, the physical channel is 27.

titantractor271

Re: DVR Recorded data - Channel Quality analysis?

Post by titantractor271 »

ebo wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:24 pm The easiest way to check reception quality is with hdhomerun_config_gui.exe....
Yes thank you! I've been using that application, in fact I've run two of those and two HD Homerun apps on windows (four screens). That worked quite well for instantaneous tuning of the antennas. I am thinking of making a scheduled script which takes a probe of the channels I have on my system. Write a program which takes the channel guide, verifies an open tuner is available and then cycles through the channels (using the hdhomerun command line tools) to read the reception at various times of the day. I had a reception problem with LED light bulbs (announced solved in another thread), but I still have various times reception is not as optimal on all stations. At first I may want to add to a spreadsheet what my SigStrength, SigQual, and SymQual are for each station. I get bummed when I want to watch a movie or show I planned to find a reception problem.